• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I'm in my fifties and have been shooting since I was in my teens.Reloading is something I have been thinking about doing someday for years. I am getting closer to making that big decision and start reloading. I enjoy rifle, pistol and shotgun sports. I don't plan on reloading for my shotguns. I have been saving brass for years for that some day when I start reloading. My main rifles that I shoot and would be reloading for are my Rem700 in 30-06 and my SA M1A in 308. The pistol cals that I would be reloading will be 44mag, 40SW and 38special. One question I have is would I be able to use the same primers, powder and bullets for both 30-06 and 308? And Would I use the same primers and powder for 44M,40SW and 38 special? And what would be a good starter reloading system that you would suggest?

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    I'm not familiar with loading for the M1A but I seem to remember reading the M1 being pickier on bullets. So for that question maybe, both 30-06 and .308 take large rifle primers, you should also be able to find a powder for both.

For the pistol calibers, 44mag is going to take large pistol whereas 40 and 38 will use small pistol primers, but I know you can find a powder to load all 3 of those.

As far as reloading equipment, that comes down to personal preference. They all work, and they all can be used to load rounds capable of more accuracy than the shooter in most cases.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    you're going to want a powder comparable to military powder for the M1a, to fast of powder will damage the op rod. This powder would work for the Remington 06, but there might be better choices for it.
    Pistol calibers you should be able to find one to work for all 3.
    308 / 3006 both use large rifle primers
    44 is large Pistol primers, 40 not sure, 38 small Pistol primers

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    you're going to want a powder comparable to military powder for the M1a, to fast of powder will damage the op rod. This powder would work for the Remington 06, but there might be better choices for it.
    Pistol calibers you should be able to find one to work for all 3.
    308 / 3006 both use large rifle primers
    44 is large Pistol primers, 40 not sure, 38 small Pistol primers

Slower powders are a no no for garands, M14's and M1A"s.... They create to much breach pressure when the bullet is passing the gas vent hole. Hence the op rod travels to fast and it will bend or snap.
    General rule for those rifles are 147 to 172 grain bullets and no powders slower than
    IMR 4064

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd start with the .38. Buy an inexpensive single stage press, scales, case gages, etc.

I'd load/shoot plenty of .38's to cut your teeth, then go to the .40. Same thing, get rounds and time to learn under your belt before proceeding to the more complicated rifle round process.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm in my fifties and have been shooting since I was in my teens.Reloading is something I have been thinking about doing someday for years. I am getting closer to making that big decision and start reloading. I enjoy rifle, pistol and shotgun sports. I don't plan on reloading for my shotguns. I have been saving brass for years for that some day when I start reloading. My main rifles that I shoot and would be reloading for are my Rem700 in 30-06 and my SA M1A in 308. The pistol cals that I would be reloading will be 44mag, 40SW and 38special. One question I have is would I be able to use the same primers, powder and bullets for both 30-06 and 308? And Would I use the same primers and powder for 44M,40SW and 38 special? And what would be a good starter reloading system that you would suggest?

I'm well into my fifties and have been reloading for many year. I can build rounds for 30-06, 308 & 223; I can reload 9mm & 45 ACP pistol rounds. I have numerous proven recipes for 30-06 & 308 that use the same primers, powder & bullets. Its something you can definitely do.

I started with an RCBS kit and moved to a Hornady progressive after many years. As stated above, they all work so read up and pick one that you like.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My recommendation is before you buy or do anything else, buy and read this book: https://www.natchezss.com/lee-modern-reloading-manual-2nd-edition.html

It'll give you a solid idea of what's involved and what components you'll need. For example, it'll show you that you can't use the same primers for 44mag as you will for .38 Special as they take large pistol and small pistol, respectively. You probably could use the same powder, but it's unlikely it'd be optimal for either. I get trying to keep logistics simple, but don't take it to extremes and end up with subpar loads.

You can load rifle and pistol on the same press. For useful quantities of handgun ammo I strongly recommend a turret press over a single stage. Yes, there's some merit to learning on a single stage. Remove the OP rod and a turret is now a single stage. The only advantage of a single stage, IMO, is price. Buy a turret, use it as a single stage if you like, then throw the OP rod back in and use it as a turret when you're ready. For real high volumes, you'll need more expensive equipment, but I've kept myself fed with a turret for nearly 20 years now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    3031 has been my go to powder for the M1a and I've been shooting it since 1980. Best single powder for handguns in my opinion is still Unique.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    No answers for you as I dont load any of those calibers but just wanted to wish you good luck with your reloading ....started last year and it's very addictive !!
    Everyone always says you dont save money doing it because you just end up shooting more and it's a FACT!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My recommendation is before you buy or do anything else, buy and read this book: https://www.natchezss.com/lee-modern-reloading-manual-2nd-edition.html

It'll give you a solid idea of what's involved and what components you'll need. For example, it'll show you that you can't use the same primers for 44mag as you will for .38 Special as they take large pistol and small pistol, respectively. You probably could use the same powder, but it's unlikely it'd be optimal for either. I get trying to keep logistics simple, but don't take it to extremes and end up with subpar loads.

You can load rifle and pistol on the same press. For useful quantities of handgun ammo I strongly recommend a turret press over a single stage. Yes, there's some merit to learning on a single stage. Remove the OP rod and a turret is now a single stage. The only advantage of a single stage, IMO, is price. Buy a turret, use it as a single stage if you like, then throw the OP rod back in and use it as a turret when you're ready. For real high volumes, you'll need more expensive equipment, but I've kept myself fed with a turret for nearly 20 years now.

^Best advice yet, but get more than one manual, and read them all cover to cover BEFORE you load your first round.
    I also agree that it would be easier to learn a thing or two starting with the lowly .38spl.
    It's very easy to load, and you can make them from mild to wild.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    before you begin ask yourself.....
    how often do I shoot?
    is there a range close to me? free or member with fees?
    how many rounds do I shoot?
    age 50 is rather late to start....so what kind of work do you do?
    reloading takes certain mechanical skill & concentration......am I able to set-up a reloading area that is free of distractions?

all the rifle & pistol cartridges you propose to load are commonly available and rather cheap so do I really need to make my own ammo?
    only you can decide.
    reloading is a very good skill in times like today. however; components & equipment are in high demand & short supply.......
    really a lot to consider....huh

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Reloading is an awesome hobby and not extremely difficult to learn. I would recommend getting the how to books mentioned above and several good loading manuals. Read and study up first so you have a good understanding of the basics. Starting with a straight walled revolver cartridge like 38 special is an excellent recommendation. You will need ALL of the basic reloading equipment. Don't take any shortcuts and buy good equipment. As far as a press goes, I also like the turret press recommendation mentioned previously. Single stage press like Rock Chucker is good, but a good turret press offers similar simplicity with the ability to leave your dies alone and have a decent production rate. Several good turret presses out there, and I would look closely at the Dillon BL 550 (Basic Loader) if I had similar needs to yours.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Lots of good info so far.

I'd recommend a single stage, but a turret would be great, too. Just dont START on a full progressive if you're new. Too much going on for a new guy to keep track of.

There's several powders that overlap for .223, .308, and .30-06, and are safe for M1a and M1 Garand.... Varget, Reloder 15, H4895, shooter's world precision rifle to name a few. Hornady's manual has M1 specific loads, as well as .308 service rifle loads that are safe for an M1a. Most other manuals are developed for a bolt action, so start low and work up.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have used a Lee turret press for years. I don't need something that loads 500 rounds an hour so progressives never appealed to me. I load a lot of different calibers on it. I prefer to size all the cases and then prime them with an RCBS Universal Hand primer. I use the turret with Pro Auto Disc powder measure to charge,then seat and crimp the bullets. Has worked well and been very accurate for me. For some of the bigger charges needed for rifles I use an RCBS Uniflow powder measure and an M500 scale. The lee beam scale is not very good.
    There are powders that would load all 3 pistol cartridges but they wouldn't be ideal for all. For my 44 Mag I run H110 or Win296, they are both the same powder now. For the other 2 you don't need that fast of a powder and can run the same powder. More of a personal choice and what meters the best thru your equipment.

Hodgedon is a great place to start for load data.

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I am in my fifties also and started reliading about four years ago. I went into Atterbury shooting complex and met John. Over the course of about two weeks, we discussed reloading. I ended up getting a Dillon 650 and now load about 30k a year. Reloading is really simple if you have any type of mechanical/thinking skills. I am so glad i did not start with a single stage, but started with a progressive press.

Btw-I still have not purchased a reloading book. I have a notebook that I keep track of all my loads for the different calibers, bullets, and guns.

My 2 cents: buy what you can afford, a Dillon if you can, ask a lot of questions, keep track of you load data, pay attention to detail, enjoy the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    A turret press with interchangeable die plates. Hornady has the lock n load press which seems like a good idea also. Reason being Turret presses can be set up then dies changed much easier and produce better in pistol calibers. I like Dillion powder measure system the best, most simple and use one with a couple calibers. I do like beam scales better than digital but I had a cheap set of digital scales so there ya go.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    @ jhopson
    still gas no reloading manual.
    no single-stage press.
    loads 30k a yr
    over 50 when started.

????????

you happen to live with 5 miles of a range----- Atterbury.

a place to buy & seek advice w/i 5 miles....Atterbury.

the OP probably not close in expressed needs.

YMMV very much...

plus ooooooh to cash.......you must have....

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    and......
    you got a reloading book......

call it a notebook?

created by "someone" with access to loading data...

monkey see.....
    monkey dooooooo.....

on a progressive press @ 30,000 rounds a year?

I hope I NEVER shoot @ Atterbury

when UR around:rolleyes:

Top Bottom