Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reloading the 9 mm in 115 and 147 grain FMJ + Reloading Data acquisition

User Info Menu

Reloading the 9 mm in 115 and 147 grain FMJ + Reloading Data acquisition

I did a Google Advanced search and flipped through 5-6 pages in this sub-forum but couldn't find a thread that answered my questions or had a title that I thought would garner input.

So here goes:

1. I'm looking for good load data (either online or a book) that covers 115gr and 147 gr FMJ RN projectiles. I have a bunch and want to use them up before I move on to other weights/types. I'm working with Titegroup(TG) and 231. I tried Hodgdon and they returned just a couple results and neither were my projectiles. I checked my Hornady book and it has data for 115gr with 231, but no TG. 147 gr, neither. My Lyman book has load data but I notice that the specs are very much different than the Hornady book. What's up with that?

2. I have the most loadings of a round for my 1911 in 9 mm and a couple years of basically test loads for the various pistols I have been trying (ala Doddg). I got all sideways loading for my CZ and their infamous short chambers and a bout with some coated bullets that were too inconsistent.

I have always had good luck with FMJ RN so I'm sticking with them at least for now.

These rounds will be used in a M&P 2.0 Compact for training classes, range time, and if I ever start gaming, that too. I'm not worried about PF since USPSA is not on my radar.

Lastly, besides looking for input on where to find reliable data, I'd be interested in what you have found that you like.

I'd also like some .38 Special data for my revolvers.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

I've found these to be an AWESOME resource for easily finding and comparing load data.....https://www.cabelas.com/product/Load...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

From my 9mm book:

Hornady data for their 115gr FMJ-RN:
    Win 231 powder
    1.100" oal
    4.1gr/1000fps
    4.7gr/1050fps
    4.7gr/1100fps

Sierra data for their 115gr JHP and FMJ
    JHP=1.050"oal
    FMJ=1.100" oal

Titegroup data:
    3.7gr/1000fps
    4.0gr/1050fps
    4.2gr/1100fps
    4.5gr/1150fps

Win 231 data:
    3.8gr/1000fps
    4.3gr/1050fps
    4.8gr/1100fps
    5.3gr/1150fps

Speer data for their 115gr TMJ RN
    1.135" oal
    Titegroup data:
    start charge-4.1gr/1061fps
    max charge-4.5gr/1121fps

WIN 231 data:
    start charge-4.4gr/1026fps
    max charge-4.9gr/1133fps

Hodgdon's data for the 115gr Speer GDHP and the Hornady 147gr XTP oughta get you in the ballpark with your FMJ RN bullets with Titegroup and 231.... just do the usual start low and work up thing. Also, keep in mind that XTP oal lengths are usually pretty short so maybe lengthen your loads out a bit during development if your gun/mags will allow it.

User Info Menu

Winchester 231 - I only load coated lead anymore.
    115 grain - ? never loaded them but 4.3 gr is a starting load for LRN
    124 grain - 4.1 gr
    135 grain - 3.7 gr
    147 grain - 3.4 gr

Again these are for lead. FMJ would take a bit more powder but since power factor is not your concern. those amounts I listed should also match closely if you are using a Lee auto disc.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Awesome first couple posts! Exactly what I'm looking for. I have the 9th Edition Hornady manual. Which edition manual do you have T? Mine does not have TG load data. I'm not averse to buying a new one.

Looking at the Hornady data after your comments about OAL, I see they show the 147 gr FMJ RN at 1.165" and the XTP at 1.100". But no 231 or TG loads.

Vert, I'll move to 135's most likely once I've used what I have up, and I loaded some coated 135's in the past and still have about 200 rounds left. They wouldn't work in my CZ but they do fine in my 1911 and M&P. I'll have to check what my loading was but I think it was around 3.7-3.9. I'll keep this data for when the time comes.

I load on a Rock Chucker.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

The Hornady data is from a 9mm Loadbook like I linked above.
    Concerning 147gr loads, yea, they only show loads with slower burn rate powders for that weight. That's why I mentioned Hodgdon has loads in that weight but they use the XTP instead of a RN.
    It's the typical reloader's issue where your components, in this case your bullets, don't perfectly match the load data. You just have to use caution while working up the loads and that's why I mentioned paying attention to the short oal of the Hodgdon data.

Here's the 9mm 147gr data I'm able to find from Hodgdon:

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

Plinker

User Info Menu

I've used Titegroup successfully with both bullet weights, regardless if the bullets were plated plated, coated or FMJ. However, my attempt using 231 (aka HP-38) produced loads that wouldn't cycle the slides on any of my firearms. I finally got them to work by putting in a reduced power spring on my 1911, but have essentially moved back to Titegroup for all my 147 bullets.

Sorry, I'm away from my load diary so don't have powder charges in front of me, and I never did chronograph any of them so couldn't comment on actual velocities either.

--Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Awesome first couple posts! Exactly what I'm looking for. I have the 9th Edition Hornady manual. Which edition manual do you have T? Mine does not have TG load data. I'm not averse to buying a new one.

Looking at the Hornady data after your comments about OAL, I see they show the 147 gr FMJ RN at 1.165" and the XTP at 1.100". But no 231 or TG loads.

Vert, I'll move to 135's most likely once I've used what I have up, and I loaded some coated 135's in the past and still have about 200 rounds left. They wouldn't work in my CZ but they do fine in my 1911 and M&P. I'll have to check what my loading was but I think it was around 3.7-3.9. I'll keep this data for when the time comes.

I load on a Rock Chucker.
    CZ and Walther both like to be loaded on the short side. 9mm 1911 needs to be loaded longer to get it to feed. See the problem? I have been able to find a 124 grain LRN and a 135 grain RN that will run in all of my guns.

I have about 4000 124 grain truncated cone bullets at my friends house that I bet would shoot awesome in a CZ. They are accurate in a Walther PPQ, and Glocks. Like really accurate. But I can’t get them to work in the 1911. So now I am stuck with the decision to load them or sell them.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

I have three different 9mm pistols all three take a different oal so I just use the shorter of the three for my oal for whatever bullet I'm using.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

I've used titegroup @ 4.2g with 115g copper rn..OAL 1.158 and it's a good shooter. When went to 147g , I used titegroup at 3.2g because I was going on power factor for competition.,,at 1.156 at OAL ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
    I've used titegroup @ 4.2g with 115g copper rn..OAL 1.158 and it's a good shooter. When went to 147g , I used titegroup at 3.2g because I was going on power factor for competition.,,at 1.156 at OAL ..
    Interesting. My brother just suggested I try 3.2 TG for my 147's. Sounds like confirmation. I will check col for my barrels. Thanks.

Anything is possible

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast