• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Last yr my grandson got a 28 ga semi auto and his dad did also. This year I purchased a 28 ga O/U. The receipe I am using is 13 gm Alliant 20/28 (new to me), Win AA HS hulls, Win 209 primers, and Win AA HS wads. They have different brands of semi auto 28 ga shotguns. My problem is that this load will not totally cycle their guns. It begins to open the discharge but does not have enough power to totally eject the shells. Any suggestions with 20/28? How about with other powders? The PSI is listed as 11,670. Many thanks.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    What is the rated velocity for this load? I usually try to keep the velocity around 1200-1250 fps for all of my shotshell reloads, regardless of gauge. It sound like it is a powder burn
    rate issue that is causing the hickups in the autoloaders. I would look at some other load recipes that use other powders.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    The Winchester factory powder for the 28ga AA was Win 540. It is now sold by Hodgdon as HS-6. I used it for years while I was still physically able to shoot skeet. It worked perfectly in a Rem 1100 as well as my o/u. I don't remember the charge weight as I haven't loaded any 28ga in 15 or so years. I just loaded to duplicate the factory load. PM me if you need more info.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    For Skeet and Sporting Clays 28ga loads I always used Universal Clays. Never had an issue cycling Rem 1100 28ga autoloader and no recoil in my o/u.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Found some possible solutions to reloads using Alliant 20/28 not ejecting from autoloading shotguns (28 ga). They include:
    --Emailed the folks at Alliant and they gave me the max powder load that I could go too safely (in steps). Hats off to them as most powder companies won't do this
    --Discovered that just by using a different wad, I could increase both pressure and velocity.
    --At one of our members recommendation--bought some Hodgdon HS-6

Will post again once I have time to make the reloads and test them. Thanks again for the help.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Finally got around to testing all the loads. The only one that works in my sons and my grandsons 28 ga autoloaders is:
    ---Hodgon HS-6 18.0 gn
    ---WAAA 28 HS hulls and wads
    ---3/4 oz #9 lead
    ---Win 209 primer

This is supposed to be the same load used in WinAA target loads. Anyhow--I am happy --it works

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Glad you found a load that works. I load 13.0 gr of 20/28 with the same components you listed. Works great in my old Rem 11/48. My other 28 gauge is a SxS, so it works fine in there too.

Top Bottom