• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I am having an encounter with water right now. (Check local listings, Kentland)

I had a some ammo cans submerged for a few hours (good seals, not terribly concerned) and some tools (dies, etc.) getting wet but not submerged. Powder and primers are dry.

What can I do to hedge my bets on drying stuff out? By nature, everything metal is greasy/oily and is currently airing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The ammo and primers should be o.k., the tools and stuff I'd spray them down with WD40 then let them sit in good air circulation for a while then oil with a good rust preventative. I'd keep an eye on the powder just to make sure it didn't draw any moisture.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    So far so good. I got the water pumped out over night so nothing was submerged for more than 12 hours. I had a stainless Blackhawk sitting low in the safe that will need a thorough cleaning. So far, my ammo cans have been 100% reliable and dry. Buckets with lids seem to float and keep the water out. Thus far I’ve had zero loss of anything important or valuable.

Hopefully everyone reading this sees the importance of being prepared because let me tell you seeing 17” of water in your basement makes you want to puke!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So far so good. I got the water pumped out over night so nothing was submerged for more than 12 hours. I had a stainless Blackhawk sitting low in the safe that will need a thorough cleaning. So far, my ammo cans have been 100% reliable and dry. Buckets with lids seem to float and keep the water out. Thus far I’ve had zero loss of anything important or valuable.

Hopefully everyone reading this sees the importance of being prepared because let me tell you seeing 17” of water in your basement makes you want to puke!

Is your furnace/Return air duct in the water...???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, fortunately. I guess I didn’t specify, but I have a basement. I had 17” of water in the basement.

I read that you have a basement. Lots and lots of furnaces are in the basement. Lots and lots of them spend time with the blower section submerged. Just asking to help you prevent more issues. I have had to repair many that have went swimming.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I read that you have a basement. Lots and lots of furnaces are in the basement. Lots and lots of them spend time with the blower section submerged. Just asking to help you prevent more issues. I have had to repair many that have went swimming.

I see what you mean. It was under water, but not running when the water came up. It’s dry now. I have the covers off the furnace and a box fan blowing into it now. We’ll see.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I see what you mean. It was under water, but not running when the water came up. It’s dry now. I have the covers off the furnace and a box fan blowing into it now. We’ll see.

Mold could become a real issue during the drying process. We had a roof put on a while back and it leaked in many places. Then the mold showed up. White mold is okay it will dry out and some types of black are extremely bad and have to be professionally removed.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I had a stainless Blackhawk sitting low in the safe that will need a thorough cleaning....

If this is a "fireproof" safe water has most likely saturated the drywall fireproofing sheets thought the interior and/or bolt down holes in the bottom and will take a very long time to dry unless you can rip out the interior to get to it.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If it were a chronic condition, like garage or basement, dehumidifier for sure.

If you don't have this often, Casey Burchwood "Barricade" spray on anything that can rust.
    I don't know what's in that stuff, but it works amazingly well.

If it's actually wet, WD-40 to displace the water, then Barricade.

I run a machine shop (lots of raw steel) in Indiana humidity, and I buy Barricade by the case...
    Something better comes along, I'll switch, but right now I just haven't found anything that works better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom