Cal Specific Manuals vs. Multi-Cal Manuals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Still haven't reloaded a single round yet. I'm still acquiring all the stuff that I need little by little. The next thing I want to cross off is loading manual(s). I've seen the standard ones that get recommended (Lyman, Speer, Hornady, etc.). While looking through Cabela's catalog of reloading stuff, I came across their stock of caliber specific manuals. It made me wonder what the pros and cons of each are (single vs multi-cal)?

The only reloading book that I've purchased thus far is the ABCs of Reloading. I know I need to be able to cross reference load data. I'm beginning with 9mm, then will be adding .223 and .38 spl at some point. That covers all of the calibers that I currently own. I might add a .45 or two at some point, but I'm not going to be adding a bunch of different calibers. Would getting a caliber specific manual work for me? Do the extras included in the multi-cal manuals make them worth it? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    I'm fairly new to reloading myself. I've been doing it for around a year and a half. I've got both the standard manuals and a couple of the caliber specific manuals. I find that I'm referencing the standard manuals far more often than I am the caliber specific. The standard manuals go into great detail about the process of reloading, in addition to the caliber. While the one caliber manuals have a great deal of data about the one cartridge, I've found since I've acquired several standard manuals, that most of this information is duplicated. If I had to do it over again, I would focus on the standard manuals and forgo the caliber specific ones.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've had about all the manuals over the years, What I've been doing lately is going to the hogdon website and downloading the specific caliber and printing that off and Making my own book, Highlight and make notes in your records.

I've been keeping a record of the date, cal. load, powder, bullet, notes and qty since 1989 and I find myself checking back in with that more than anything else

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I sold all my manuals and use the internet. Keep a couple caliber specific ones around just in case a reference is needed even though they are outdated.

Another vote for making your own book with your own notes.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I haven't cracked a printed manual in years. I get all my info off the net from powder and bullet company's websites. Info is updated more regularly and is free. I can see getting a printed manual or two if you're new at it for all the information regarding safety, procedures, and what-not, but for the actual reloading data, they get dated fast. Once I get loads I like, I just reuse that info for the next batch and check it online to see if anything has changed.

Top Bottom