Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

I wipe my presses down for the winter and when I open back up for business in early spring. Never had issues with bullets, brass, or primers.

Had a bad experience my first year reloading and left powder in the hopper. Had some squibs with my 45 but no damages done. Now I put the powder back in the containers when I close down.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indysims View Post
    Just starting out and my garage is currently my only option for reloading. I'm worried about the humidity/temp this summer. Is it a legit concern? Who is also stuck reloading in the garage and what do you do to mitigate the potential damage to equipment and components due lack of controlled temp.
    Very timely topic . . . I am in the process of moving my reloading areas from a spare bedroom and tool shed to the garage. Garage is well insulated for fall and winter reloading - No jacket required!. I decap brass and do case prep during the summer. Am planning to keep powder, primers, and electronic instruments in the house.
    April 19, 1775 . . . Sons of the American Revolution

User Info Menu

I did for 9 years. Kept everything inside except press. Kept it lubed good when not in use.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Ark

User Info Menu

My old house had a couple of massive condensation and rust events in the garage. Polished metal surfaces were a goner.

A press can be kept in the garage if you wipe some oil on the piston, but I would keep dies indoors.

User Info Menu

I noticed a light surface rust already showing up on some of the dies. I wish I had a basement, I know they have humidity issues too, but they are more easily addressed.

User Info Menu

Lee dies can rust from water-based lubes for rifles.
    worst were .223 & 30/06 pace-setter which I used often.
    my RCBS dies rifle/pistol stored in garage with no problem.
    RCBS rockchucker, Lyman Orange crush both had rust form on handles.
    Lee Loadmaster is mostly AL with chrome-lined ram.
    My lyman 450 sizer does well in garage.
    as do my casting stuff except my moulds are inside as a must.
    I will where ever I can.
    when ever I can 2
    No middle game, No end game; just Open the game well. French e4e6

Expert

User Info Menu

I reload in my garage as well. It's insulated and I have a heater for winter time reloading activities. I keep components (primers, bullets, and powder jugs) in plastic bins with lids. Brass in a Lowes bucket. I haven't had in any issues in ~8 years or so of reloading. I do keep the cover on my press when I'm not using it, empty the powder measure, and make sure it's got grease and oil before the cover goes on.

User Info Menu

You've gotten some pretty good advice so far. Keep things clean and lubed and you should be okay. I reloaded in garages for a couple of houses before I moved into my current location. I have logs from my very first loaded bullet to now and in my garage years my reloading was kept to spring and fall months when the temps were more tolerable. I had no desire to drip salty sweat onto my equipment or into a round and hated the idea of freezing fingers while working with small items. That was always my biggest headache.
    Shut up and color!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indysims View Post
    I'm one of those guys that must have caustic skin oil because I've noticed tools of mine develop surface rust. I'm probably not going to be doing much reloading out there when it's too hot because it's not enjoyable. I'll save that for the cooler months. I'm storing my presses In a wall cabinet, and my dies in an ammo box. I'm putting a Zerust vapor capsule in both of those. I'll keep primers and powder inside. I'm also going to wipe all the dies down with a silicone impregnated rag. I have a couple thousand 9mm cases that are prepped and primed, they are stored in tight closing food containers.
    Use some nitrile gloves. Use them often while reloading and cleaning guns or anything with cleaning supplies. A box of 100 is around $7.00 and can be bought a Harbor Freight.

User Info Menu

i lived in central fl for 15 years, and reloaded in the attached garage. never saw any rust on anything.
    I spent a lot of hot sweaty night loading ammo.
    left powder, primers, and loaded ammo in there year round

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast