• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I’m looking to reload 8mm Nambu on a progressive loader (Lee Loadmaster) and have a powder drop issue. I have always used Lee dies but had to get a set of CH4D dies. The CH4D case expander die has a rod in the center to expand the case and I’m accustom to Lee dies where powder drops through the center of the expander die.

Is there any comparable Lee die I can use to expand a case for powder drop? The loadmaster has 5 stations and I’m stuck priming on station 2 so I also size on #2 and use a universal decapper on #1. If I use station 3 for expanding with the CH4D die, I’d have to powder drop on station 4 and bullet seat in station 5 and lose my factory crimp station.

So....if there is a Lee die I can “ad hoc” to get a small case expansion, So I can reload 8mm Nambu all at once. The bullet diameter is .320 and my books don’t show anything similar that I think may work.

Any one have experience or advice to share? Thanks in advance.

I Explosives

Last edited:

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    Okay, I think I have a solution to my 8mm Nambu powder drop. Let me know what you think!

Using a Lee Lodmaster:
    #1 - CH4D decap and size die
    #2 - CH4D expander and prime cartridge
    #3 - Lee powder through expander die for 7.62 x 25 Tokarev
    #4 - CH4D bullet seat die
    #5 - CH4D crimp die

As for a powder drop, if I case expand with the 8mm Nambu CH4D expander die, I “should” be able to powder drop with a Lee powder through expander for 7.62 x 25 Tokarev. The Nambu case mouth will be larger and allow powder to drop inside the case without spilling powder (Tokarev bullet is .011 smaller). As long as the Nambu case doesn’t contact the inner wall of the die, it should allow the Nambu case to lift the expander enough to activate the powder drop. I plan on adjusting the depth to only allow enough pressure to lift the powder drop without changing the case dimension so it only acts as a funnel.

The only down side I can see is priming with the expander ball in the case. It “should” center and hold the case firm when priming.

This “should” allow me to knock out rounds in a true progressive manner without having to size/prime on the press, manually powder elsewhere, then back to the press to individually load primed/powdered cases to seat and crimp....if I had to do this, it would probably be easier to use my single stage press.

Sorry for the long read....thoughts??

I Explosives

Top Bottom