Join INGunOwners For Free
    Plinker

User Info Menu

9mm case/powder volume?

Hs6,231,Hp-38, Power Pistol possibly one not mentioned. Im new to loading 9mm and Im looking for a powder that takes up a large amount of case volume to help guard against a double charge. Id like to know before I buy a powder for just the 9mm. Ive loaded revolver cartridges for a few years now never a auto cartridge. Thanks for the help

User Info Menu

I load several different calibers including 9mm, and I don't think I ever would have been able to double charge them without powder falling out. On the other hand I use loading trays and when I have powdered 50 (which what the tray holds), I stop and look in each one to make sure I didn't miss filling any brass with powder.

Ron
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training. -Archilochus

Plinker

User Info Menu

Look no further than your username! I got a deal on several lbs of Unique for cheap and it nearly fills the case in my range loads.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pembertont View Post
    Look no further than your username! I got a deal on several lbs of Unique for cheap and it nearly fills the case in my range loads.
    Ditto, Unique does a good job of filling the 9mm shell. I also use Sport Pistol and that does a good job of filling the case also. Either one would overflow if it had a double charge.

Plinker

User Info Menu

This picture is 4 grns of Sport Pistol which makes power factor with a 125gr Blue Bullet.

Winchester Super Field is really close to the same and a great powder for 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I load 4.3gn Titegroup for 115gn projectiles. I also use 3.9gn HP-38 for 124gn.

The level looks very similar to the picture posted by cjcycles. Double charges are VERY obvious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karl-just-Karl View Post
    I load 4.3gn Titegroup for 115gn projectiles. I also use 3.9gn HP-38 for 124gn.

The level looks very similar to the picture posted by cjcycles. Double charges are VERY obvious.
    4.3 of titegroup is my favorite load for my 115gr. Gives me great results in about 95% of my handguns and pc carbine.
    Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one. -Chesty Puller

Master

User Info Menu

I have used Power Pistol for 9mm loads for a long time, and for the exact reason you mentioned. A double charge will overflow the case, not just fill it up more than usual.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    Hs6,231,Hp-38, Power Pistol possibly one not mentioned. Im new to loading 9mm and Im looking for a powder that takes up a large amount of case volume to help guard against a double charge. Id like to know before I buy a powder for just the 9mm. Ive loaded revolver cartridges for a few years now never a auto cartridge. Thanks for the help
    I use BlueDot for 9mm, .357 and .38. It fills up pretty much the entire 9mm case. Not quite a compression load, but close.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Blue Dot.

Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian