• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Any one know of a Garand safe 30’06 hunting cartridge? Most of the commercial stuff is too hot.

I’m not a hand loader but would like to freezer a deer next year with my Dad’s Garand.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Any one know of a Garand safe 30’06 hunting cartridge? Most of the commercial stuff is too hot.

I’m not a hand loader but would like to freezer a deer next year with my Dad’s Garand.

What makes you think the commercial stuff is too hot? The Garand has one of the strongest receivers ever built. From my experience, commercial ammo is weaker than military loads - probably for liability reasons. I would not have a problem running ANY commercial 30-06 rounds through any of my Garands.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You have to watch the pressure. Yes the reciever is fairly strong, but the OP rod is not. You can bend op rods pretty easy.
    Im not home right now so I can't look but there's a FPS you want to stay below. From memory I want to say 2700FPS.
    I want to say you can damage the reciever heel from the op rod slamming into it.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Go here https://bearblain.com/Service Rifle Loadings.html to view service loads for M1 Garand, go to garandgear.com look for the studies done in a M1 using commercial ammo. If you decide to use commercial ammo, you may want to study up on peak pressure, and check out a Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug, a McCann gas plug, or the ported gas plug from garandgear.com. Suerte.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Go here https://bearblain.com/Service Rifle Loadings.html to view service loads for M1 Garand, go to garandgear.com look for the studies done in a M1 using commercial ammo. If you decide to use commercial ammo, you may want to study up on peak pressure, and check out a Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug, a McCann gas plug, or the ported gas plug from garandgear.com. Suerte.

This is what I would recommend too. The adjustable gas plug opens up a lot more possibilities since you can mitigate any op rod issues by adjusting the gas pressure. Just make sure you shoot the deer at least 8 times so you get the Garand "ping"... ;)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If concerned about pressure Remington makes a soft point reduced recoil load. Had the wife dialed in with them for hog and ram killing. May be a good starting point for you if you are not a hand loader.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    PPU makes an M1 safe FMJ. They also have another loading that is a 150 grain soft point. I have fired the soft point in my garand. This is an internet post with all associated disclaimers. But I can tell you the PPU 150 grain soft point functioned fine in my gun, didn’t feel different and shoots to the same as the garand safe 150 grain FMJ. The velocities are different in the specs. I have 1 box in the ammo can just in case I ever wanted to hunt with the old rifle.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Top Bottom