• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    so ive been thinking a lot about a Dillon reloading press, I have 13 9mm's and 11 .223/5.56's

and for a few weeks ive been on their page looking an the xl750 reloader package in 9mm/223, its everything you need, press, conversion dies, case feeder, reloading manuals, roller handle, scale and so on, for 1843.80 plus shipping and tax!

yesterday I decided to compare buying it all at once vs buying the 9mm now, and adding the 223/5.56 later (after my bank account recovers)

the 9mm package is 1453.87, if I buy all the extra stuff later to load 223/5.56 ill pay 1849.80...ill save a whopping 6 dollars!!! (yes I know i'll save a little on shipping too)

personally i'd think there'd be a little more on an incentive to buy it all at once, if I saved 50.00 that'd be enough incentive!, but 6 bucks???

now I wonder if id be better off just buying what I need and not the whole package, I already some items including lee 9mm and 223 dies (i'd save 159 bucks not buying dies), I guess tonight i'll go home and cross off what I don't need, and see what my total will be.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I’ve loaded many, many trouble free pistol rounds with Lee dies in a Dillon press.

My only Dillon pieces of equipment are the press itself, the case feeder, trimmer, mount, and obviously the conversion kits. Everything else is a hodge podge of red, green, and that other shade of blue.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    +1 on pricing it out without the Dillon accessories. Lee dies, lee scale, etc have served me very well for 9mm/223 on my 650.

If you want to go Dillon, the press, conversions, and case feeder are the only required blue equipment. Even stuff like the roller handle are nice but not need to have.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Don't forget that you can't use a bullet feeder and powder alarm at the same time on the 750.

at the moment with me being very new to reloading, i'll probably be setting the bullets on by hand, and i'll have a led in the press to visually inspect for powder even if I add the alarm

(and by alarm I assume you mean the powder check, and not the low powder sensor)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am sure the 750 is nice. I enjoyed loading on a 650. Don’t own one myself but used one at a friends with a bullet feeder. Quickly knocked out about 1500 rounds of 9mm then broke a part. Dillon replaced but the press has sat ever since. I finally went down and picked up the bullets and powder.

My question to the OP is, how many rounds do you plan to load and fire in a year? I ask because a person can load quite a few rounds on a Dillon 550c. They are affordable, rock solid presses and very versatile. I have owned and used the RCBS rock chucker, lee turret press, Dillon square deal and the borrowed 650. Of all the presses I have been happiest with the 550. If I were only able to own 1 press that would be my choice.

What equipment do you already own? I have LEE, Dillon, RCBS and Hornady dies. They all work fine. For pistol I really like the Lee dies. You will need the Dillon lock rings but otherwise the Dies are good to go. I have even been using the Lee auto disc powder measures on the Dillon press, although I like Dillons measure better.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Dillion powder measure are the best so far but yet to try light loads of Bullseye. The dies are expensive. The Dillion dies have a chamfer on the base that allows the cases to locate better for faster production. That may be a reason to spend the extra.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I am sure the 750 is nice. I enjoyed loading on a 650. Don’t own one myself but used one at a friends with a bullet feeder. Quickly knocked out about 1500 rounds of 9mm then broke a part. Dillon replaced but the press has sat ever since. I finally went down and picked up the bullets and powder.

My question to the OP is, how many rounds do you plan to load and fire in a year? I ask because a person can load quite a few rounds on a Dillon 550c. They are affordable, rock solid presses and very versatile. I have owned and used the RCBS rock chucker, lee turret press, Dillon square deal and the borrowed 650. Of all the presses I have been happiest with the 550. If I were only able to own 1 press that would be my choice.

What equipment do you already own? I have LEE, Dillon, RCBS and Hornady dies. They all work fine. For pistol I really like the Lee dies. You will need the Dillon lock rings but otherwise the Dies are good to go. I have even been using the Lee auto disc powder measures on the Dillon press, although I like Dillons measure better.

im shooting 3 matches a month (steel challenge and 2 idpa) so I figure at least 600 rounds a month, and that's if I don't start shooting more matches (another 2 matches an hour away, and 4 more 2 hours away), I have a lee turret press now (older 3 hole, that I cant get parts for) I plan on using that press for the calibers I don't shoot much (44 special and magnum, 38 special, 308, and a few more) it was my dads and he passed away, my big problem with it is, he pulled out the bar that rotates the dies, and I don't know where he put it (this Saturday im going to look for it again) I asked lee, and they don't make parts for it anymore, but they'll give me 1/2 off the new 4 hole press if I send them mine, so its a single stage press basically,

I have lee dies for all calibers I listed, and an rcbs swagger dies, some old powder, a lee auto disk powder drop, that's not throwing powder right (I looked and the .66 hole is supposed to drop 6 grains of unique, but it only drops 5 exact), some lee powder measures, the way to say it my dad was a reloader, and I wasn't (he enjoyed it) I didn't have the time (kids and 2 jobs) now I have time (1 job and kids are adults). right now the only things I really need to reload are projectiles and primers (yes I know, good luck finding primers)

I know that I wont be able to reload cheaper than I can buy 9mm ammo, but the way to say it is, for steel challenge I want the bullets to fall out the end of the barrel and hit the target, and for idpa I want to barely make minor, so after I get loads worked up, and am sure theyre accurate enough, I plan on loading the poly coated bullets (montana gold or blue bullets) for my 9mm's (I have 12 9mm pistols, and 1 9mm pcc), and loading for my 223's (7 ar's and one bolt action) on the dillon

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Compared to a manual advance 3 hole turret I think you will be happy with either the 550c or 750. I like the Lee 4 die pistol sets with the FCD. Keep the turret press because a second press is darn handy.

Not sure where you live but once The Rona ban is lifted I would let you knock some rounds out on my presses before you buy.

For .223 I am running through a universal decapper and then sizing in one toolhead. Then Chamfer, debur, trim, ream. Second toolhead I load. Just something to keep in mind.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    You're coming in HOT!!!

That's ambitious for your first real setup (the lee's have their place, don't get me wrong), but i'm of the feeling that you don't need half the crap on that 'package deal' and that's mostly meant for people with more disposable income than they know what to do with.

My opinion...you chose the right press...the only improvement i would personally make is get the setup i currently have (a 550 and a square deal B) because i don't like auto indexing for rifle rounds (personal choice). that being said, just get the press for now with a strong mount and a roller handle and add all the rest of the crap as you find you need it. I think you'll find Dillon has pretty good shipping rates (although the DO charge sales tax now). There ARE other vendors out there that sell their wares with NO SALES TAX...do your homework there or PM me for the ones i know about.

I catch myself looking at the 'loaded' packages every time i get one of their catalogs (after i'm done looking at the lady on the cover) and then i realize i don't need any of it that i don't already have!

Slow and steady wins the race!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had a square deal for 9mm and 45 ACP. Loaded thousands of rounds on each. As a 9mm press I really liked it. Little more effort then I liked for .45 and I wanted to add .223. I had planned on keeping 1 as a 9mm only press and adding a 550. But ended up selling both. Now I have a 550 and don’t feel bad at all. It’s a little slower but does a great job. The 550 is just so quick and easy to swap toolheads and switch over compared to the square deals. It can even be used like a turret press for loading .308.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Call Bobcat Armament and see what they have used. I was able to trade in my square deal and some lee stuff on a 650 and some other goodies. They sell and deal new and used equipment.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We have 2 550's, a 650, and just picked up a 1050.
    For someone starting out I would suggest a 550 because it's a little more forgiving with the manual index

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I've have a 550 for close to 18 years and have loaded several thousand rounds on it over the years. Right now I mainly load 9mm, 223, and 308. I've toyed with the idea grabbing a second Dillon, just not sure which one. A 750 would be nice for the auto indexing but the $1200 price tag to get st up is a hard pill to swallow. A square deal b would give me auto indexing but only for 9mm. Also thought about a second 550, one could be set up for large primers and the other small, plus all the parts would be interchangeable.

Like it was mentioned above I also use my 550 as a turret press for loading 308. While it's slower than the others, it's a solid press that won't let you down and has some versatility.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You're coming in HOT!!!

That's ambitious for your first real setup (the lee's have their place, don't get me wrong), but i'm of the feeling that you don't need half the crap on that 'package deal' and that's mostly meant for people with more disposable income than they know what to do with.

My opinion...you chose the right press...the only improvement i would personally make is get the setup i currently have (a 550 and a square deal B) because i don't like auto indexing for rifle rounds (personal choice). that being said, just get the press for now with a strong mount and a roller handle and add all the rest of the crap as you find you need it. I think you'll find Dillon has pretty good shipping rates (although the DO charge sales tax now). There ARE other vendors out there that sell their wares with NO SALES TAX...do your homework there or PM me for the ones i know about.

I catch myself looking at the 'loaded' packages every time i get one of their catalogs (after i'm done looking at the lady on the cover) and then i realize i don't need any of it that i don't already have!

Slow and steady wins the race!

ive asked a lot of reloaders, and not one has said "I wish i'd have bought the lee first!" but everyone says "I wish i'd have bought the Dillon first"

We have 2 550's, a 650, and just picked up a 1050.
    For someone starting out I would suggest a 550 because it's a little more forgiving with the manual index

I assume you're with bobcat, I have been on your facebook page and website, im down in Evansville and was talking to someone at the range, and he said to go see you guys!, he said it was well worth the trip!, im a member of a Dillon facebook page and you wont believe the number of times bobcat gets mentioned!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I assume you're with bobcat, I have been on your facebook page and website, im down in Evansville and was talking to someone at the range, and he said to go see you guys!, he said it was well worth the trip!, im a member of a Dillon facebook page and you wont believe the number of times bobcat gets mentioned!

Sorry, no.
    This is what we have set up in the basement between my brother and I. Just stuff picked up over the years.
    We just got the 1050 about 2 weeks ago. I started out on a Lee 3 hole turret press. We still use some Lee dies with a few RCBS thrown in and quite a few Dillon dies

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a 550 and 650. I've used Dillon, Lee, Lyman and RCBS dies over the years. I much prefer the Dillon dies. The machine just seems to run smoother with them. If you load lubed lead bullets, the dies are easy to clean without total disassembly and having to readjust them. If you can afford it, I recommend you buy the whole kit, plus the powder check die. I like the low primer warning system, too. Extra primer tubes come in very handy, considering how much you shoot (800 rounds per month). The Lyman check weights are very handy too. Dillon does offer a payment plan. The prices will only go up over the years.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    If you’re in Evansville, you might stop by Booneville Bucks and Jakes. They’ve had a bl550 sitting on the shelf for years. They have got out of the Dillon business, minus conversions. A few years back, they sold me their demo 650, w stand and casefeeder, for what they had in the press itself, from an invoice 10 years ago. It was just missing the powder measure, but had a .45 conversion included.

Last time I was in there (couple months ago), the bl550, box, and a few extras were laying around (back, right corner of store). I’d bet they’d damn near give it away. You’d have to add a few things like primer feed and powder measure. If they’d sell it at as much of a discount as the 650, you’d still come out way ahead paying full price to upgrade it to a 550c.

Bphelps100

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2020
    Crown point
    Well I recently made the switch from a single stage rcbs rock chucker to the Dillon 650. I got a steal with what I bought though. I got the press, roller handle, strong mount, bullet and case feeder, and dies for $700. It you’re reloading a lot, it’s not a matter of need for the extras, but it’s a matter of convenience. Although for my match rounds I do prefer to load on my single stage just for ease of mind. I’m planning on loading some on the 650 to see how I like them though.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Dillion powder measure are the best so far but yet to try light loads of Bullseye. The dies are expensive. The Dillion dies have a chamfer on the base that allows the cases to locate better for faster production. That may be a reason to spend the extra.

Depending on what 38 special wadcutter load I am running at that time, With the small bar I reliably run down to 2.8 grains of Bullseye on a 450 and 550 Dillons.

Top Bottom