• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm working on a low pressure load for the 45acp because I'm bored. I want to see how slow I can get the Hoosier Bullets 230gr CLRN and still cycle reliably in my S&W Shield 45. The shield has no upgrades just stock.
    I'll also be testing a Springfield XD Tactical 45 acp as well. I'm trying to get a friends Rock Island 1911 to test these -P loads on as well.
    Starting grain was 6.0gr 800x then I dropped accordingly 5.6gr, 5.2gr, 4.6gr and my stopping point at 4.0gr of 800x. I'm using CCI 300 LPP.
    COL: 1.230

The 4.0gr has worked reliably in my Shield.
    10 shot Group
    Avg FPS: 522
    Max FPS: 528
    Low FPS: 508
    ES: 20
    SD: 8
    Avg PF: 120
    Avg Energy Ft-Lbs: 139

Very soft shooting. Once I get the other 2 platforms tested I'll post those results and do some accuracy tests.

Edit:
    My son came over with his Springfield XD Tactical 45acp. It was able to cycle reliably down to 4.6gr load. 4gr was too weak for the heavier recoil spring in his pistol. The 4.6gr load cycled great except the brass ejected on his hand every shot. So we decided we will load up a batch at 4.9gr and see how well it does. I think that will workout great for his pistol and my pistol was able to run with the 4.0gr loads so it will definitely run on 4.9gr.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wish more people would explore the -p options, they can really transform the shootability of a gun with very little decrease in terminal performance.

A 40SW, for example, becomes an entirely different experience at 850fps with 180gr than it is up at the 1000fps of most commercial 40 cal loads. Yet it gives up almost nothing in terminal performance, and with JHPs will actually have better penetration.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Rifleman are searching for bullets that go faster
    Pistoleros are looking for bullets that go slower

Who knew? :dunno:

I guess it's about what you're doing with 'em.

Though, at the speed you're talking about, why not a .38/.380 or something?
    Those heavy bullets are almost dribbling out the end of your barrel.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rifleman are searching for bullets that go faster
    Pistoleros are looking for bullets that go slower

Who knew? :dunno:

I guess it's about what you're doing with 'em.

Though, at the speed you're talking about, why not a .38/.380 or something?
    Those heavy bullets are almost dribbling out the end of your barrel.

It's just a project I thought about yesterday out of boredom. It's enjoyable to play with these -p loads.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wish more people would explore the -p options, they can really transform the shootability of a gun with very little decrease in terminal performance.

A 40SW, for example, becomes an entirely different experience at 850fps with 180gr than it is up at the 1000fps of most commercial 40 cal loads. Yet it gives up almost nothing in terminal performance, and with JHPs will actually have better penetration.

They sure make it easier to let new and young shooters shoot larger calibers.

Well with the help of my son and my friend we was able to find a load that cycled in my sons Springfield XD Tactical 45acp, my friend's Rock Island 1911 Government, and my S&W Shield 45.

It ended up being 5.2gr of 800x. It cycled well in all 3 firearms and did well at 30 feet.

5.2gr 800x
    CCI 300 LPP
    Mixed cases but mostly Federal
    Hoosier Bullets 230gr CLRN.
    COL: 1.230

10 shots: Springfield XD Tactical 45acp
    Avg FPS: 682
    Max FPS: 703
    Low FPS: 674
    ES: 35
    SD: 12
    Avg PF: 156
    Avg Energy Ft-Lbs: 237

Now the target pictures

My sons target Springfield XD Tactical 45acp 30 feet off rest. Group size: 2.157"

My friend's target Rock Island 1911 off rest Group size: 3.302"

My target S&W Shield 45 off rest Group size: 1.038"

These loads are very enjoyable to shoot. I'd say probably more accurate than the three of us could shoot them.

We had a good time testing this load out.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Don't go too low on charges with 800-x, it's known to get erratic at extremes of high and low charges. It's rocket fuel in some cartridges (10mm). Thanks for posting pics.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't go too low on charges with 800-x, it's known to get erratic at extremes of high and low charges. It's rocket fuel in some cartridges (10mm). Thanks for posting pics.

Your welcome. I like to play with different loads to see what I can come up with. The joy of Reloading.

About the 10mm I worked on several loads using 800x it's posted in this forum. Just need to dig it up.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not sure if my test was in -P range but found that S&W shield in 45 has good accuracy at 15 yards. Best group was 2.5” and largest was 4.0” Loaded with 4.0 Clays.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Yep, I agree. If I were to go down with the charge I go with a faster burner like Bullseye.
    OP do you use software like Quickload before loading into the unknown?

