• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya’ll....
    I have 1k 147gr lead bullets. I have some HP-38 and CFE pistol on hand, Im having a hard time getting some load data on this particular set up.
    Im seeing some info on the web using these powders to get the heavy bullet moving, but don’t want to load without any true help.
    Anyone have any insight on where to start, or a link to previous post about this

(and if anyone wants them let me know)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    147 grain lead I used 3.4 grains of HP-38. The old Winchester book listed 3.3 - 3.5. There was a Lee Auto Disc setting that dropped 3.4.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    3.4gr of Titegroup works wonders on Xtreme plated 147 RN.

I've tried W231(same as HP38 and CFE P) neither one of them at max load could reliably cycle the gun with the can.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've tried the 147/HP-38 combo with disappointing results. If you compare the published velocity of it vs a load with Titegroup loading you will notice it is about 100fps slower. That makes is so wimpy it won't cycle most semi autos and likely wouldn't make power factor in any competition. Sadly I figured that out after I had loaded 1000 of them during winter. I ended up getting a reduced power recoil spring and used them up last summer. I've went back to titegroup with good success. I'm sure others fast powders like bullseye would also work.

HP-38 is awesome with everything else I've loaded and I'm still using it quite a bit. I think the 147 gn bullet simply extends into the case too far and doesn't allow enough room to put enough powder in without causing a pressure spike.

I have no experience with CFE so can't comment on it, other than recommending comparing the published velocity and trying to keep it up at normal ranges. (unless you are shooting a revolver.. then power puff loads can be quite fun).

--Rick

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Weird. I got 130-135 PF When I loaded 147 grain HiTek coated lead over 3.4 grains HP-38. This was out of a 5” 1911. The gun ran fine with stock springs. I shoot these out of stock Glocks and M&P as well. I would assume plated or FMJ would not make power.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    With all the mixed reviews just might have to wait and the get powder that the load book calls for when the world opens back up.
    I really don’t want to load them with powder that won’t cycle or have groups all over the place and become frustrated.

Gloy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2018
    Milford
    My go to load for all things 9mm is 147gr. Coated lead, 3.9 gr. Cfe pistol, Winchester primers, col is 1.13 this thru my glock 17 runs 890 fps. Very comfortable to shoot all day. Have never had any failure to cycle properly on any of our 9mm firearms. This load data is on the hodgden website. Try this load I think you will like it.

Top Bottom