• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Just got 4 cases of Winchester 130 grain Service Grade jacketed flat points in from SGAMMO. Just got done inspecting the first case. Pretty much every box of 50 has one or two like this:

IMG_6892-lower.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Oh I WILL....the good news is factory .38 Special tends to run so anemic the deeper seated ones will still likely be pretty mild

I agree with that...
    You will probably not feel the difference, its like loading wad cutters with 2.8 grains of bullseye and seat some halfway and others flush.. Some folks seem to get wound up over not much. Its the evil internet.....:laugh:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It might be SAFE but it's still some LOUSY Quality Control.....and I do Accuracy Control work. (not for ammo manufacture but still)

Years back I did some Accuracy Control work with raising both of my sons...
    With much work and some discipline both achieved Accuracy Control.

I mostly tig weld for a living, we have to grind out our poor control. #itsuckswhenthathappens

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I mean, it is marked "Service Grade"

That would pass a Joe's inspection before loading the cylinder.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Holy crap! I hope you have something with a stout action!

I recently saw something on the pressure increases in 38 special with deeper seated projectiles, and the CUP increases exponentially with every little teeny tiny increase of seating depth.

I'd DEFINITELY be contacting Winchester to at least get a credit for it.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    We shot all 50 rounds the three samples came from a couple of hours ago and we couldn't tell the difference between any of them. Same mild recoil and same mild report. It's just as I suspected - factory .38 Special is loaded so mild it just doesn't matter what the seating depth is!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I would be seriously pissed if I had placed an order and that is what showed up. That is absolute garbage QA/QC.

Food for thought: What if seating depth isn't the only part of the QA/QC process that occasionally got missed? Could some of the normal looking rounds be double charged? Or have no powder at all?

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    We shot all 50 rounds the three samples came from a couple of hours ago and we couldn't tell the difference between any of them. Same mild recoil and same mild report. It's just as I suspected - factory .38 Special is loaded so mild it just doesn't matter what the seating depth is!

well...if you still have your fingers then I guess I owe you an apology :D

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    We need purple for thread titles. Beyond that, yeah, **** poor on Winchester’s part. I wouldn’t be happy either. And that’s only what you can see from the outside.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Winchester, how the mighty have fallen. If that's their service grade, I'd hate to see the plinking grade. I would have sent that back, I'd have had serious doubts about safety. It only takes one with a bad powder charge and a deep bullet to ruin a person's day and the rest of their life.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The first three I cut the glued part off and the last one I ripped it up and off. Why?

Unless the end user breaks the sealed case there is no way to know what was messed with after it left the factory. However, I have seen factory foohpas before. Just checking.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom