Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Question Help identify this ammo

I found 80rds of this loose packed in a zip lock bag at a yard sale today. Bought it for $20. I need help identifying it. It's 7.62x51 looks like military surplus. I think its Australian Defense ammo, but not sure.

Headstamp MF 83 F4
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I found 80rds of this loose packed in a zip lock bag at a yard sale today. Bought it for $20. I need help identifying it. It's 7.62x51 looks like military surplus. I think its Australian Defense ammo, but not sure.

Headstamp MF 83 F4

Best I can tell it is Australian and produced in 1983. AmmoManAaron could verify.

MF Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.1 - Footscray; Melbourne, Victoria; Australia

Some sources show that plant shut down in 1945 but others indicate it is still operating.

Edit: Looks like it might have been closed in 1994.
    Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 press 1 to talk to someone now or text 838255 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
    Best I can tell it is Australian and produced in 1983. AmmoManAaron could verify.

MF Small Arms Ammunition Factory No.1 - Footscray; Melbourne, Victoria; Australia

Some sources show that plant shut down in 1945 but others indicate it is still operating.

Thank you for the confirmation. Its going to be tumbled for awhile to clean it up. Then going to test it out.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post

^^^Wolfhound has it correct ^^^

It's good quality surplus ammo if it has been stored correctly. Not very common to see it these days.
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

User Info Menu

Now that you guys sorted that out, I think the important question is not how to identify the ammo, but how the ammo identifies itself.

Perhaps, that's 7.62x51 that identifies as .308. We need to be sensitive to that specific ammo's emotions, so as not to... trigger it.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Now that you guys sorted that out, I think the important question is not how to identify the ammo, but how the ammo identifies itself.

Perhaps, that's 7.62x51 that identifies as .308. We need to be sensitive to that specific ammo's emotions, so as not to... trigger it.

Ammosexual
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    Ammosexual
    Size matters.

User Info Menu

Size matters.

It's more about capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    It's more about capacity.
    Then we'd all have .22s.

User Info Menu

Then we'd all have .22s.
    Beltfed .50 BMG

"2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast