• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've had this one for quite some time now and I bought it used. Seems to work well but I have nothing to compare it to.

619A7dF6wlL._SX679_.jpg

ACwAAAAAAQABAAACADs=

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Wet or dry?

I can’t comment on wet, but I have a dry Frankford Arsenal model and a Graf and Sons branded one about the same size. Both in the $40 price range. The FA one is several years old and has been worked hard. Both are loud enough that I run them on a timer while I’m at work.

As much as I’d like a big Dillon tumbler, I can have a fleet of these small ones that add up to more capacity for the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I have a STM wet tumbler, a Lyman Turbo Tumbler and a sonic cleaner and each one has its plus and minus when it comes to cleaning.

Wet tumbling will get the cases the cleanest but can peen the case mouths so I trim and deburr after each wet tumbling.

Vibratory tumblers are the simplest to use but you can have media stuck in the flash holes and a dust problem. I have had three vibratory tumblers and the Lyman I have now cleans faster and better than any type I had before.

Sonic cleaning will clean the cases very well but the cases will not have the "bling" of wet tumbling with stainless steel media. And sonic cleaning is my prefered cleaning method. I bought a $80.00 clone of the Lyman sonic cleaner on Amazon, and use dishwashing liquid and LemiShine with good results.

When I use my vibratory tumbler I use untreated pet store lizard litter with Nu Finish car polish.

Last edited:

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    another one for Frankford Arsenal. It's the only one i've ever had and has cleaned thousands of cases (9mm to 30-06) with both walnut (with nu finish) and treated corn cob. DEFINITELY the most cost effective option (i think they're all of $35!)

no complaints here. for the extra time involved in wet tumbling and sonic cleaning, I could be competing another step in the reloading process. while i'll admit, nothing comes close to the aesthetics of wet tumbled brass, i'm more of a 'function over form' kinda guy and basically only tumble to get dirt/debris/caked carbon off the old brass.

I always tumble with primers loaded and never have an issue with pockets getting blocked. That being said, i DID have a run of my 'match' -'06 go through the tumbler without primers, and I just loaded as normal...everything shot and it was all just as accurate as the next/previous batches.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a cabelas one close to 20 yrs old. Just blew the dust out of it and lubed the motor. Like brand new again.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Get a tumbler from a company that specializes in them. Thumler Model B.

Use steel and water for range pickup and otherwise dirty junk.

Use dry sushi rice for cleanish brass.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've had this one for quite some time now and I bought it used. Seems to work well but I have nothing to compare it to.

619A7dF6wlL._SX679_.jpg

ACwAAAAAAQABAAACADs=
    I have one of these from the 80's that's still going strong. and a Midway 2094 that's probably from the 90's. I inherited both of these, they were used heavily before I got them.
    I have a Berry's from the early 90's I bought. I had to repair the bowl where it attaches to the base, but still going strong.
    I was given a Frankfort Arsenal that looked like it had never been used, works great also.
    Depending on whats going on they can all be running at the same time

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    If liquid, look into lapidary tumblers. Made to polish stones and last a long time. I am running two that are hex shaped and are over 45 years old.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've had a Lyman 1200 at least 30 years. Something broke and while I was waiting on a replacement part, I bought an FA dry tumbler. Seems to work as well as the Lyman (both are running now again). I can't tell a lot of difference in corn cob versus walnut hull media. I've also purchased a Lyman wet tumbler but haven't tried it yet.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've been using the big ass Dillon tumbler for years now. Yes wet tumblers makes brass pretty but after repeatedly getting reloaded, they will eventually get replaced with new brass and start the cycle over.
    If I ever needed another tumbler, I'd just buy a Dillon again.

Once you go BLUE, all others are Poo. :yesway:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've been using the big ass Dillon tumbler for years now. Yes wet tumblers makes brass pretty but after repeatedly getting reloaded, they will eventually get replaced with new brass and start the cycle over.
    If I ever needed another tumbler, I'd just buy a Dillon again.

Once you go BLUE, all others are Poo. :yesway:

Yep, me to... Money well spent...

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Best bang for the buck is the berrys blue kit.

The clear top and fast knob/nut make me like it so much more over my lyman....and its quieter.

Shred

Top Bottom