• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Just starting out and my garage is currently my only option for reloading. I'm worried about the humidity/temp this summer. Is it a legit concern? Who is also stuck reloading in the garage and what do you do to mitigate the potential damage to equipment and components due lack of controlled temp.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    some guy reload @range.
    can be done same way in garage, bedroom or where ever.
    components can be stored there but risks rusting dies & press.
    also. better for cooler fall days & even nice winter & spring.
    very hot summer days better spent @ beach. pool. fishin hole. range shooting ammo you loaded in cooler times.
    good luck

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have reloaded in my garage for 35 years and never had a rust problem. I store primers and powder in the house. Don't leave powder in powder measures over night. Primed brass stored in tupper ware with a good sealing lid. You will be fine if you have sweaty hands wipe dies and such with a silicone cloth before and after handling.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    At my last house when I started reloading my set up was in the garage. However, since the HVAC unit was in the garage, I enjoyed the "bleed off" from the system that kept the garage at 50 in the winter, but still hot in the summer.

That was until I got my new HE unit and then had to buy a space heater, lol.

I never had any issues with corrosion of any kind. A lot depends on the location of your garage. Mine had two walls that backed up to the conditioned home and an insulated attic and outside wall that didn't have any windows. All that helped a lot.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Do not know of tools rusting in a summer. Been reloading for years out in the ol garage. It is more of people and the salt, oil from their hands. Known of people that could not even touch houseplants or they would be killed.

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Being reloading in the garage for years as well. I have cabinets in the garage that I use to store all of the components, (primers and powder stored separately). never had an issue.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I'm one of those guys that must have caustic skin oil because I've noticed tools of mine develop surface rust. I'm probably not going to be doing much reloading out there when it's too hot because it's not enjoyable. I'll save that for the cooler months. I'm storing my presses In a wall cabinet, and my dies in an ammo box. I'm putting a Zerust vapor capsule in both of those. I'll keep primers and powder inside. I'm also going to wipe all the dies down with a silicone impregnated rag. I have a couple thousand 9mm cases that are prepped and primed, they are stored in tight closing food containers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My stuff has always been in the garage. Never had a rust problem and ammo goes bang. Even been known to leave powder in the hoppers and primers in the tubes. Space heater in the winter, there is a fan blowing in the summer. Temperatures really are not that extreme. Humidity will be a problem if you park your car in the garage and drag in rain and snow. My wife wants to use the garage to start parking the car so currently working on a solution for the reloading bench.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I wipe my presses down for the winter and when I open back up for business in early spring. Never had issues with bullets, brass, or primers.

Had a bad experience my first year reloading and left powder in the hopper. Had some squibs with my 45 but no damages done. Now I put the powder back in the containers when I close down.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Just starting out and my garage is currently my only option for reloading. I'm worried about the humidity/temp this summer. Is it a legit concern? Who is also stuck reloading in the garage and what do you do to mitigate the potential damage to equipment and components due lack of controlled temp.

Very timely topic . . . I am in the process of moving my reloading areas from a spare bedroom and tool shed to the garage. Garage is well insulated for fall and winter reloading - No jacket required!. I decap brass and do case prep during the summer. Am planning to keep powder, primers, and electronic instruments in the house.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My old house had a couple of massive condensation and rust events in the garage. Polished metal surfaces were a goner.

A press can be kept in the garage if you wipe some oil on the piston, but I would keep dies indoors.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I noticed a light surface rust already showing up on some of the dies. I wish I had a basement, I know they have humidity issues too, but they are more easily addressed.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Lee dies can rust from water-based lubes for rifles.
    worst were .223 & 30/06 pace-setter which I used often.
    my RCBS dies rifle/pistol stored in garage with no problem.
    RCBS rockchucker, Lyman Orange crush both had rust form on handles.
    Lee Loadmaster is mostly AL with chrome-lined ram.
    My lyman 450 sizer does well in garage.
    as do my casting stuff except my moulds are inside as a must.
    I will where ever I can.
    when ever I can 2:)

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I reload in my garage as well. It's insulated and I have a heater for winter time reloading activities. I keep components (primers, bullets, and powder jugs) in plastic bins with lids. Brass in a Lowes bucket. I haven't had in any issues in ~8 years or so of reloading. I do keep the cover on my press when I'm not using it, empty the powder measure, and make sure it's got grease and oil before the cover goes on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    You've gotten some pretty good advice so far. Keep things clean and lubed and you should be okay. I reloaded in garages for a couple of houses before I moved into my current location. I have logs from my very first loaded bullet to now and in my garage years my reloading was kept to spring and fall months when the temps were more tolerable. I had no desire to drip salty sweat onto my equipment or into a round and hated the idea of freezing fingers while working with small items. That was always my biggest headache.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'm one of those guys that must have caustic skin oil because I've noticed tools of mine develop surface rust. I'm probably not going to be doing much reloading out there when it's too hot because it's not enjoyable. I'll save that for the cooler months. I'm storing my presses In a wall cabinet, and my dies in an ammo box. I'm putting a Zerust vapor capsule in both of those. I'll keep primers and powder inside. I'm also going to wipe all the dies down with a silicone impregnated rag. I have a couple thousand 9mm cases that are prepped and primed, they are stored in tight closing food containers.

Use some nitrile gloves. Use them often while reloading and cleaning guns or anything with cleaning supplies. A box of 100 is around $7.00 and can be bought a Harbor Freight.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i lived in central fl for 15 years, and reloaded in the attached garage. never saw any rust on anything.
    I spent a lot of hot sweaty night loading ammo.
    left powder, primers, and loaded ammo in there year round

:cheers:

Top Bottom