Anyone close to Kokomo willing to teach me to reload?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought everything I think I need, and I'm sure I can figure it out, but I'd rather someone with experience teach me to reload. Anyone?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Even if you do find someone to teach you, make sure you read the instruction portion of a good reloading manual. Your teacher may very well forget to mention something or may have an unsafe habit or two.

I think Hornady's manual does a really good job of explaining the process, but a lot of people prefer Lyman's book. Either one is suitable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Even if you do find someone to teach you, make sure you read the instruction portion of a good reloading manual. Your teacher may very well forget to mention something or may have an unsafe habit or two.

I think Hornady's manual does a really good job of explaining the process, but a lot of people prefer Lyman's book. Either one is suitable.

I like the Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. It seemed to me to be the most comprehensive manual available.
    Before I started reloading (on my own) I was advised to buy at LEAST 3 different manuals, and read them all.
    I did, and learned a great deal before ever drooping the first charge.

I picked the brain of every hand loader I know before I started, and I have still not loaded any bottle-necked cartridges.
    I've stuck to straight-walled handgun cartridges. I wanted to get comfortable at lower pressure rounds before moving up.

Hand loading is not that hard, but needs your undivided attention.
    It may not be hard to do, but it's also not that hard to screw up if you don't pay attention.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been reloading since I was a kid
    Pick propellants that fill cases.
    Always loaded for performance, never for cheapest.
    Have not screwed anything up either.

The guys that do, usually very high volume shooters trying to make the cheapest fodder. Which ia scary when some want to burn it through class 3 $$$ rigs.

Btw, i like the Nosler manual.

Lyman turret presses .....a Spar T for pistol and the Mag for rifle. Leave em set up for 4 cartridges.

I dont shoot a variety of ammo through a rifle. Each has a specific purpose and gets a great handload.
    Of course they might also shoot a factory round for another application just fine.

But once i find the main purpose handload that gives me what I want, no further development or experimentation.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had Speer and Hornady manuals, gave em away after I read em. They were fine.

Im not into cast boolit rifle stuff, or even handgun.
    Do like to cast boolits though.....and the old yellow sizing lube smelled good.

Pops has a bunch of moulds and if it was raining and we couldnt shoot.....wed cast.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW....most of my loads end up over max.
    Freaks some people out
    Differences in some manuals, old vs new.
    Powder lot variance and chamber dims.....you always start in the safe zone and watch for pressure.

If you show hot before max, well.....youre done.
    Book doesnt mean squat.

Same as if over max and no over pressure sign.

A LOT of people think the book sets all limits.

Go slow. Pay attention. Monitor. And Think. Most folks cant do two of those things.
    They have problems reloading.

If you have OCD or are a detail freak, youll be fine :)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    BTW....most of my loads end up over max.
    Freaks some people out
    Differences in some manuals, old vs new.
    Powder lot variance and chamber dims.....you always start in the safe zone and watch for pressure.

If you show hot before max, well.....youre done.
    Book doesnt mean squat.

Same as if over max and no over pressure sign.

A LOT of people think the book sets all limits.

Speaking of unsafe habits...

The companies that publish these books use specialized equipment to measure pressure. They determine max loads because that load is the maximum that will stay under the safe pressure limit for a given cartridge.

Hookeye may be braver than I, but I don't risk blowing up a firearm inches from my face because I think my looking at a case is a better measure than a manufacturer's test barrel and equipment.

Everyone gets to make their own decisions; I have decided that the component manufacturers are to be believed when they set a maximum.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Speaking of unsafe habits...

The companies that publish these books use specialized equipment to measure pressure. They determine max loads because that load is the maximum that will stay under the safe pressure limit for a given cartridge.

Hookeye may be braver than I, but I don't risk blowing up a firearm inches from my face because I think my looking at a case is a better measure than a manufacturer's test barrel and equipment.

Everyone gets to make their own decisions; I have decided that the component manufacturers are to be believed when they set a maximum.

I agree for the most part, but there are times that I need the bullet to be pushed faster than loading manuals print, or I have a powder thats not listed in any manuals that I want to try and see how well it worked in any given caliber.
    And for that I use Quick Load Software, so simple, enter all necessary data and hit enter. You know before loading any rounds if that powder/ bullet combination will work and be safe to shoot. Money well spent.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Blowing up a firearm?
    Hell I've never stuck a case.
    Only pressure sign I've seen, really wasn't.
    I did buy a 7 mag off a bud and the load it liked (160's he came up with) had primer pockets expand...but that was with junk Remington brass.
    Monitored it. Yup, 2 reloads and throw it away, rather than risk it.
    Hell even book loads in .243 did that after a few, Remington brass.
    This was 30 plus yrs ago. Dunno if it got better, but back then that seemed to be a common issue.

Blowing stuff up is folks using the wrong powder or using low volume and throwing a double.
    And they do that on handguns usually.

Like I said, I don't really experiment, so mixing stuff up aint gonna happen.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If just going by the book you might be putting yourself in danger.
    ALWAYS inspect cases.
    You might have screwed up, or had an equipment issue add error.
    What if rifle or components not to spec?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't think a max load or a little over, approaches a proof load LOL

FWIW I get more powder in a neck sized case. Never have checked to see if chamber dims are within spec.
    Never stuck or blown a case, and no leaky or excessive flattened primers either.

Years ago, 40XB KS was new item, a guy I knew bought one at Lengels. .220 Swift.
    He had a reputation for running things above max. Considerably.

Was at the range not long after when he locked it up LOL.
    Got it unstuck I guess, as I saw him some time later and he said he was still blowing up chucks w hot loads.
    Dunno how long that barrel lasted though :)

Im not that adventuresome. I aint a scaredy cat either.
    A little over book shouldn't pose a problem if things allow for it, which is checked for during development.
    I suppose one could get flattened primers in some instances BEFORE book max is achieved.

Interesting how yrs ago we checked old/new/different books and max was different.
    Dunno if that by lawyers or propellants had changed.
    Was lets say, old 4350 different than new 4350?

More stuff to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have read where some guys go for least damaging to brass loads, shoot a lot, run same brass in various rifles and try to get many loads out of a case.
    I'm content to throw away my brass after a fair amount of reloads.
    I aint that damn cheap.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    This thread went a little sideways. It’s a great idea to get someone to show you the ropes. Most people learn best by visualization. I hope you find someone to help you out.

Top Bottom