Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decapping ?

Expert

User Info Menu

Decapping ?

So I've been using a Dillon carbide sizing and recapping die for 45acp. But now I'm looking into a universal decapping die specifically a Mighty armory or a FW arms. What I'm confused by are they size dependent per caliber or is it one die to fit them all? So if I buy one of those dies will it work on both a 45acp and a 223 and a 308. Or do i need one per caliber? Then for the swage is it the same concept? Last can I use the swage hold down to prime or is the swage dies just centering and not for hold down? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Help me understand why one would buy just a decapping die when one already owns a sizing die and can size and deprime already and not add an extra step?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

The universal decapping die will work for everything. You just need the appropriate shell plate. Swagging or reaming is either large or small primer.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    Help me understand why one would buy just a decapping die when one already owns a sizing die and can size and deprime already and not add an extra step?
    To wet tumble before sizing. I use a frankford arsenal hand deprimer. Allows me to visually inspect every case and sort it out by caliber as I go. Plus I like seeing the plastic tube modification fill up with primers.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    I am going to have to decap rifle first. Crimped primers year up my sizing die. For handgun I just clean the brass and run them through.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1775usmarine View Post
    To wet tumble before sizing. I use a frankford arsenal hand deprimer. Allows me to visually inspect every case and sort it out by caliber as I go. Plus I like seeing the plastic tube modification fill up with primers.
    I get that, its like old people watching orbital lawn sprinklers for hours at the retirement homes going round and round.

I still don't understand why add an extra step when you want to see defects in your brass, sizing first certainly will bring more defects out of your brass before final inspection.
    But since your adding more steps by wet tumbling one more doesn't really matter.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

I use a universal decapping die just because it's easier. Easier on me, and easier on my press, especially on rifle calibers. As mentioned above, especially if the rifle brass is milsurp, often times the primers are crimped, so decapping and sizing at the same time seemed to put a lot of strain on the press. Not as much of an issue with straight walled pistol calibers though.

Expert

User Info Menu

I'm putting it on a progressive press so I have room to add dies. And if I can buy one die for multiple calibers then why buy seperate dies for each. As far as the swaging I ment in regards to a swage hold down die not the swage itself. Is that still large/small primer specific? And does the FW arms swage hold down die work for holding on the primer stroke or is it just centering the case not holding it down?

User Info Menu

Hmmm that’s interesting. Could be a good upgrade for someone that runs several calibers with bottle necks. It does many calibers with crimp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwh3fPu_6Tg

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmag View Post
    Hmmm that’s interesting. Could be a good upgrade for someone that runs several calibers with bottle necks. It does many calibers with crimp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwh3fPu_6Tg
    Thats one of the reasons I'm unsure about its universality I keep seeing it used on rifle bottle neck rounds but not straight rounds. It seems to me mighty armory has more fame but that this FW arms might be a stronger decapper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast