• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    While firearm availability and pricing seem to be calming down a bit, ammo is still pretty hard to find at anything but "you gotta be joking" prices. Got this recently from SGAmmo which explains a lot...

https://www.sgammo.com/bulk-ammo-back-stock

"I'd love to stay positive but realistically there are dark times ahead for the ammunition supply chain"......

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Just like toilet paper, ammo is better bought in bulk.

Hope y'all have enough of both to weather a storm. I've purchased from SG and I too get the newsletters. While Sam seems to be a good guy, he's also a great salesman. Some of his "warnings" during the huge drop in ammo demand and subsequent pricing following Trump's win were eye-rollingly funny. That said, we're certainly facing a one-two punch with a pandemic and presidential election. Dark times indeed.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I receive there news letters also, noticed most case prices were 100 dollars higher than a month or so ago, And now there is the primer shortage in small pistol also, i am pretty well stocked up on ammo and reloading as i learned in 2008 and 2012 to stay ahead of the game, will be watching prices to see if they come down again, but if people continue to pay these higher prices then i doubt the do!

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Just like toilet paper, ammo is better bought in bulk.

Hope y'all have enough of both to weather a storm. I've purchased from SG and I too get the newsletters. While Sam seems to be a good guy, he's also a great salesman. Some of his "warnings" during the huge drop in ammo demand and subsequent pricing following Trump's win were eye-rollingly funny. That said, we're certainly facing a one-two punch with a pandemic and presidential election. Dark times indeed.

Not endorsing SGA in any way, and I too have bought from them, but I thought his "newsletter" had some good reasons for the shortage other than crazy demand.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wouldn’t expect prices to soften until after the election. And only then depending on the results. All things considered the price of ammo is still pretty reasonable. The materials to produce ammunition aren’t exactly cheap and there are supply chain issues across the board affecting every industry. The only thing keeping the prices down pre-Rona was that warehouses relatively full. I am honestly less concerned about firearms and ammunition then other consumer products.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No surprise considering the news.
    Most all cable news channels today reported more record background checks for March, some 3 million checks performed in March alone.
    April sales were also up, but I didn't hear the numbers.

With the number of "new gun owners", one would expect they are also buying ammunition for said firearms.
    One of my customers just bought his first handgun back in February.
    He bought a new Glock. I won't hold that against him...
    Still, he bought ammunition at the same time.
    He bought an astounding 50 rounds of 9mm, an ENTIRE BOX!

Two weeks after his purchase he was asking me for information about where to buy more ammo.
    Seemed he finally realized that if he got in any practice at all, he would then be out of ammo.

I like this guy, and his wife, who is a realtor and gives me a LOT of business, so I told him where to try online.
    I also offered to take him to the range to learn how to use his new purchase.
    When he asked again about ammo, I told him not to worry about it.
    I told him I have enough in stock to run him through several range trips and still supply him with enough to get by until the panic buying is over.

I have a 5 gallon bucket FULL of 9mm brass waiting to be loaded.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I have bought several thousand rounds of the UMC 9mm for ~ $169/1000. Now $100 jump in price seems a little excessive. I have enough on hand to ride this out for now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have bought several thousand rounds of the UMC 9mm for ~ $169/1000. Now $100 jump in price seems a little excessive. I have enough on hand to ride this out for now.

That seems about right. There were piles of 115 grain $7.99-$8.99 9mm laid in for Black Friday. Especially Remington UMC. That stuff was packaged in boxes and buckets and every other container in between. Stores laid in ammo for holiday promotions and the leftover inventory just sort of sat. Keep in mind this was basically no margin, sell it at cost promotional sales. Now it’s all gone!! Cheap ammo is simply gone. $269 per 1000 seems to be were everything has landed. I have been told by a reliable source that 9mm and .223/5.56 has jumped 40% at the wholesale level and has be allocated so it can be spread around. Do the math and $269 seems just about spot on. .223 went from roughly $0.30 up to $0.40 a round.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    For the first time in my life I’m not worried, I can ride this storm out. I’ve always had ammo in reserve and probably not like some of you but I’m good to go in my book.

ive bought from Sam for a while now, some here and some there. Before you know it you have a little nest egg...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. I missed the mark 2 months ago. I figured the market would stagnate and soften slightly this summer and then level off going into the fall. So higher prices then 2019 but predictable. Yeah, I predicted everything wrong. Apparently something other then The Rona can get everyone whipped up. I haven’t seen any SGammo ads for a couple of days. Plus 9mm prices are up again.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Sportsman's Guide had a backorder deal for .26 cents a round for 62 gr 223. Due in October but at that price I don't mind waiting. It will be here before I know it. And, at least I know I have some coming if I can't luck into a other deal of some sort.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9mm seems to have went up more than other rounds, I wonder if it's just demand or if it's because of pistol primers being hard to get

My guess is demand. Truth is prices going up is a good thing. As prices increase it slows consumption which translates to availability. Exactly the way the graphs from Econ class work. Yes it sucks. But I can still lay my hands on a case of ammo if I wanted it.

Small pistol primers are hard to find but out there to be had. Small Rifle primers are just this side of nonexistent.

Top Bottom