Effects Of Outdoor Temperature On Reloaded Shotshells ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Have seen cautions on line about shooting reloaded shotshells in the hot summer that were reloaded in the winter. Say you reload in your garage at 60 F---and then shoot them outside when it's say 85. Is there really that much of a change in pressure? Exactly why? Always wondered about this and would appreciate a detailed answer. Obviously things expand when it's warmer but what happens to the powder etc?

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I reload all year for Cowboy Action. Never heard of such a thing. It's not like the temp in your HOUSE changes that much. It's not 35 in your reloading room or 80+. WTH

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have reloaded thousands and thousands of shotshells during all times of the year and never experienced any adverse or notable effects of season or temperature.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not quite. Its load testing and working up a load that is the issue.

When you try to work up a load and chrono it in the cold, it will perform much "hotter" (no pun) during the summer.

So its not when you load that matters. Its when you test an unknown load to determine max velocity that matters.

The takeaway: When you are testing a new load, do the testing outside during the heat of summer, not outside in the cold. Once you have a good load, reload to that spec any time you please.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not quite. Its load testing and working up a load that is the issue.

When you try to work up a load and chrono it in the cold, it will perform much "hotter" (no pun) during the summer.

So its not when you load that matters. Its when you test an unknown load to determine max velocity that matters.

The takeaway: When you are testing a new load, do the testing outside during the heat of summer, not outside in the cold. Once you have a good load, reload to that spec any time you please.

Nailed it.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I thought the spikes came when max loads are put in a hot barrel and sit there & bake for a couple minutes before being fired. When I shoot in Oklahoma in July, temps are 100+ degrees and barrels run 135.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I thought the spikes came when max loads are put in a hot barrel and sit there & bake for a couple minutes before being fired. When I shoot in Oklahoma in July, temps are 100+ degrees and barrels run 135.

That too. The hotter the powder is, the more power it produces when ignited. Whether its due to ambient temps or chamber temps it doesnt matter.

The danger is when you develop a load in cold temps and its already a little "hot".

(random numbers for art of discussion, I didnt actually run any calculations)
    So lets say you work up a load you want to be +P but you test the ladder load this time of year, and your outdoor range is at 25F. Lets say you end up with 4.6 gr under a 124gr 9MM and its only pushing 1200FPS. (book says max is 4.4gr)

You load it up and go to a range in AZ 6 months later. Range temps are now nearly 100F. That round might now blow up a poorly engineered gun because now its got MUCH more energy and is trying to push that same bullet at 1600FPS and kablooey!

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    nonsense
    reloading for hunting & target loads using various reloading manuals
    staying within starting & max loads
    paying careful attension to listed components and OAL max
    careful examination of your brass.
    temp.@ time of shooting in a temperate climate like Indiana is a very small variable.
    although I do check to see the gun is sighted in with the ammo I intend to use; when I intend to use it.
    If I travel out-of-state I will check to see sights are still on. Cost of out-of-state license fees & travel cost & common sense will prevail.
    and better worry more about your clothing being correct for the local temps. that your reloads.
    LMAO

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    BTW
    I use reloaded ammo for almost all my firearms with the obvious exception of rimfire.
    and I shoot year-round outdoors
    and I reload year-round indoors
    I do cast bullets outdoors for safety sakes though

Top Bottom