• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hey guys,I am a shotgun reloader from years ago,dont do it any more.I hear about special coyote loads from manufactures and I used to reload steel shot for geese.I had to cut my own wads for steel shot back then,it was new thing.Wouldnt it be a good idea to not cut slots in wad so it will stay tight almost all the way to target ? real tight pattern that way.I DONT KNOW if wads come pre-cut nowadays or not.I am thinking that if you dont cut wads or could use ANY size shot , even #7 or 9s and get a super tight pattern, I am not worried about pelt damage , the kill will be used for fresh bait pile.Thanks for any comments/ideas you have on doing this.As of right now, I am going to buy a carlsons yote tube and hevi-shot to try and see how this works.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Pattern testing with both lead and steel, along with slow motion video, have proven that you want the wad "petals" to open and slow the wad down as quickly as possible. What happens if they don't is the powder gasses shove the wad into the shot stream causing crappy patterns. You can also get situations where the wad with shot still in it can flip bottom side forward and become a slug of sorts....I had that happen to me doing some experimenting with home built loads and bismuth shot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I preferred #1 buck for yotes. #4 didn't carry enough energy for a sure kill past 30-35 yards unless you got multiple hits in vital areas, regular 9 pellet 00 loads tended to have holes in the pattern at longer ranges. The #1 loads (especially the 3") had enough pellets for pattern density while individual pellets still had enough energy and penetration for good single pellet kills.
    That said, I much prefer rifles even in thick brush.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I was thinking about turkey loads , they seem to have good reviews on keeping tight patterns out to 50 yards.I am thinking about that and a turkey choke tube from carlsons, anybody use that set-up ? I dont really know how tough it is to bring down a yote,seems they would be thin skinned ? I have read a million reviews on coyote dead shotgun shells, have conflicking answers/results ? Same about coyote choke tubes also.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IME they are quite tough like John stated #1 buck works as would a heavy turkey load.

I use the LEO Federal flight control 00 it holds a very tight patten about 8in at 40 yards it’s available in #1 as well.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I prefer the #4 buck in the Hevi Shot Dead Coyote box. They are pricey... That said...buy a variety of rounds and pattern your gun. There are some very insightful threads in Predator Master forums that discuss patterns, selecting the right choke tube, etc

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Turkey load largest shot size is #4 SHOT

Not buck.

Go #1 buck if running lead.

If you have some heavy shot, maybe go #4 buck.

Turkey loads? Forget it.

Seen a guy light one up, w #4 shot (not #4 buck). It ran 50 yards appearing none the worse for wear, until a .357 mag bullet blew out its heart.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My last shotgun kill was 3 years ago. Mossberg 28" fixed full choke, Federal Turkey loads.
    Head on angle as the yote came right to the call, dead hit in chest area at 58 paces. I average about 30" steps in hunting gear on the ground.
    The Turkey loads killed her immediately. She never flinched. The shot penetrated her chest and destroyed heart and one lung.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I hammered two dogs with turkey tube and 3" #4. Both ran off like nothing was wrong with them. My cou6skinned several with shot just under the skin.

I then popped for a Carlson's with dead yote rounds. I could easily topple over an empty freon tank at 70 yards. Never made it back out. Married with kids back to school as well. Guns had to go.

If I was headed out today a shotgun would be last on my list.

Top Bottom