• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As we are striving for the smallest lightest micro pistols why does SD ammo have to be brass cased? I have a few boxes of Aluminum cased ammo and it is considerably lighter than brass. It would seem to me that a p365 with 12 rounds of aluminum cased ammo would be a lot lighter than brass. Maybe SD is available in Aluminum but I have never seen or heard of it. If not what makes Aluminum unsuitable for SD ammo?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My thoughts here.

SD is the main and most important reason for owning a firearm.
    Why would you use anything but top quality brass SD ammo in it.
    Weight is never a factor for me.

I will not waste my time plinking with Ally cased ammo so I am surely not going to use it in defense of me and mine.

JMHO on this subject.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    It's been my experience that brass cycles better than aluminum or steel, nickel plated brass is even better. Its doubtful someone would even notice a weight difference between aluminum and brass.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's been my experience that brass cycles better than aluminum or steel, nickel plated brass is even better. Its doubtful someone would even notice a weight difference between aluminum and brass.

This. OP, how much weight reduction do you actually anticipate? Honest question. (mainly for introspection) Do you think you could tell the difference? I dont have any aluminum cases on hand to put on a scale, but I presume the difference would be measured in single digit grams per 10-15 rounds. If even that.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    This. OP, how much weight reduction do you actually anticipate? Honest question. (mainly for introspection) Do you think you could tell the difference? I dont have any aluminum cases on hand to put on a scale, but I presume the difference would be measured in single digit grams per 10-15 rounds. If even that.

I don't have the means to accurately weigh them but I can tell that a box of 100 aluminum case is quite a bit lighter than brass from picking them up. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Aluminum case does not run as reliably as brass. If that is true than why do they even make Aluminum case?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have the means to accurately weigh them but I can tell that a box of 100 aluminum case is quite a bit lighter than brass from picking them up. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Aluminum case does not run as reliably as brass. If that is true than why do they even make Aluminum case?

I'd say it's just for a cheaper alternative for plinking/range ammo, especially if one doesn't reload. If you get a FTF at the range, while annoying, it's not a life-threatening situation as it could be in a SD scenario.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I make sure my guns will run anything. If it wont run steel or aluminum it gets gone. My mags are loaded with whatever I handload or whatever I can get a deal on.

I'm a shooter.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

It's all about the Benjamins

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's all about the Benjamins

Pretty much.

I understand the mind set to make sure your guns will run anything. Makes sense in a survival mind set.
    I also understand that if you own a nice hotrod run good fuel in it. This is my mind set. I keep enough ammo on hand to cover about anything that comes up. Its all brass.

No knock if you run ally/steel in your guns. They are yours. Treat them as you wish.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When aluminum case ammo first came out in the '80's, I did an evaluation. Although it shot very accurately, I did get a couple of stoppages due to the mouth of the case catching a tearing upon feeding. I have never had this happen with brass cases. I totally agree with churchmouse. The slightly lighter weight and less cost don't come close to making it a consideration for personal defense ammo. If you like it for range sessions, go for it! Not me, I reload.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Choir member #11 here.
    Aluminum and steel are great for plinking in my plastic guns. Saves me some cash. I will not use it for my nicer guns and especially not for defense.
    I heard only loading mags halfway saves on weight as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The casing is not the place to try and save weight. If you want to save weight, shoot a lighter gun or carry lighter bullets (or fewer of them). Most of the weight of a loaded round is the part that goes down the barrel.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have shot a lot of aluminum over the years, primary Blazer in .45. I never noticed much difference in it as far as dependability in cycling. I have seen a couple rounds though where the bullet ended up seated too deep. I think set back must be easier with aluminum than brass. Just my observations.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    May just be a coincidence but the only squib load I have ever encountered was a CCI Blazer 380acp, the bullet lodged in the barrel.

I have only shot a fraction of factory aluminum vs brass.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    As we are striving for the smallest lightest micro pistols why does SD ammo have to be brass cased? I have a few boxes of Aluminum cased ammo and it is considerably lighter than brass. It would seem to me that a p365 with 12 rounds of aluminum cased ammo would be a lot lighter than brass. Maybe SD is available in Aluminum but I have never seen or heard of it. If not what makes Aluminum unsuitable for SD ammo?

load 11 quality brass rounds in the mags and bingo! you solved your overweight problem solved!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Some comments on this thread suggest ally will damage “good” guns. Was this serious or merely hubris? Does ally damage the firearm ?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I shoot quite a bit of the federal aluminum stuff never had a issue?

It’s not steel and it’s cheap!

I don’t know of any aluminum SD ammo?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I only carry two cartridges. That's real weight savings, as I don't even need a magazine then. I keep one in the chamber and one spare in my opposite side pocket so I'm not lopsided. I accidentally put my car key on my gun side once and walked in circles for three hours before I figured out the problem.

If I'm going to Kandahar and need a few more cartridges, I eat stewed prunes the night before to balance out my total load.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    OK

Looks like BBI has been hit in the head again!

If your new and you haven’t witnessed this before he will return to normal in a few days.
    He may be seen driving circles in a White Castle parking lot again if so stop him and take him home.

Top Bottom