• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I used up all of my copper jacketed bullets and will now start loading Blue Bullets. They state that you need to flare the mouth enough that the coating is not scraped during seating. They further state that after crimping you should pull a bullet and check the coating and at the most you should see a slight indention. My question for you all is how much flare is too much and what is your diameter after crimping at the top of the case? I am loading 9mm. Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Just flare enough so that when you seat a bullet there is no powder coat pushed above the brass and you should be good. Just crimp enough that the case is straight or .001 less. I've never had 9mm require much of a crimp.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Just flare enough so that when you seat a bullet there is no powder coat pushed above the brass and you should be good. Just crimp enough that the case is straight or .001 less. I've never had 9mm require much of a crimp.[/QUOT

^^^^ :yesway: I do have all Dillon dies but do use the lee factory crimp die.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    The Blue Bullets seem to take less force than the copper plated or FMJ to seat. I flare them just enough to get started.

I currently have it set where the projectile sits down in there pretty nice. I think this may be too much. I believe my ending diameter at crimp is about .379 / .380 but my flare diameter is about .387. I am going to back it off tonight and do my test loads and shoot them out tomorrow.

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I flare just enough so the bullet will fit in just a little. Very little crimp. If your flare is not enough you will usually see a ring of the coating scraped off when you seat the bullet.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Same as the others, flare it just enough so the bullet sits on the case and doesn't scrape any of the coating off, I then crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp die. I use SNS bullets. SNS suggests using a slower burning powder for coated bullets. I've been using Sport Pistol which is supposedly for coated bullets but I have a friend that uses Titegroup without any problems.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Same as the others, flare it just enough so the bullet sits on the case and doesn't scrape any of the coating off, I then crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp die. I use SNS bullets. SNS suggests using a slower burning powder for coated bullets. I've been using Sport Pistol which is supposedly for coated bullets but I have a friend that uses Titegroup without any problems.

I bought some Sport Pistol to try out when I was ready to change over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I usually flare the brass enough so it doesn't scratch or rub off while seating them. Enough to where the bullet sits on top of the case mouth.

I usually watch the first one and if it isn't enough flare I give it some more.

I use lee factory crimp die it seems to make them more consistent in my findings.

Top Bottom