• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Do any of you re-loaders use an electric total case prep station? Age and arthritis do not assist with manual trimming and prep so I am looking at a couple of options. #1 Hornady Lock & Load Case Prep Center- does it all on rifle and pistol cases, trim, chamfer, clean primer pockets ($450). #2 Lyman Brass Smith Trimmer, only trims bottleneck rifle cases + Lyman Case Prep Express, does the rest ($270 total cost), still have to do straight wall cases manually. Would appreciate any input you have on durability, workability etc. on both of these options.

Can’t consider Dillon or any of the caliber specific individual trimmers due to overall cost and use of drill or manual crank.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I use one and wouldn't go back :>)...

Nothing as quality as you are looking at but I have had the Frankford arsenal case and prep center for a couple of years now, and it really makes prepping brass a lot more enjoyable. I did replace the standard cutter with a carbide cutter. It is a bit of a pain to change calibers for trimming to length (maybe they all are), but I just make sure to do lots of the same ones at a time. This thing is heavy and seems very well built, and I have put thousands of rounds through it. It seems a good value at $150.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...-series-case-trim-and-prep-center/903156.html

Ron

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also have the Frankford Arsenal platinum case trimmer and prep center and love it but it only trims shouldered cases.

I know you said drills are out of the question. I have seen before where people have built some kind of jig to hold the electric drill in place. You could get a foot pedal switch so you aren't holding the trigger switch. Using this would allow you to use a Lyman manual trimmer with a power adapter that costs about $30. With this set up you could then chuck up case prep tools like primer pocket brush. There is also an adapter you can get for chamfer/ deburring.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012903982

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I have the Lyman case prep,, thing works great. I’d be will to sell it, as I’m not doing much reloading these days

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I use an RCBS case prep station with a Lee trimmer installed and Lee caliber specific dead-length case gauges (only a few $ each). It's not as fast as the expensive dedicated trimmers, but it's much better than doing it manually. I've also installed Lyman VLD chamfer and debur tooling to supplement the RCBS standard chamfer tool and primer pocket reamer. With this setup, I only handle each case one time during prep.

90468.jpg

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1016833729?pid=509050

Top Bottom