• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I see where Winchester has jumped on the band wagon and is now making "match" pistol primers. Winchester pistol primers have been my "go to" primers for years. I've done a lot of machine rest tests of centerfire pistols at 50 yards using the Winchester primers and have found that with the right pistol, powder, powder charge and bullet that some very nice groups can be had. I'm thinking that "match' pistol primers of any brand are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and is just a marketing ploy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Maybe they are softer, easier to set off for something with a custom low power hammer spring.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    If they market it right someone will pay extra. Or as my son that works for a large soft drink manufacture says it is all in the perception people have of a product.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Maybe they are softer, easier to set off for something with a custom low power hammer spring.
    From what I gather they are no different, except being made by the most experienced employees who hold the tolerances tighter. I maybe can see some value in "match" rifle primers for certain purposes, but pistol? I have my doubts.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I believe they are weighed and sorted for best consistency. Average shooter will never see a difference.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I usually use magnum primers for the hotter spark to me they seem more consistent with my loads. If the powder is 20gr or more.

Would a match primer make much difference for pistol calibers like 9mm, 40SW, and 45acp?

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While we are talking primers who has the cheapest primers? The lowest I've seen was at Bass Pro when I was Christmas shopping. I picked up 1000 CCI Small Rifle for $35 out the door. Local gun shop has them for $42 out the door.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    While we are talking primers who has the cheapest primers? The lowest I've seen was at Bass Pro when I was Christmas shopping. I picked up 1000 CCI Small Rifle for $35 out the door. Local gun shop has them for $42 out the door.
    If you ever make it down Louisville, KY way, Kentuckiana Reloading in Clarksville, IN usually have decent prices on primers for small quantities. Call them before making a trip to make sure they have what you want in stock. I just got a large quantity from Powder Valley. If you can buddy up with a few reloaders, you can split the shipping and HAZMAT fees.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Site sponsor Bobcat Armament is in Shelbyville. They’re fair on price and I bought quite a few primers off them when CCI had a rebate this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom