• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddyDisco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2019
    Avon
    After completing a couple hundred rounds of 9mm I realized I may have been looking at the incorrect charge amount. The charge is 4.3Gr of TiteGrooup but instead I was loading 4.8/4.9. The projectiles are Extreme 115Gr RN and that is where I got the data of 4.3 from.

I have already started pulling bullets but wanted to ask if I'm being overly cautious. Are the rounds unsafe being overcharged by a 1/2 a grain?

This was a stupid mistake but goes to show that even with 15+ years of reloading mistakes will happen it's experience that finds them.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    If it were me, I would load a few, working up to 4.9 and check for signs of overpressure.
    Sure beats pulling a few hundred bullets.

Actually if it were me I would just shoot them, published data is CYA so you would proba ly be well under.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    If it were me, I would load a few, working up to 4.9 and check for signs of overpressure.
    Sure beats pulling a few hundred bullets.

^^^This is the safe answer^^^

With fast powders in 9mm, you can get pressure signs before you reach published max. Be smart and work the load up before pulling what you have already loaded. You may still have to pull them, but at least you'll know for sure.

Of course if you had a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible you could just install the 9mm cylinder and not worry about it. :shoot:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    After completing a couple hundred rounds of 9mm I realized I may have been looking at the incorrect charge amount. The charge is 4.3Gr of TiteGrooup but instead I was loading 4.8/4.9. The projectiles are Extreme 115Gr RN and that is where I got the data of 4.3 from.

[FONT=&amp]Kind of rule-of-thumbing here but plated bullets can generally be loaded to about the middle of a max charge of lead and a max charge of jacketed. You are at the max for a jacketed Speer 115gr at this point, and that's about 30,500 CUP. 9mm isn't into +P territory until past 35,000 CUP. So I *suspect* the problem won't be it's unsafe to fire (although I'm not the one risking my gun and bodily fluids to find out, so, you know, easy for me to say). The more likely problem is the plating can't take the velocity a jacket can and you may be driving it too fast. Even if the cartridge is safe you may find accuracy is sub-par. Or you may not. This is 100% theory and I completely agree about working up a ladder of loads if you wish to shoot them. I'd also feel better shooting them in something +P rated and metal if it were my gun and my bodily fluids on the line.

[/FONT]

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Hodgdon data shows 4.8gr Titegroup is Max.

link:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

So it's probably fine to shoot and see
    depending on the firearm.

I would shoot & examine primers before pulling bullets.
    Also ejection & recoil may tell you if your firearm likes max. loads in just few rounds.

Max listings are usually not "break the gun" pressures and data us from Hodgdon who makes titegroup.

safest way is to work up the load.
    but you Did Not Exceed Max and are just at the limit recommended.

YMMV

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ^^^This is the safe answer^^^

With fast powders in 9mm, you can get pressure signs before you reach published max. Be smart and work the load up before pulling what you have already loaded. You may still have to pull them, but at least you'll know for sure.

Of course if you had a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible you could just install the 9mm cylinder and not worry about it. :shoot:

This. For years I've used a CZ-52 to shoot up my broomhandle mauser mistakes.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    QuickLoad reports
    9mm luger
    .355, 115, RN Rainier 9mm
    COAL 1.169
    Hodgdon TiteGroup 4.9grain
    press max for this load 34401 psi
    (9mm+p 38500, 9mm saami 3500)
    4" barrel 1165fps

Quickload is not exact but i find it close most of the time.
    COAL can really affect pressures in pistol rounds.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    [FONT=&amp]Kind of rule-of-thumbing here but plated bullets can generally be loaded to about the middle of a max charge of lead and a max charge of jacketed. You are at the max for a jacketed Speer 115gr at this point, and that's about 30,500 CUP. 9mm isn't into +P territory until past 35,000 CUP. So I *suspect* the problem won't be it's unsafe to fire (although I'm not the one risking my gun and bodily fluids to find out, so, you know, easy for me to say). The more likely problem is the plating can't take the velocity a jacket can and you may be driving it too fast. Even if the cartridge is safe you may find accuracy is sub-par. Or you may not. This is 100% theory and I completely agree about working up a ladder of loads if you wish to shoot them. I'd also feel better shooting them in something +P rated and metal if it were my gun and my bodily fluids on the line.

[/FONT]

This is the answer.
    Mostly extra cleaning of the barrel. Nothing a little Chore Boy can't handle.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I have shot thousands of 115gn plates with 4.8-4.9gns of Titegeoup. That is my pet load for target 9mm. They'll be fine, and I DO know this from actual experience.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    What's your Overall Cartridge Length?

4.9gr at 1.110" will produce a lot higher pressure than the same charge weight at 1.150".

I have just loaded some 115gr FMJ from RMR, 1.125" total length, CCI 500 primers, TG from 4.4gr to 4.8gr in 0.1gr increments, light crimp.

Some 4.7gr showed pressure signs, at least 1/3 of 4.8gr had.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    4.3gr is NOT "the one load" that's OK.

Loads vary by more than .5gr between manufacturers and bullets. That's something else to consider: One manufacturers max load may be middle ground for another. Could be different brass, different primer, different bullet shape (ogive, base concavity, bearing surface area), different OAL. Something safe in a gun with a long leade might have dangerous pressure in another with a short-leade. A 30 year old saturday night special won't take near the excessive pressure than an HK will. That's why you need to start low and work up YOUR LOAD.

I've loaded 4.9gr titegroup with 115gr jacketed pills and they're hot for sure but didn't blow anything up. Again, that's my bullets in my gun on my press, etc.

Top Bottom