• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Until now I've only reloaded 3030 and 3006 shells. I'm using the Hornady Lock and Load and found that it's generally accurate within a few tenths of a grain. With rifle ammo it's not that big of a deal for me to have super match grade stuff; I'm mainly reloading to save money on expensive rifle ammo costs.

Now that I'm getting in to 357 mag I'm not super comfortable with that variance, considering the difference in max loads is maybe a few grains.

So is it worth to buy an expensive auto charger, or should I get a trickler?

Also do the auto loaders add a long time to the charging process?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A lot of that has to do with your powder. Ball powder goes through a measure pretty accurately and I get less variation with it. Let me add a caveat here and say that the variation I'm talking about is in tenths of a grain. I like the auto charger for good loads using kernel powder like IMR.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Before I started doing all pistol on the a turret with the Lee auto drum, I used my RCBS Chargemaster. On a single stage, the Chargemaster sped up my process. While dumping powder in a case and seating the bullet, the next charge would be dispensing. It was usually done by the time I was ready for the next drop.
    Using the Auto Drum, I only get about a +/- 0.2 gr variance. That is at most 2 grains over or under the intended charge. That is using TiteGroup, Lil Gun, CFE 223.

Last edited:

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    From my experience the auto charger is used for the 3030 and 3006 with long extruded powder because the
    Lock and load would be inconsistent and I would use the lock and load powder measure with ball or short extruded powder for pistols and it is very accurate. That is just the opposite of your thinking but the way I have done it for years.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Before I started doing all pistol on the a turret with the Lee auto drum, I used my RCBS Chargemaster. On a single stage, the Chargemaster sped up my process. While dumping powder in a case and seating the bullet, the next charge would be dispensing. It was usually done by the time I was ready for the next drop.
    Using the Auto Drum, I only get about a +/- 2 gr variance. That is at most 2 grains over or under the intended charge. That is using TiteGroup, Lil Gun, CFE 223.

Surely you mean +/- 0.2 grain?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have used several setups. I wouldn't spend a bunch on anything.

Pick a ball powder with a decent load window and use a dropper. Save your money for more components.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Now that I'm getting in to 357 mag I'm not super comfortable with that variance, considering the difference in max loads is maybe a few grains.

So is it worth to buy an expensive auto charger, or should I get a trickler?

It is unlikely that you will see much variance in the usual magnum pistol powders with a tilting drum measure if you have consistent technique. H110 and 2400 meter like water. Especially H110. Work up your load and back off a bit from your comfortable max charge if you need to.

I use an automatic powder measure for load workups and precision rifle loading, and for the powders that meter very poorly (BlueDot). Other than that I find Hornady measures and other tilting drum types do a great job with most of the powders that I use.

Top Bottom