• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started reloading back in 2002, but haven't really done anything serious in a few years. With the additional time at home these days I figured I'd load up every leftover component I've accumulated over the years.

I started with 223, just a standard 55gr for load. I'm 400 ish rounds in before I get the bright idea I should chamber a round to double check everything. The rounds in an AR15 are not fully going into battery. The BCG is about a 1/4" away from being where it should be.

I'm using pmc and Winchester brass, Winchester small rifle primers, h335, and hornady 55gr. I'm using a Dillon 550b, and I've checked the full length sizing dies, powder die, seating die and my fourth stage is a lee factory crimp. Somewhere I'm a few thousandths off, but I don't know where.

I've been using a 5.56 bushmaster A2 as my chamber check and I've been having to mortar rounds to get them out. I then tried a white oak armament upper in 223 wylde thinking that may help and was about 70% functioned and 30% needed to be mortars. I've got an older 5.56 6920 with more rounds through it than I can count and they feed and function just fine in it.

I don't want to pull over 400 rounds. Where did I mess up?

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I would look up size specs for the round online and then check all your measurements with your calipers. Should tell you what is wrong and probably which stage is causing it.

crazygunner1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Kokomo
    Well, things like this occur you just have to take a look back and see if anything you are doing is causing the mess, slight mistake or error could cause this.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Check and make sure your using the full length die and not a neck sizing die. I only use a small base die any more on any rifle brass fired out a semi-auto and haven't had any issues with ammo not chambering

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Have you loaded good rounds with these dies before?

If not, I’m going to echo everyone else and say it’s the sizing die. Been down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Back the seating die body out one turn an readjust the seating stem. Check if it cured the problem. Next back the factory crimp die out and recheck. The seating die has a crimp built in to it you can see the results when set to deep at the point the case necks down from the main body.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I only use a small base die any more on any rifle brass fired out a semi-auto and haven't had any issues with ammo not chambering

This right here......
    A small base die is made to cure EXACTLY the problem you are having.
    It is used so the rounds you make fit ALL of your semi, lever and pump guns in that caliber.
    Order one and run it down until you just cam-over your press handle in the down direction.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The dies I've been using for years are redding 80111 series "A". I've used them with great success up until now. Something just has to be off somewhere.

Top Bottom