• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Seeing this new cartridge released by Hornady they seem to advise its usable as a long range target and viable hunting cartridge. It seems to hit the guidelines for IN deer cartridges (minimum 243 diameter and case length longer that 1.16) but does that really mean it would be decent for a deer? Ive used 6.5 and seen success with it but wanted to get some thoughts from other 6mm shooters.

https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    After 50y it leaves a 30-30 in the dust. Is 30-30 a viable deer round?

QED

I know several that have used it successfully! I just want to be sure it can do its job if the once in a lifetime buck ever steps out! I believe shot placement would be key of course.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    After 50y it leaves a 30-30 in the dust. Is 30-30 a viable deer round?

QED

It is an entirely valid question that deserves a more thoughtful response in my opinion. No one has to worry about a 30-30 being loaded with stupid *** match bullets or what those bullets will do when contacting something more resistant than paper at ranges far shorter than anyone would consider long.

In answer to the original question, there should be little doubt the cartridge will be capable of cleanly killing deer sized game provided it is loaded with quality HUNTING bullets. From everything I've seen so far this cartridge is largely being promoted as a long range target cartridge and is being loaded with long, heavy match bullets. Match bullets have a tendency to either blow up spectacularly without penetrating deeply enough or to fail to expand at all when encountering flesh and bone. The excessive weight of the bullets and the moderate velocity will help to reduce the likelihood of a blowup but my experience with most Hornady bullets is that they tend to be pretty soft compared to other brands.

If you reload or if Hornady offers some loads with quality, controlled expansion hunting bullets, then it should work very well. It really won't do anything better or even as well for deer hunting in Indiana as any of the 6.5s will but wanting something new and shiny is always a valid reason for adding to the collection in my opinion.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Thanks two270, you make good points about bullet construction and the marketing of this new cartridge. I figured with the existence of the 243 there would be a couple bullets that are sufficient for deer. My concern mainly would be the penetration. My usage would primarily be range and target shooting but would love to have the confidence to use it on game as well.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks two270, you make good points about bullet construction and the marketing of this new cartridge. I figured with the existence of the 243 there would be a couple bullets that are sufficient for deer. My concern mainly would be the penetration. My usage would primarily be range and target shooting but would love to have the confidence to use it on game as well.

Really it's just a matter of timing because good hunting loads will be available for it eventually. Whether or not it happens by this deer season is anyone's guess. Load data for bullets other than Hornady should be available sooner rather than later though. Were I to adopt the 6mm ARC, I would top loads with a TTSX, E-tip, or Accubond and not worry about it. Just like I do my .243 Win and .243 WSSM.
    :lmfao:When does Hornady announce their release for that?

Just as soon as the finalize the design for the high BC, polymer tipped target rocks to fire out of it. :):

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Just as soon as the finalize the design for the high BC, polymer tipped target rocks to fire out of it. :):

Now see, there’s where you are wrong.

They will only be ready to roll out the SupeRocket 2.0 when they have a ton of fitted jerseys printed, and a few all American shooters to back the idea.

THEN it will be game time.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Now see, there’s where you are wrong.

They will only be ready to roll out the SupeRocket 2.0 when they have a ton of fitted jerseys printed, and a few all American shooters to back the idea.

THEN it will be game time.

Haha gotta give them credit for marketing, I want to hear when they talk about the science behind it and how they only select the best rocks based on the bc.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Can I ask what bullets you are success with in your 6mm BR and 6mm PC? Any hunts experiences with those calibers?
    I don't have those, but I would assume a decent bonded bullet would get the job done. There are plenty of 243 hunting loads that could be roughly duplicated, although at a slightly lower velocity/heavier bullet.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It is an entirely valid question that deserves a more thoughtful response in my opinion. No one has to worry about a 30-30 being loaded with stupid *** match bullets or what those bullets will do when contacting something more resistant than paper at ranges far shorter than anyone would consider long.

In answer to the original question, there should be little doubt the cartridge will be capable of cleanly killing deer sized game provided it is loaded with quality HUNTING bullets. From everything I've seen so far this cartridge is largely being promoted as a long range target cartridge and is being loaded with long, heavy match bullets. Match bullets have a tendency to either blow up spectacularly without penetrating deeply enough or to fail to expand at all when encountering flesh and bone. The excessive weight of the bullets and the moderate velocity will help to reduce the likelihood of a blowup but my experience with most Hornady bullets is that they tend to be pretty soft compared to other brands.

If you reload or if Hornady offers some loads with quality, controlled expansion hunting bullets, then it should work very well. It really won't do anything better or even as well for deer hunting in Indiana as any of the 6.5s will but wanting something new and shiny is always a valid reason for adding to the collection in my opinion.

Your points about bullet selection are valid of course. But the question was about cartridge.

Just because I can stuff a 175SMK in a 30-30 and make it disastrous on any animal doesn’t mean 30-30 isn’t deer viable.

Im sure you would agree that bullet choice always trumps cartridge choice, so the cartridge just has to be “sufficient” for a suitable bullet at the ranges under consideration. Frankly the bar for being “sufficient “ for deer is pretty low, especially so if the hunter is reasonably skilled.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I believe i will wait and see how it works out for others, been seeing different calibers come and go a lot past few years, mainly ones wanting to take advantage of the semi auto platforms

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I believe i will wait and see how it works out for others, been seeing different calibers come and go a lot past few years, mainly ones wanting to take advantage of the semi auto platforms

I agree, I put together a 224 Valkyrie once it came out. It doesnt seem to be growing. If the 6mm ARC can be a versatile hunting cartridge along with the DoD involvement I think will help it in the cartridge market.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hornady is loading the 103 ELD-X in the 6 ARC...that's a fantastic hunting bullet.

I had marginal success with a 107 SMK out of my 6 Dasher (not entirely surprised...), switched to the 108 ELD and have ZERO concerns using it on deer.

Top Bottom