Edit,
    I did a quick check with Quick load and once fired pressure drops to 3500 psi to 4000 psi in 2" or less.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yep, I agree. If I were to go down with the charge I go with a faster burner like Bullseye.
    OP do you use software like Quickload before loading into the unknown?

Edit,
    I did a quick check with Quick load and once fired pressure drops to 3500 psi to 4000 psi in 2" or less.

No i don't have that software. I just played around with it until I found something that cycled reliably in a Springfield Tactical 45, 1911 Government, and my S&W Shield 45. I saved 100rds to test when its below freezing this winter to see what happens.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    REDUCED LOAD FORMULA

Here is the formula from Lee's 1st loading manual for calculating reduced loads. I set this up in my load data Excel spreadsheet for calculating reduced loads. The info below is from Lee. This has worked pretty well getting me some low-velocity loads. I shoot mostly revolvers, so I do not need to worry about cycling the slide. Like anything though, use good judgement on these reduced loads. I tried to upload the spreadsheet for your use, but it said it was an invalid file. Sorry, but I guess you could make your own using the formula below.

One caution: do not use jacketed bullets for light/reduced loads. They are more apt to get stuck in the barrel. Another interesting thing can occur too: the jacket can get stuck in the bore and the lead core will exit the barrel. The lead core may strike the target, causing you to think the load was ok and not a squib. This ruined a friend's bullseye gun 2 years ago. I read about this phenomenon decades ago and it was the only explanation for my buddy ringing his BE 45 barrel. After that incident; I, as well as a few other friends, have had the bullet jacket get stuck in the bore and the lead core exit. For light loads I prefer swaged bullets. Hard cast are too hard for low-pressure loads and can cause leading. Coated would also be a good choice.

Lee's Info:
    Powders that are too fast for safe max. velocity are the best to use. Pick a powder load that has a
    max. velocity of no less than 90% of the fastest velocity powder for that bullet weight.

Standard Formula:
    Desired Velocity/Max Velocity X SQRT(SQRT(Desired Velocity / Max Velocity)) X Max Powder Charge

This formula gives the reduced powder charge.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Not sure if my test was in -P range but found that S&W shield in 45 has good accuracy at 15 yards. Best group was 2.5” and largest was 4.0” Loaded with 4.0 Clays.

I have a nice load for ICORE or USPSA for my 5" S&W 625 (45ACP revolver). 3.2gr of Clays behind a 230gr lead RN bullet. Light and shoots great. In moonclips I can reload my 625 faster than I can reload a 1911.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    REDUCED LOAD FORMULA

Here is the formula from Lee's 1st loading manual for calculating reduced loads. I set this up in my load data Excel spreadsheet for calculating reduced loads. The info below is from Lee. This has worked pretty well getting me some low-velocity loads. I shoot mostly revolvers, so I do not need to worry about cycling the slide. Like anything though, use good judgement on these reduced loads. I tried to upload the spreadsheet for your use, but it said it was an invalid file. Sorry, but I guess you could make your own using the formula below.

One caution: do not use jacketed bullets for light/reduced loads. They are more apt to get stuck in the barrel. Another interesting thing can occur too: the jacket can get stuck in the bore and the lead core will exit the barrel. The lead core may strike the target, causing you to think the load was ok and not a squib. This ruined a friend's bullseye gun 2 years ago. I read about this phenomenon decades ago and it was the only explanation for my buddy ringing his BE 45 barrel. After that incident; I, as well as a few other friends, have had the bullet jacket get stuck in the bore and the lead core exit. For light loads I prefer swaged bullets. Hard cast are too hard for low-pressure loads and can cause leading. Coated would also be a good choice.

Lee's Info:
    Powders that are too fast for safe max. velocity are the best to use. Pick a powder load that has a
    max. velocity of no less than 90% of the fastest velocity powder for that bullet weight.

Standard Formula:
    Desired Velocity/Max Velocity X SQRT(SQRT(Desired Velocity / Max Velocity)) X Max Powder Charge

Great information Whip. Thanks for posting.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It amazes me that so many folks reload and venture off the manufacturers load data and will not spend 150 bucks on software that will tell them exactly what will happen before a cartridge has been loaded.. :dunno:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    REDUCED LOAD FORMULA

Lee's Info:

Standard Formula:

What bullets are these that loose the cores? I shoot a few bullseye pistols and i have never seen the happen. Ive have seen the skirts blow off 38 special HBWC's before, from being pushed to fast, but never a core on a pistol bullet.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    What bullets are these that loose the cores? I shoot a few bullseye pistols and i have never seen the happen. Ive have seen the skirts blow off 38 special HBWC's before, from being pushed to fast, but never a core on a pistol bullet.

