• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've seen the idea of T-track for more modularity on a reloading bench but I haven't heard from anyone using it who isn't trying to make money by giving me their opinions or trying to sell it. Trust no one who stands to make money by convincing you to do something. I have the perfect benches to attach it to but am hesitant if I can't get some honest opinions I actually trust.

What say you? Does it have enough hold down to survive a progressive machine or a single stage resizing magnum rifle rounds? What kind of bench top is best suited for it? I'm currently on a single layer of 2x10 boards. Will they need reinforced if I route a 3/4" channel down them for the track? (I presume yes)

https://armor-tool.com/products/woodworking/t-track/quick-track/

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I think they are a great idea and I was thinking of going that route for my bench for things that get moved such as vice, single stage, and powder measure. I’m not sure it would be strong enough for my Dillon 650, but that is mounted on the end of the bench out of the way anyhow. I’ve been also considering getting some quick change flush mount from Inline Fabrication merely for the fact they seem easier to install.

I think your bench top would be fine, but another idea is to route out only 1/2” and cover rest with 1/4” Masonite using 3M 77 spray adhesive. That should allow these tracks to sit flush, have a smooth surface and allow you to replace the top in the future should you need to. I’ve had Masonite on my garage workbench for about 8 years and have yet to replace it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I think they are a great idea and I was thinking of going that route for my bench for things that get moved such as vice, single stage, and powder measure. I’m not sure it would be strong enough for my Dillon 650, but that is mounted on the end of the bench out of the way anyhow. I’ve been also considering getting some quick change flush mount from Inline Fabrication merely for the fact they seem easier to install.

I think your bench top would be fine, but another idea is to route out only 1/2” and cover rest with 1/4” Masonite using 3M 77 spray adhesive. That should allow these tracks to sit flush, have a smooth surface and allow you to replace the top in the future should you need to. I’ve had Masonite on my garage workbench for about 8 years and have yet to replace it.

hmm...that's a good idea. The armor tool quick track is (I think) about the stoutest T Track I can find and is held down by bolts so if I needed to I could just add reinforcement to the bottom but if I don't have to do that...

I like the way you think

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I used to have a t track (generic not the above) in my woodworking bench for mounting my press. I never was totally satisfied with it. When I upgraded to a hornady lock n load progressive, I finally just dedicated a space in the shop to permanently mount to a desktop and then removed the track from the bench top and glued in replacement wood strips to fill in.

IMO, It is just OK if you don’t have space otherwise.

rick

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    1I had a tripod I built one time that had a 1/2 inch Blanchard ground steel plate drilled and tapped to accept all the presses I had (2 metallic, a shotshell, and a lubesizer). You could do the same thing and inlet it into the top of your bench.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I used to have a t track (generic not the above) in my woodworking bench for mounting my press. I never was totally satisfied with it. When I upgraded to a hornady lock n load progressive, I finally just dedicated a space in the shop to permanently mount to a desktop and then removed the track from the bench top and glued in replacement wood strips to fill in.

IMO, It is just OK if you don’t have space otherwise.

rick

What issues did you have with it?

1I had a tripod I built one time that had a 1/2 inch Blanchard ground steel plate drilled and tapped to accept all the presses I had (2 metallic, a shotshell, and a lubesizer). You could do the same thing and inlet it into the top of your bench.

I followed a similar concept with wood blanks instead of steel but I was hoping that this product would cross over to our world well enough to allow for more than just presses to occupy the space. So far I'm not optimistic. Woodworkers love the tracks I linked above and they claim that the tracks can withstand 500lbs of pressure so...maybe?

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    What issues did you have with it?

I use the bench primarily for woodworking projects. The slots weren't perfectly level with the top of the bench, would fill up with dirt and debris, which then kept the bolts from sliding along the track. I always was worried about touching the tracks with any cutting tool. It was just in general a pain to deal with for woodworking. I had custom built risers (like dillon strong mounts) for all my presses to fit the track and elevate them from the bench top, but no matter what, it seemed the press got out of adjustment when I removed it from the bench and stored it.

If I HAD to mount a press to a multi use bench again, I would really consider drilling through holes in the bench and then install threaded inserts so you could use standard bolts to attach the press to the bench. With the through holes, dirt would fall through and not clog up the mount locations and the inserts could be recessed slightly so it wouldn't impact the flat surface used as a reference for woodworking glue-ups.

--Rick

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didnt go T track, but instead went with Tee nuts on the underside of the bench. I mounted a piece of 1/2" pine to the garage bench (recycled kitchen countertop and cabinets) using Tee nuts. Then did the same with my presses to that board. If I need that section of work bench back, I just remove the board and the presses (Pro-1000 and single stage side by side) go with it. They will fit neatly inside a large plastic tote with the rest of the reloading stuff that can go up on a shelf out of the way.

When the press isnt there, there are just some 1/2" or so holes there on the bench.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I made my own riser to mount my presses on out of 2x6 lumber, and I mount the riser on my bench with T-nuts installed underneath the bench. When I'm not reloading the press comes off the riser and goes in a cabinet, and the riser comes of the bench. I'm left with just 4 holes in my bench that haven't caused me problem, but could easily be plugged with some cork or something similar if needed. I was going to pursue a DIY T-track system but didn't want to deal with the track always being filled with dirt. I was concerned with it's overall holding power, and I wanted to incorporate a riser anyway. 3/8" T-nuts and bolts are solid if you have a sturdy workbench top.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    First off, beautiful work. I'm more on the "obvious DIY with not enough tools" level but that'll change

Secondly, how well have the T Tracks held up under load? My main concern is stress from a progressive and strain from resizing the big .30 cal family and friends. (30-06, .300wm, .300 Ultra mag, .375H&H mag...etc)

Thank you for the kind words. Keep in mind that while I custom built the bench frame, the top is a pre-made Birch top I bought at Menards.
    I reload .45ACP, .44MAG, and .300BLK. So think of those stress levels...not super heavy work like loading large rifle cases would be.
    The T-Track is only as solid as your installation. The tighter the fit...the more secure it will be. I used a router (7/8" bit) to cut the grooves. I made many test cuts in scrap until I got the depth correct, etc. You can do it with a circular saw, but I did not want to risk it. Either way, you need a really good straight edge and very strong clamps to hold the straight edge in place. If it moves at all, you will not be able to get the track in the channel you are cutting.

Will all of that in mind,
    1) you should be able to "gently tap" it into place with a rubber mallet.
    2) it should fit 100% flush, not below the surface and not proud.
    3) mark and pre-drill the screw holes so that the drill does not leave a "mound" in the channel that would lift the track up from what you measured
    4) yes, put screws in each hole of the track (I bought screws at the hardware store that are about 3/16" longer than what was recommended.)

BTW, I bought the Heavy Duty T-Track from Peachtree: https://www.ptreeusa.com/ttrack_track.html
    I used these knobs:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSC29Z0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DO2ESF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Thank you for the kind words...

*SNIP*

...Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

That was very helpful. I now feel a lot better about running this experiment. This should be fun!

I'll be starting with my smaller bench since the big one is carpeted right now anyway. (An idea I picked up from Profire back when it was a thing...RIP)

Top Bottom