• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Now that Dillon has come out with the 750, is my 650 obsolete ? I haven’t made any comparisons so I don’t know what “improvements” were made to the 650. At some point, perhaps sooner than later since I haven’t loaded any centerfire rounds for about a year, I may decide to sell my 650. I originally purchased the reloader when I was shooting IDPA events, but I’ve since significantly curtailed that activity and I’m not shooting volumes of ammo. I have only ever loaded 9mm which is relatively inexpensive to purchase and keeping the reloader is a bit of an unneeded item for me at this point.

I see very few Dillon reloaders for sale in the classified section here. Perhaps there isn’t much of a market ?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    yep the 650 is old and out of date...BUT i'll take it off your hands, cause thats the kind of guy i am!...i'll even haul it off for oh...10 bucks? that ok???

from what ive read, the only differance between the 650 and 750 is the primer feed system, the 750 is supposed to be more reliable... is it???idk I don't own a 650, but i'm looking at a750 kit with a complete 9mm and 223/556 everything you need its like 1880.00 but its everything for both calibers

I could buy 9mm cheaper than I could reload it (115 grain) but I shoot steel challenge, ive shot my first idpa, and I want to shoot uspsa, and more than likely id shoot 147 grain, and I can reload that cheaper than buying it

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Dillon loaders hold their value pretty well.
    If you decide to sell you should be able to get close to 80% of new price. If you want to sell quick price it around 70%.

The 650 is still a good machine but the priming system had it's quirks.
    The 750 fixes a lot of the 650's quirks.
    A lot of 650 owners are saying that the 750's priming system is the same as the 550 and dismiss it because of that.
    The 550's priming system works well but it is right under the decapping station and all the crap/dirt from that falls on the primer slide and causes problems. Keep the 550 primer slide clean and it works fine so I would think the 750 would be fine. The 750 primer system isn't under the decapping station.
    All the Dillons have quirks but work better than anything out there. IMO

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Dillon loaders hold their value pretty well.
    If you decide to sell you should be able to get close to 80% of new price. If you want to sell quick price it around 70%.

The 650 is still a good machine but the priming system had it's quirks.
    The 750 fixes a lot of the 650's quirks.
    A lot of 650 owners are saying that the 750's priming system is the same as the 550 and dismiss it because of that.
    The 550's priming system works well but it is right under the decapping station and all the crap/dirt from that falls on the primer slide and causes problems. Keep the 550 primer slide clean and it works fine so I would think the 750 would be fine. The 750 primer system isn't under the decapping station.
    All the Dillons have quirks but work better than anything out there. IMO

This sums it up pretty well on all points.
    We don't have a 750, but we do have 2- 550's and a 650. The primer system on both machines have there good and bad.

Jim5528

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is from the Dillon web site.
    The XL750 has a simplified linear priming system. It only requires the removal of two nuts to detach and change sizes on the primer feed system. Like the XL650, the 750 deprimes in station 1 and primes in station 2, minimizing any chance that spent primer residue could interfere with priming.
    The shellplate indexing mechanism has been completely redesigned, so the shellplate turns more smoothly, decreasing cases wobble. The index pawl has been relocated on the ring indexer and the spring direction reversed. This makes it more difficult to accidently break the ring indexer. The index block now has a roller, which also smoothes out indexing.
    Additionally, the index block incorporates a spring-loaded overtravel stop, which significantly increases the life of springs on the machine.
    I had a XL650 and now have the XL750, the priming system is improved and the press runs a lot smoother.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    FWIW, i had a "vacation" from compettive shooting for about 11 years. 5 or 6 years ago i almost decided to get rid of my reloading press, all my reloading gear, competition gun (USPSA open), belt/holster ect.
    i'm really glad I didn't do it, if I had to replace everything I had, the replacement cost would be DOUBLE (or more) than what I had invested already. I started shooting again in '18, only thing I reload now is 155gr SWC in 45acp for my open gun, and average 1 USPSA match a month. I also shoot rimfire challenge, steel challenge RFRO, RFPO and in the process of putting together a 10-22 for RFRI.

personally i'd keep what I have, you never know what may change in the future....

:cheers:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes it is old and out of date. I'll up shootersix's offer to $100 and will even come and pick it up so you don't have to do anything. LOL

Last edited:

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm not a Dillon owner so take my opinions for what they are worth...

Succinctly, No your 650 is not obsolete. Similarly to a 2017 car not being obsolete when they come out with the 2020 model and all it's improvements. The 2017 is just as nice and capable as it was when it was state of the art, it is just that the newest model has some slight refinements and perhaps some incremental capability improvements. (look at the creeping tow ratings on pickups for example).

As far as seeing few reloaders for sale... The market of sellers seems to be very small, as people just don't seem to want to get rid of them. From what I've seen the buyer pool is large, leading to quick sales. Since the items don't languish in the classifieds, sometimes selling in hours, they roll to the bottom very quickly and are forgotten.

I understand bouncing around different shooting disciplines, but I've just about came full circle on my interests. As others have indicated, if you have the space and don't NEED the money, if you are still involved in shooting sports in any manner, I'd recommend holding onto the loader as I suspect you will want to pick up a section of the sport where reloading will be needed again and you will wish you had kept it.

--Rick

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    obsolete? NO. If the 650 was obsolete, why would the 750 have kept so much retro-compatibility?

A glock gen 2 isn't obsolete just because there are newer versions of the same basic pistol. They all still do the same thing.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Also-- a philosophical point. OBJECTS do not become obsolete. TECHNOLOGY does. Mechanisms never do. Ever.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder how much better the priming system is to justify the nearly 2 grand upgrade price? I'm thinking I can hold my mouth right for quite a few more rounds before I think I'll need one?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Wonder how much better the priming system is to justify the nearly 2 grand upgrade price? I'm thinking I can hold my mouth right for quite a few more rounds before I think I'll need one?

???
    The 750 sells for about the same price as the 650.
    No where near 2 grand.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Have I got a deal for you!!

I’ll upgrade your 650 to a 750 for half price! Just send me your 650 and $1000 and I’ll do the rest!

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I am a little surprised to hear of priming issues in the 650. I bought one last year as a Christmas present to myself and have had no issues with the press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom