• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Newbie question: Should you decap/deprime before tumbling spent brass? Does it matter?

It seems like it's a split from what I've seen on YouTube and Google searches. In my thinking, doing it would ensure the primer pocket and flash hole would be cleaner, but the decapping die will get filthy very fast. Not decapping first will not get the primer pocket clean, but will keep the dies cleaner. (I could totally be wrong about these. Just my assumptions.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I always decap and wet tumble. Keeps my sizing die nice and clean, plus spent primers will hold a little drop of water and leave the primer pocket wet when you punch them out. Decapping first ensures that the primer pockets dry fully after tumbling. I use a Frankford decapping tool, which does indeed get filthy.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Decap then wet tumble, always. Yes the decapping/sizing die gets dirty so I clean that occasionally as well.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Decap before wet tumbling. Yes, it gets the primer pockets clean. Picked up some 6.5CM once fired brass one time that still had the spent primers... There was corrosion in the pockets from being wet with primers holding the cleaner. YMMV.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I tumble, deprime and resize. Then use a primer pocket cleaner. I like to put clean brass in my dies. :twocents:

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I dry tumble, deprime, resize and use a RCBS primer pocket cleaning tool.

+1
    If I deprime before dry tumbling, I get media stuck in the primer pockets.
    I have never been one that cared about "sparkling clean, shiny" brass.
    I dry tumble and start with clean, somewhat shiny brass, that loads well and shoots well.
    That's what I am looking for.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I dry tumble. Tumble before resizing/ depriming, so primer pockets don't fill with media. never clean primer pockets unless they are full of carbon, which is rarely

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Newbie question: Should you decap/deprime before tumbling spent brass? Does it matter?

It seems like it's a split from what I've seen on YouTube and Google searches. In my thinking, doing it would ensure the primer pocket and flash hole would be cleaner, but the decapping die will get filthy very fast. Not decapping first will not get the primer pocket clean, but will keep the dies cleaner. (I could totally be wrong about these. Just my assumptions.)

The primer pocket doesn't have to be sparkling to make accurate ammo. It's nice, but not required. I have two slightly different processes I follow, one for pistol, one for rifle. Mind you, I'm not loading for precision competition, just training rounds that group better than factory and cycle well. Thus, take my process with that grain of salt. Also, you don't mention whether you're wet or dry tumbling. That makes a difference as well. I don't tumble decapped brass in dry media, it gets stuck too easily and I hated inspecting flash holes afterwards.

I don't bother decapping my pistol brass before tumbling. I don't see a point. I wet tumble it in soap and lemi shine, no pins, then load away. It works every time and as long as you ensure the water is all gone before loading then you're fine. A toaster oven works great for that goal. If shiny is what you want, then corn cob media with nufinish does the job well after it's all loaded. Don't stress over dry tumbling loaded ammo. How do you think the manufacturers make their final product so shiny?

My rifle brass gets rinsed in the tumbler in water only but that is because I wet tumble with stainless media after resizing and trimming. Thus, the primer pockets end up getting cleaned but that isn't my goal, it's a byproduct of the cleaning process.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I guess I should've noted this in my opening post. I'm intending on wet tumbling. I have a tumbler and was going to throw a load of brass in it while doing other stuff around the house, which lead me to ask this question.

I'm just starting out. I haven't even built my bench yet. I'm still in planning stages for it. I'm OCD as Hell. So, I take a really long time planning everything exactly the way I want it. Plus, a couple of "life things" have had to take precedence recently.

I'm starting with 9mm, for the time being. Later, I'll branch out into .38 spl and .223. I figured I'd cut my teeth on 9 to learn the basics since I shoot it more than the other two, and, from what I've read, it's easier to start with pistol, then move to rifle.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I dry tumble but tumble first before depriming. As others mentioned media can get into the primer holes sometimes. Has always worked for me in that order.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I size dirty brass first, then dry tumble, next knocking the corncob out of the primer holes is when I inspect the brass, trim brass when needed, and back on a Dillon to finish loading.

I've never seen the need to add extra steps like wet tumbling or a using a deprimimg die when you can just size it... I guess whatever works...

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    sorry newB
    I ........ ..........never tumble.

not rifles

not pistols

not ever.

keep dies clean.

the reloaded brass is not as pretty.....

however,

ammo is very accurate..

for hunting & target

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    One of the big plus's with dry tumbling,is flaws in the brass like split and cracked necks and shoulders really stand out with black dust filling in the failed area.
    Making inspections easier and faster.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    sorry newB
    I ........ ..........never tumble.

not rifles

not pistols

not ever.

keep dies clean.

the reloaded brass is not as pretty.....

however,

ammo is very accurate..

for hunting & target

That's the way they used to do it. Tumbling didn't get popular until in the 70's

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    That's the way they used to do it. Tumbling didn't get popular until in the 70's

Thats funny but true... In the 70's My grandfather had a vibrating tub that sat on a metal bottom. I think it was called a Vibra-Tec? He would start it when we were leaving the garage and even with it inside of a plywood box you could still hear it running out in the yard.
    He would let it run all night.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

nope.....
    started in 1986 with .41 rem. mag. & .270 win.

have loaded for 15 handgun cal.

& 17 rifle......

only about 3% of shooters handload.....

of that number the tumblers that get caught by the salesman or their buddys @ the plant....

I love to reload ....... just want accuracy.....

don't care about "pretty brass".....

YMMV

but give no tumble a try......

you'll like it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nope. Tumble then load and shoot. I don't care about shiny and spotless. Dont clean primer pockets either.

Top Bottom