• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been gifted quite a bit of ammo over the years I've been shooting, and got a little more today.
    The stuff I got today looks to be o.k. but when I opened my rocket box full of shotgun ammo I found 4 rounds that I'm sure I didn't buy, and the brass on these four looked bad enough that I didn't want to put it through my guns.

Green brass is never a good idea, however 3 of these 4 also had VERY rusty looking primers.
    I cut the shot and powder out, but I don't even want to pop the primers in my gun.
    I filled the primer pockets, and a little more, with some Remoil to soak.

Will that be enough to kill those primers?
    I don't want to throw away anything unsafe.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure there is a guaranteed way of killing a primer. I've heard people soak in oil for a week and they still went off. That said, they are tough to just have go off just by pressure. If you are really worried, put some padding over the primer or cover it with caulking of any sort so it cannot get struck and toss in landfill bound trash. The trash truck won't have enough pressure to do anything to it, and even if it goes off while compacting, it isn't going to hurt the steel spikes on the compactor...

Just my 2c.
    --Rick

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Nuke it from orbit.

Or fire. Fire would do.

Line 'em up on the range with the primers facing you and test your skills!

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Reach out to the closest range? Many places have containers to dispose of dud rounds. I suppose you can also call your local PD/SO and ask them to dispose of the stuff for you. Me? I'd just bury them in the back of the backyard and call it a day.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Vice, nail, pliers, hammer. Round in vice, nail against primer, you know what to do with the hammer!

P.S. hold the nail with the pliers- don't ask me how I learned this!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    devils advocate. Exactly how much damage could an old primer cause?

I say stick the cut shells in your gun and pull the trigger. No way there is enough energy to damage anything.

Worst I can see is having to hammer out the spent shell with a dowel because the corrosion makes it stick in the gun.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    devils advocate. Exactly how much damage could an old primer cause?

I say stick the cut shells in your gun and pull the trigger. No way there is enough energy to damage anything.

Worst I can see is having to hammer out the spent shell with a dowel because the corrosion makes it stick in the gun.

This ^^^ But, I might add that if the ammo is old enough there is a possibility that the primers might, maybe be corrosive.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Don't super glue a thumbtack to the primer and put a streamer on the empty shell and lob it into the air.

Top Bottom