Most of the bullets my friends and I have seen this with are JHP bullets. One buddy swears it happened with a FMJ, with the lead core going out the nose of the jacket. That sounds iffy to me, but it may be possible if the jacket material at the nose is very thin.

What happens is the jacketed bullet gets stuck due to friction. In a JHP there is not much holding the lead core from exiting the jacket except for the jacket being crimped around the radiused portion of the nose. The normal forces of firing a bullet do not require more than that. With the jacket stuck in the bore, inertia keeps the lead core moving forward, pulling out of the jacket and out of the bore. Some pics are below. With mine, the jacket was sticking out of the barrel, slightly. Others my friends noticed were more toward the middle of the barrel.

Here is the jacket sticking out of my muzzle.
    20180729_124335.jpg

Here is the jacket w/o lead core.

Jacket.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a nice load for ICORE or USPSA for my 5" S&W 625 (45ACP revolver). 3.2gr of Clays behind a 230gr lead RN bullet. Light and shoots great. In moonclips I can reload my 625 faster than I can reload a 1911.

That would be light! I load 3.9 - 4.0 Clays under a 230 LRN (Same bullet as Hoosier Bullets) and they make major in 5” 1911. Still lighter then factory FMJ. But that could be reduced. 3.5 grains Clays is starting according to Hodgdon. I am not sure 3.2 would cycle an auto. If I wanted a light load I would play with Clays in the 3.5-3.8 grain range or Bullseye in the 3.5-4.2 range.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    That would be light! I load 3.9 - 4.0 Clays under a 230 LRN (Same bullet as Hoosier Bullets) and they make major in 5” 1911. Still lighter then factory FMJ. But that could be reduced. 3.5 grains Clays is starting according to Hodgdon. I am not sure 3.2 would cycle an auto. If I wanted a light load I would play with Clays in the 3.5-3.8 grain range or Bullseye in the 3.5-4.2 range.

I use 4.0 grains of Clays for my XD 45 and a couple 1911s. It's a nice major load. I dropped down to 3.8 grains of Clays for an old (1958) Argentine Systema 1911. I use it for the occasional cowboy action Wild Bunch match. It functions just fine with 3.8.

My bullseye 45 load is 3.5 grains of Clays with a 185 Zero swaged HPSWC bullet. It works fine in my BE 1911 w/ a 10 lb recoil spring, and is very accurate at 50 yards in my 5" S&W 625 for bullseye shooting.

In my other 625, I shot a USPSA match a few years ago with that 3.2 grains of Clays & 230gr LRN bullet. Right behind one target there was a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel sitting on top of another barrel. They had it there by mistake, but could not move it since the match had started before they noticed it. There were no issues until I shot the target and my 230gr bullets hit the barrel. The barrel was knocked off the bottom barrel. The other shooters' bullets punched thru both sides of the barrel and barely moved it. My bullet entered one side, failed to exit the barrel and the momentum knocked the barrel off. Heavy slow bullet. Other shooters there found it very interesting.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I use 4.0 grains of Clays for my XD 45 and a couple 1911s. It's a nice major load. I dropped down to 3.8 grains of Clays for an old (1958) Argentine Systema 1911. I use it for the occasional cowboy action Wild Bunch match. It functions just fine with 3.8.

My bullseye 45 load is 3.5 grains of Clays with a 185 Zero swaged HPSWC bullet. It works fine in my BE 1911 w/ a 10 lb recoil spring, and is very accurate at 50 yards in my 5" S&W 625 for bullseye shooting.

In my other 625, I shot a USPSA match a few years ago with that 3.2 grains of Clays & 230gr LRN bullet. Right behind one target there was a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel sitting on top of another barrel. They had it there by mistake, but could not move it since the match had started before they noticed it. There were no issues until I shot the target and my 230gr bullets hit the barrel. The barrel was knocked off the bottom barrel. The other shooters' bullets punched thru both sides of the barrel and barely moved it. My bullet entered one side, failed to exit the barrel and the momentum knocked the barrel off. Heavy slow bullet. Other shooters there found it very interesting.

I know what you mean by heavy slow bullet. My wife replaced a Skillet with a new one. So I thought why waste an old skillet and took it to the range. 357 mags punched right through but medium velocity 45 plated hollow points barely went through bending and reshaping the metal. Looked like they almost got stuck but pushed through anyways.

Top Bottom