Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Why not Aluminum Case for SD Ammo?

As we are striving for the smallest lightest micro pistols why does SD ammo have to be brass cased? I have a few boxes of Aluminum cased ammo and it is considerably lighter than brass. It would seem to me that a p365 with 12 rounds of aluminum cased ammo would be a lot lighter than brass. Maybe SD is available in Aluminum but I have never seen or heard of it. If not what makes Aluminum unsuitable for SD ammo?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

My thoughts here.

SD is the main and most important reason for owning a firearm.
    Why would you use anything but top quality brass SD ammo in it.
    Weight is never a factor for me.

I will not waste my time plinking with Ally cased ammo so I am surely not going to use it in defense of me and mine.

JMHO on this subject.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Resident Dumbass II GLOCKMAN23C's Avatar

User Info Menu

It's been my experience that brass cycles better than aluminum or steel, nickel plated brass is even better. Its doubtful someone would even notice a weight difference between aluminum and brass.

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Get outta my damn yard.......
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    The wind likes to blow my balls around.
    I will not give, not one more inch. No more compromise. From my cold dead hands.

GOA Member
    The 2A Project Member

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --Thomas Jefferson

A HAM with a radio, and nothing to say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMAN23C View Post
    It's been my experience that brass cycles better than aluminum or steel, nickel plated brass is even better. Its doubtful someone would even notice a weight difference between aluminum and brass.
    This. OP, how much weight reduction do you actually anticipate? Honest question. (mainly for introspection) Do you think you could tell the difference? I dont have any aluminum cases on hand to put on a scale, but I presume the difference would be measured in single digit grams per 10-15 rounds. If even that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

CCI/Blazer used to make a SD round with the aluminum case in 45 ACP.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    This. OP, how much weight reduction do you actually anticipate? Honest question. (mainly for introspection) Do you think you could tell the difference? I dont have any aluminum cases on hand to put on a scale, but I presume the difference would be measured in single digit grams per 10-15 rounds. If even that.
    I don't have the means to accurately weigh them but I can tell that a box of 100 aluminum case is quite a bit lighter than brass from picking them up. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Aluminum case does not run as reliably as brass. If that is true than why do they even make Aluminum case?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Butch627 View Post
    I don't have the means to accurately weigh them but I can tell that a box of 100 aluminum case is quite a bit lighter than brass from picking them up. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Aluminum case does not run as reliably as brass. If that is true than why do they even make Aluminum case?
    I'd say it's just for a cheaper alternative for plinking/range ammo, especially if one doesn't reload. If you get a FTF at the range, while annoying, it's not a life-threatening situation as it could be in a SD scenario.

User Info Menu

I make sure my guns will run anything. If it wont run steel or aluminum it gets gone. My mags are loaded with whatever I handload or whatever I can get a deal on.

I'm a shooter.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Butch627 View Post
    It's all about the Benjamins
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne
    INGO# 3207

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red_zr24x4 View Post
    It's all about the Benjamins
    Pretty much.

I understand the mind set to make sure your guns will run anything. Makes sense in a survival mind set.
    I also understand that if you own a nice hotrod run good fuel in it. This is my mind set. I keep enough ammo on hand to cover about anything that comes up. Its all brass.

No knock if you run ally/steel in your guns. They are yours. Treat them as you wish.

AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast