• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I'm getting ready to buy a Lee Classic 4-Hole Turret Press (w/ the Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure & Small / Large Primer Feeder). I have never reloaded before and have been planning on doing this for several years but never got around to it so I am a NOOB at re-loading.
    My question and request for advice from experienced re-loaders is what type (manufacturer / brand) of powder / primers / bullets would you recommend for the following that I plan on re-loading:

9mm:
    Best Powder Manufacturer =
    Best Primers Manufacturer =
    Best Bullets manufacturer =

.380 ACP:

.38 Special:

.223 Rem:

If you reload any of the above and would like to provide advice as to what manufacturers you have found to give you the best results I would be greatly appreciative. I'm not trying to swipe anyone's secrets - just trying to learn from experienced re-loaders as to what has worked. I'm planning on doing this hobby with my teenage sons so that they also learn how to reload. Thanks in advance for helping out a NOOB re-loader.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Welcome to the world of reloading. My number 1 piece of advice to a new reloader is KISS. Cross over components to calibers as best you can. Doing so keeps shopping for supplies easy and your bench uncluttered. I try to standardize powders and primers as best I can. I’m not sure anything is the “best” but I included some proven combos for general range plinking. Reloading gets more complicated when you’re trying to shave a few pennies off your pistol load or half an MOA off your rifle load. Good luck and happy reloading.

9mm:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = Win 231/HP-38 (same powder)
    Best Primers Manufacturer = Winchester
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Berry’s 124gr round nose

.38 Special:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = Win 231/HP-38
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Berry’s 125gr flat point

.223 Rem:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = H335
    Best Primers Manufacturer = CCI 41
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Hornady 55gr FMJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Welcome to the world of reloading. My number 1 piece of advice to a new reloader is KISS. Cross over components to calibers as best you can. Doing so keeps shopping for supplies easy and your bench uncluttered. I try to standardize powders and primers as best I can. I’m not sure anything is the “best” but I included some proven combos for general range plinking. Reloading gets more complicated when you’re trying to shave a few pennies off your pistol load or half an MOA off your rifle load. Good luck and happy reloading.

9mm:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = Win 231/HP-38 (same powder)
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Berry’s 124gr round nose

.38 Special:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = Win 231/HP-38
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Berry’s 125gr flat point

.223 Rem:
    Best Powder Manufacturer = H335
    Best Primers Manufacturer = CCI 41
    Best Bullets manufacturer = Hornady 55gr FMJ

Thank you for the advice. Greatly appreciated. :yesway:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm getting ready to buy a Lee Classic 4-Hole Turret Press (w/ the Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure & Small / Large Primer Feeder). I have never reloaded before and have been planning on doing this for several years but never got around to it so I am a NOOB at re-loading.
    My question and request for advice from experienced re-loaders is what type (manufacturer / brand) of powder / primers / bullets would you recommend for the following that I plan on re-loading:

9mm:

.380 ACP:

.38 Special:

.223 Rem:

If you reload any of the above and would like to provide advice as to what manufacturers you have found to give you the best results I would be greatly appreciative. I'm not trying to swipe anyone's secrets - just trying to learn from experienced re-loaders as to what has worked. I'm planning on doing this hobby with my teenage sons so that they also learn how to reload. Thanks in advance for helping out a NOOB re-loader.

This is a very open ended question, you'll probably get as many answers as there are powders.
    I've had good luck with AA#2 and tight group in 9mm
    38 we load a lot of 700x
    Might I suggest buying a lb of a couple of different powders and see what you like

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I think you will find that many people use different things and will get a lot of "bests". Some will find one powder that works best for them in each caliber. I also use the KISS method. I try to use powder that be be used in a variety of calibers. I use TiteGroup for 9mm, 380 auto, .38, .45acp, and 44mag. This is all for plinking/ range loads. I use CFE223 for 223. I'm using Berry's RN or FP bullets in all of the pistol rounds and Wolf FMJ for 223. I use CCI primers. This may not be the "best" but it works for me and my occasional range trips.

cjcycles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Ft Wayne
    I’m a competitive shooter and a member of The Blue Bullets Shooting Team.

My go to load for 9mm is Winchester primers, the Blue Bullets 125grn RN, 4.0grns of Winchester Super Field. ~1030fps through a Glock 34

You can get 250 rnds packs from www.thebluebullets.com and try the different profiles if you don’t want buy in bulk. You can use my discount code and get 5% off “Charris”

The simplicity of only having one powder would be really nice, but I haven’t found a powder that I’m that I like across the board. I use Winchester Super Field in 9mm, Vihtavuori N320 for 40S&W, and Winchester Super Target in 45acp. I’ve been trying Alliant Sport Pistol and it looks promising. I’ve worked up a load in 9mm and 3.8grns seems about right.

Last edited:

bigbang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    WSF and 231 both throw very well with the Lee Pro Disk and both work great with 9mm. I've never loaded .380 so I cannot comment there. But I'd go with a powder that will work for both.

For a noob, I'd reccomend FMJ as opposed to lead or plated but that's just me. As a long time loader I don't load lead or plated any more as I wait for bulk deals on FMJ, JSP, or JHP.

I just got supplies for .223 (have never reloaded 223 before) and I went with H335 and CCI 441 as well, but chose a 62grain as my firearm seems to like heavier projectiles.

And hats off to you for getting the youngsters involved!!!

Have fun and be safe!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

9mm:

.380 ACP:

.38 Special:

.223 Rem:

Anything American Made

You have to check as some American Companies import stuff.

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I load and shoot mainly 9mm: I started with Titegroup powder, CCI primers and Berry’s bullets. I would recommend this setup for a little while until you get comfortable.
    I now use Sport Pistol Powder, CCI primers and Hitek coated bullets. I would suggest ordering sample packs of the different bullet profiles to see which one your guns like shooting.
    Check out:
    www:Hoosierbullets.com for the Hitek coated bullets.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Buy, one at a time, and TEST .....

RECORD results .....

I plan on doing that. I am trying to get advice on what manufacturers to start with and go from there. Most of the responses on my question have been great and well appreciated. People who say "read a manual and make your own decisions" aren't very helpful. But overall most of the responses have been terrific in getting me pointed in the right direction to start reloading and I appreciate the help.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Sorry not loading your calibers right now. So my best recall of my beginner problems. The bottle neck cases to me was very easy to get right, load and shoot. Pistol cases in revolvers not bad, semi-autos a different story. Get a case gage for the semi-autos rounds and youÂ’ll save money and time. Another problem I had was for 38 special using very light charges of Bullseye. My measure didnÂ’t make accurate throws at 3.0 grains or less.

IÂ’m starting to load 38 special again, have 125gr and 158gr bullets. Powders I have to start with are Bullseye, W-231/HP-38, Unique and HS-6. Have read not to use tight-group.

Watch out for powders that have similar names tight-group not tite-wad , HP-38 not H-380 and couple others with Clays in the name.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Sorry not loading your calibers right now. So my best recall of my beginner problems. The bottle neck cases to me was very easy to get right, load and shoot. Pistol cases in revolvers not bad, semi-autos a different story. Get a case gage for the semi-autos rounds and youÂ’ll save money and time. Another problem I had was for 38 special using very light charges of Bullseye. My measure didnÂ’t make accurate throws at 3.0 grains or less.

IÂ’m starting to load 38 special again, have 125gr and 158gr bullets. Powders I have to start with are Bullseye, W-231/HP-38, Unique and HS-6. Have read not to use tight-group.

Watch out for powders that have similar names tight-group not tite-wad , HP-38 not H-380 and couple others with Clays in the name.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    For .40 S&w I use titegroup powder which is also good for 9mm and 380. Not sure about 38 but it would probably work fine. Cci primers and xtreme plated bullets that I bout a long time ago before they went up. Seems like Natchez has some fmj for not much more at all so I would probably buy them if I needed some. I think they’re Speer.

for 223 I use h335 powder, cci small rifle primers (I bought 41s before but have not had any problems with the regular spp). Usually Hornady 55gr fmj-bt for plinkers. I think they’re $8 per 100 at Natchez right now. That’s been a really good combo of components for me.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I only load 45 acp and 9 mm. With my 45 acp I use large Winchester primers and 200 grain wad cutters from acme bullets. With 9 mm I use CCI primers with 124 grain acme bullets. I use Sport Pistol powder they say it’s for coated bullets it works great and meter well.
    And I case gauge as well but I always plunk test in my barrel first to make sure my oal is right.

mwwilkew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    I’ve been a happy Montana Gold bullet customer for about 7 years now. Good selection shipped right to your door.

Top Bottom