NOOB Help Request:Is there a way to "un-flare" brass casings - specifically 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    So I am just one week into being a reloader. I got a 4-die Lee Classic Turret Press. I'm having issue with the powder thru expanding die (I'm using the Lee Powder Measure on this set up). Once I got this press set up everything was going smoothly for about the first 30 rounds of 9mm. Then for some reason the brass casings started to flare out way too wide (I am using brass that I saved from shooting over the years and I polished it, etc.). I realized that for some reason my expanding die had moved and I had to take it off the turret and re-calibrate it so that it would not flare the brass so much(this is the die that expands and drops powder in the same pull).
    My question is : how can I get these 9mm casings that are flared too much to be resized down so I can reload them (I dumped the powder once I realized they had too much flare and stopped the process)? They have the new primers in them so I don't want to just throw them away if there's some way to reduce the flare and reload them. Any ideas or suggestions on how I can do this.
    One other problem I am having is I have to keep resetting my crimp die (the 4th die) because it keeps over crimping and making the bullets spin or twist in the casing. I read online to reduce the crimp and that helped for a couple dozen rounds and then it worked itself back into too much of a crimp again and the bullets will spin in the casing, reset and so on. I have the dies tightened down and I am running the press real slow so as to not cause too much movement on the set dies.
    Note: I use a digital caliper to check the OAL of every round and I check the weight of the powder on every round with a digital scale.
    Any advice is appreciated.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sometimes you just have to write off the costs as the cost of learning. You could fool around a waste a lot of time and trouble for a 3 cent primer.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Thanks. I was thinking that after I posted this - if I removed the deprimer pin from the first die and try and resize them then I might be able to save the brass that has the new primers already installed. The damn powder measure for some reason will work for a couple dozen rounds and then all of a sudden starts to over flare the brass neck and then on the 3rd die the bullet gets set too low in the case due to the over flare. I have been using a bullet puller to try and salvage the components. Right now I am a lot better at "unloading" than I am at "reloading". :):
    I'm using Berry's bullets and I have had to throw some away due to the over crimping issue. My dies seemed to be locked down as tight as possible.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    The fact that all your dies (rather than just one) seem to be changing position after loading for a short time would make me suspicious that perhaps the turret is not properly seated on the press and is moving vertically somehow during use. Might want to confirm that’s not the problem.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The fact that all your dies (rather than just one) seem to be changing position after loading for a short time would make me suspicious that perhaps the turret is not properly seated on the press and is moving vertically somehow during use. Might want to confirm that’s not the problem.

What he said. Something is not right if the dies are locked down tight the turret, shell holder, or the ram linkage need to be looked at.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    You are using the lock nuts on the dies right? Lee lock nuts? o-ring down? I found it was not uncommon for the locknut to loosen that way. I use Hornady lock rings or flip the lee rings over to get a solid lock.

Welcome to reloading... lots of learning to be had.
    Welcome to using lee parts, lots of tweaking and fiddling to be had.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    Take the de-capper out as mentioned above.

I started out on a lee classic press and the one thing that press is picky about is consistency. Are you consistent on how far down you pull the lever? Are you consistent on how much pressure you are using? The lee press is a very good press for the money and especially a beginner but keep in mind on this setup that every time you raise the ram you are also putting pressure against the die which raises the plate to the top of the press and if you inconsistent on the two areas above your reloads will never be consistent. When you drop the 4 hole plate into the press and lock it in there is still slight vertical moment. This is something you don’t have with Hornady, Dillon or rcbs since the dies are locked into the press either threaded or via locking rings.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    You are using the lock nuts on the dies right? Lee lock nuts? o-ring down? I found it was not uncommon for the locknut to loosen that way. I use Hornady lock rings or flip the lee rings over to get a solid lock.

Welcome to reloading... lots of learning to be had.
    Welcome to using lee parts, lots of tweaking and fiddling to be had.
    Yes, I am using the Lee lock nuts, o -ring down. They seem as tight as I can get them by hand. I can try wrench tightening them.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Take the de-capper out as mentioned above.

I started out on a lee classic press and the one thing that press is picky about is consistency. Are you consistent on how far down you pull the lever? Are you consistent on how much pressure you are using? The lee press is a very good press for the money and especially a beginner but keep in mind on this setup that every time you raise the ram you are also putting pressure against the die which raises the plate to the top of the press and if you inconsistent on the two areas above your reloads will never be consistent. When you drop the 4 hole plate into the press and lock it in there is still slight vertical moment. This is something you don’t have with Hornady, Dillon or rcbs since the dies are locked into the press either threaded or via locking rings.
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I will try and make sure I am consistent on my lever pulls to make sure I use the same amount of pressure and fully extend the lever pulls.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    You might also try applying witness marking to your dies with a Sharpie so you can visually check during reloading if anything is moving.

Also, Isopropyl Alcohol removes Sharpie when necessary.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Threads like these are why I sort brass by headstamp and avoid GFL, and other known trouble maker brass. Differences in case OAL (Over All Length) will mainly cause trouble at the crimp and belling station. It takes time, but it really harshes my mellow to fight crimp issues.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yes, I am using the Lee lock nuts, o -ring down. They seem as tight as I can get them by hand. I can try wrench tightening them.

Bingo. Problem found. Finger tight is not tight enough, use a wrench whether on the oring side or not. They're hex nuts not wing nuts.

Top Bottom