• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    I've searched the internet and cannot find an exact example of this ammo. Its almost a full box and was wondering its value. Any ideas?

pJUA8FP.jpg

ZaTg6fz.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I've searched the internet and cannot find an exact example of this ammo. Its almost a full box and was wondering its value. Any ideas?

pJUA8FP.jpg

ZaTg6fz.jpg

It may?? have a collector's value, but it sure is a weak load for today's standards..Give me a Federal HST or Hornady Critical Defense/Duty any day over this one..Bill..

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There are a few completed auctions on fleabay for those, but just the empty box. Looks like the box is going for about ten bux. The ammo inside shouldn't add much value.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    That's a hassle for 10 bux dontcha think.....Or maybe not.

Yeah, I suppose so, but it depends on your audience. I bought a few vintage boxes of .25-20 to go with my inherited 1894 and I'm sure I overpaid for them, but it's really cool to have vintage ammo to match the gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I suppose so, but it depends on your audience. I bought a few vintage boxes of .25-20 to go with my inherited 1894 and I'm sure I overpaid for them, but it's really cool to have vintage ammo to match the gun.

Now that is cool.

No knock on anyone looking at or for value as you just never know.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    That box is from 1962 or 1963, so not all that old. The child warning was only in the upper left corner for those two years. Condition is not very good and it isn't full, it's really only valuable for shooting or maybe filling a partial, but mint condition box. Full and in truly mint condition it would probably be worth around $20 or so, primarily of value to someone who wants to display it along with a revolver from that period.

That box without any child warning would be from 1961 (only) and so would be a little more valuable to hardcore collectors since it was only made for one year. For these more common boxes, most of the value comes from people wanting to pair up a mint or near mint box with a period gun. That happens with very rare boxes too, but it's primarily what drives the value on the more common stuff.

In poor condition, even the stuff from 1946 to 1960 is only valuable for shooting or "topping off" a mint box with the exactly correct rounds - headstamp details did change over the years and collectors are sticklers for having the exactly correct cartridges in the box.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

The thing with .25-20 and some other calibers is that the modern shooting ammo is so expensive that it provides a price floor for older boxes even when they aren't in great shape. Figure a decent condition full box of just about any post-WWII kind starts at $60 and goes up to $80 pretty easily. Those have crossover appeal for both the aspiring collector and the shooter.

And yes it is very cool to have vintage ammo to match the gun :cool:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

pJUA8FP.jpg

ZaTg6fz.jpg

sorry,-------- but a currently available cartridge such as .38 special with 158gr. lead bullet has relatvely little collector or shooter value.
    it is probably fine to shoot since I have factory ammo from 1972 and that I reloaded from 1986 that still shoots great.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    That box is from 1962 or 1963, so not all that old. The child warning was only in the upper left corner for those two years. Condition is not very good and it isn't full, it's really only valuable for shooting or maybe filling a partial, but mint condition box. Full and in truly mint condition it would probably be worth around $20 or so, primarily of value to someone who wants to display it along with a revolver from that period.

That box without any child warning would be from 1961 (only) and so would be a little more valuable to hardcore collectors since it was only made for one year. For these more common boxes, most of the value comes from people wanting to pair up a mint or near mint box with a period gun. That happens with very rare boxes too, but it's primarily what drives the value on the more common stuff.

In poor condition, even the stuff from 1946 to 1960 is only valuable for shooting or "topping off" a mint box with the exactly correct rounds - headstamp details did change over the years and collectors are sticklers for having the exactly correct cartridges in the box.

Excellent, thanks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom