• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok I have decided to get back into the reloading game. I'll be loading shotshells only at this time.
    In getting started, I am building a reloading bench to be put in the garage. A couple questions have come to mind...
    What effect would humidity have on supplies such as powder if left in the powder hopper for weeks at a time? How are others storing their powder and primers etc?

When we reloaded years ago we just had everything set up in my grandmas basement. So never really had much concern for how atmospheric conditions effected supplies. But moving to my non climate controlled garage makes me wonder what concerns I should address

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    with the swings of temps and humidity in indiana,
    keep powder & primers in the house when not being used for a while,
    find someplace in the house to reload,
    or heat/cool the garage.

when I lived in florida, I reloaded in the garage, it was always hot in there.
    my reloading room is in my basement, temp and humidity stays pretty steady year round.

:cheers:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    When I used the garage I stored powder, primers, dies , and digital scale/ calipers in the house. Kept press well lubed after use. Not ideal but it can be done.

I also kept all loaded ammo in the house as well.

Why load shot shells? They are super cheap especially in bulk buys. I've seen tons of equipment at yard sales and they can't give the stuff away along with lead casting equipment.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I used the garage I stored powder, primers, dies , and digital scale/ calipers in the house. Kept press well lubed after use. Not ideal but it can be done.

I also kept all loaded ammo in the house as well.

Why load shot shells? They are super cheap especially in bulk buys. I've seen tons of equipment at yard sales and they can't give the stuff away along with lead casting equipment.

Well, I've already got a MEC progressive press, couple bags of shot, few bags of wads and a few 5 gal buckets full of hulls. Only thing I need to get started is some more primers (only have 1 box). In warmer months I will shoot a couple rounds of trap per week with my daughter and since often we go shoot trap as a family activity, it gets expensive when you blow through a flat of shells or so every time you go shoot...more when we shoot sporting clays. I haven't shopped for supplies or done any math but would like to think reloading would still be cheaper than buying premium shells new all the time. Anyone have data to show otherwise?

Since the garage is where I will have to do my reloading, I will be storing powder & primers in the house.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Last I checked the shot costs more than loaded shells. You would have to shoot a metric ton or want to shoot some special loads for it to be worth while.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why shotshells? That is the one cartridge that makes no sense from a cost perspective unless you need something special from your loads. Reloading them costs more than cheap target loads from what I have seen.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I hear ya fellas. Reloading is more expensive than cheap bulk pack shells. I get it but I shoot Gun Clubs, STS, Nitro 27 or AA's. Having done some pattern board work the premium shells just perform better. Since I will be shooting registered targets this year I don't want cheapo shells.
    Now back to the original questions is there any issue I should be aware of regarding leaving powder in the garage? How will humidity effectthe powderand primers? Is the effect even noticeable?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I hear ya fellas. Reloading is more expensive than cheap bulk pack shells. I get it but I shoot Gun Clubs, STS, Nitro 27 or AA's. Having done some pattern board work the premium shells just perform better. Since I will be shooting registered targets this year I don't want cheapo shells.
    Now back to the original questions is there any issue I should be aware of regarding leaving powder in the garage? How will humidity effectthe powderand primers? Is the effect even noticeable?

IMO, the primers would be OK, but everything I've seen says to keep powder in sealed containers and NOT to leave it in the press hopper. Even when I did try loading shotgun I emptied the powder hopper after a loading session and put it back into the factory container.

--Rick

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Is there a test for powder left in the hopper for a long time? Or just assume it's bad and discard?

I was always told to watch for clumping or for the powder to develop a brown tone to it (meaning it is oxidizing)

I've never seen either condition so I can't say for sure.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    All my shotgun reloading has been cleaned and stored away, couldn't justify the cost and time for reloading standard trap rounds, cheaper to buy them as of this post!!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Any cost data for comparison? What kind of shells were you comparing to?

Not arguing just not sure how reloading cost compares to buying premium shells. At this point only thing I need to load probably about 3 flats is primers. So I figure why not go for it. Past that I don't know what it would cost since I haven't bought any supplies.

But I think it is much like reloading 9mm. If 9mm is $10/box of 50 and Gun Clubs are $7/box of 25 ($14/50), how can anyone by comparison justify reloading 9mm? But plenty of people do

Top Bottom