Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Remington 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primers

I went to the only shop near me to pick up some more SPP. I still haven't used the ones I have, but I figured another 1000 couldn't hurt. I went in and asked for "small pistol primers." He said he was out of CCI but had some Remington. I asked what the difference was and he replied it was essentially the same thing. After I got home, i looked at the box and it said "No. 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primers." After some Googling, I've seen that these are either Magnum or Match primers. Anyone have any insight? Will be loading 9mm and .38 sp.
    "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer

User Info Menu

I found myself wanting an extra 1000 as well. My resource only had magnum primers and when asked told me the magnum may add to MV but not to a degree that I would be able to discern. My 115gr 9mm loads are not at maximum, so I bought them.

I would have to go look in my journal to be sure, but it seems I've used the Rem 5 1/2s before and didn't have any problems.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indyjohn View Post
    I found myself wanting an extra 1000 as well. My resource only had magnum primers and when asked told me the magnum may add to MV but not to a degree that I would be able to discern. My 115gr 9mm loads are not at maximum, so I bought them.

I would have to go look in my journal to be sure, but it seems I've used the Rem 5 1/2s before and didn't have any problems.
    I've been looking around THR and the S&W forums. I've seen several people say they've used them without problems. I've also seen they might add a bit of velocity, and a few said they were told by Remington that the actual make up is the same as the 1 1/2 but has a thicker cup which is why Remington recommends them for .357 and .40 loads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CraigAPS View Post
    ...and a few said they were told by Remington that the actual make up is the same as the 1 1/2 but has a thicker cup which is why Remington recommends them for .357 and .40 loads.
    That makes sense to me.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Expert

User Info Menu

Yes remington recommends the 5 1/2 for 357 mag and 40 s&w but they work just fine in 9mm and 38spcl. over a chrono i had no speed difference of any issue. They are just a heavier cup for higher pressure cartridges according to remington.
    Last edited by 2in1evtime; 07-03-2020 at 06:14. Reason: spell check

Plinker

User Info Menu

I too, am running out of cci spp. Found the remington 5 1/2. No issues thus far.

User Info Menu

Forgot to give an update. I emailed Remington about the primers. This is their "response":

Screenshot_20200712-210557_Yahoo Mail.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CraigAPS View Post
    Forgot to give an update. I emailed Remington about the primers. This is their "response":

Screenshot_20200712-210557_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Good! That falls in line with all the comments from members.
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Plinker

User Info Menu

I started out reloading with Remington 5 1/2's. I could get a sweat ladies load with 2.4 gr Bullseye and a 110 gr LRN. I ran low after 2 sleeves and bought a sleeve of Winchester SPP. That's when problems in my 38 spl started. Having a 1,000 rounds ready for the range 1 in 6 was a squib on average. 2.6 grs was the lowest I could use with them.

User Info Menu

Naw, you should probably not use them. I will give you $10 for them to get them off your hands, being the nice guy I am! :>)

“We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.” -Archilochus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast