• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My long awaited 6.5 Grendel Mk 12 Mod 0 upper from High caliber Sales has arrived. I have 200 rounds of Hornady Black 123 gr. Ammo to feed it so I will have some brass to reload. The question is... which dies to buy? I will be loading on a RCBS turret press for the Grendel if that matters.

Thanks!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Buy the BEST..???

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....half-grendel-competition-bushing-neck-die-set

^^^Not 6.5 , but this, or a version of this is what I ended up with on my .223. 6MM, and .308 best of the best loads that I could make..

YES, just like everyone else, I did buy CHEAPER before I got to this point..

You will NOT be sorry on the investment...Bill.

PS: A good quality case trimmer and case gage is your friend...

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....half-grendel-competition-bushing-neck-die-set

^^^Not 6.5 , but this, or a version of this is what I ended up with on my .223. 6MM, and .308 best of the best loads that I could make..

YES, just like everyone else, I did buy CHEAPER before I got to this point..

You will NOT be sorry on the investment...Bill.

PS: A good quality case trimmer and case gage is your friend...

I guess my question before dropping $300 on those Redding dies would be if they are acceptable for reloading for a AR upper. Do I need a small base die since these will be used in a AR?

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have never had to use a small base die when you are reloading for what you shot it in. I had to use a small base die for some brass shot in an M-60 to be used in a tight chamber match rifle. Quality dies are cool but if you don't what to drop that much on dies and buy ammo or components instead, I like the Lee 4 die set with the collet neck sizer. With an AR you might not be able to use it but it is nice to have.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have no doubt that those $300 dies are great, but unless you plan on some very serious competition shooting, you do not need those. I have used Lee, Lyman, and RCBS dies with success with all 3. I also recommend the small base sizing dies if you plan to use the rounds in multiple semi autos, otherwise, the standard dies will work just fine. Often the standard dies will work well with multiple semi autos unless you have varying chamber dimensions.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I have no doubt that those $300 dies are great, but unless you plan on some very serious competition shooting, you do not need those. I have used Lee, Lyman, and RCBS dies with success with all 3. I also recommend the small base sizing dies if you plan to use the rounds in multiple semi autos, otherwise, the standard dies will work just fine. Often the standard dies will work well with multiple semi autos unless you have varying chamber dimensions.

This right here. I'm starting to get into some higher end dies and reloading equipment, but I've had fantastic luck with Lee dies (and a Lee press). Legitimate 1 moa accuracy at 600 yards in a .223 service rifle. Consistent 1/2 moa accuracy at 200 yards from a Ruger Precision 5.56. Maybe the RCBS dies I'm running now are good for even more accuracy, but Lee dies will 100% get the job done.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I prefer redding dies myself, but lee and rubs are fine too, i also use lyman dies as they have the carbide expander ball for them now in there rifle dies. i avoid hornady dies totally have had bad luck with them myself

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I am in agreement with billybob44 on this issue. The Redding w/micrometer is the way to go for premium ammo if you need that. I have several of these also.
    You will like the ability to get your chamber settings fixed then play with bullets and there seating depths.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Another thing that this will allow you to do is to follow the throat out as it erodes.
    This is probably one of the best features of using this setup.

Top Bottom