• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmfisher71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Brownstown, IN
    So I have the opportunity to buy a brand new lee loadmaster press for an outstanding price.... I have been wanting to get into reloading for a long time but never have. The particular press has 38 special/357 mag dies on it, and I got on their website and noticed that they have a press for multiple different calibers, my question is. Is this press dedicated to 38/357 caliber only or can I buy .223 and 9mm dies for this loader to load multiple caliber rounds

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve never used one, I run an ammo plant, and before that had a Lee Turret. To my understanding, it’s like any other press. You just need a “caliber conversion” for each of the other types of calibers your want to run. The core press should be the same.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have had 2 now after getting the 2nd got a refresher course as to why i got rid of the first, there is a reason they sell a explosion shield for them, had primers go bang on the 1st one and after getting 2nd one running loading along and bang primer went off, the primer delivery is kinky,high maintenance, will stick with my dillons they are well worth the money

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The caliber specified only means the press comes with a die set for it.

For a Lee, you'll need dies of course and also the shell plate, case feed pusher, and lg/sm primer system to match. Cheaper and fewer parts than to swap sizes on a Dillon.

No matter how cheap it is, it'll always be the budget option. They work, mostly, but they are fiddly to set up and fiddly to keep running and no matter how much you fiddle, it'll always be fiddly. Lots of places for adjustment that you have to keep adjusted vs things that just fit right and work on the Dillon. The lee primer feed is mostly reliable till the last 10 or so primers. then you might as well be priming off-press.

I just made the move from a loadmaster to a Dillon XL750 after ~6k rounds. The Dillon's just... designed to work well. All the pieces work together, they all work well, they're all well-engineered. The Lee is a series of jerky individual steps pushed together halfhazardly.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You’ll see a lot of guys (me included) started on a Lee turret press, went to a Loadmaster and then went to a Dillon 650/750. They usually keep the Turret. It’s a good one to learn on and keep around for something you don’t shoot a high volume of.
    Like russc said above the loadmaster requires a lot of tinkering to keep running. I like to tinker but it wore me out.
    If you don’t shoot a large amount a month get the turret kit, it’s a good place to start, if you do still get the turret to get started and buy a Dillon later.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    lee loadmaster is no beginner press to start with.

I have one I purchased in 1999.
    along with shell plates to reload all the rifles & pistols I owned from .22 hornet,
    .223 Rem. to 300 Weatherby to 45/70.
    Spent $600 as setup for .223.

Sat in storage. Six yrs ago loaded 9mm, 40 s&w, 10mm with some success.

Only recently found youtube vids that are good enough setup to use effectively..

glad I have it and can quickly setup to load everything I shoot.......

.222 Rem., to 500 S&W.

very steep learning curve and would not try to teach a nooby :)

Top Bottom