Listing of small primer pocket 45ACP brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have searched and found several threads that discuss SPP vs LPP 45ACP brass but only a few headstamp names mentioned here and there.

I was loading several hundred 45ACP this week and found a bunch of Blazzer brass that really messed with me on the press. Broke several primers but none popped on me.
    I stopped and went through the entire bucket of brass (waaaaaay too much time) and I am realatively sure they are now all LPP.

I would prefer to sort them out ahead of time but eyeballing the primers is hard on my old eyes. I have found Blazer and (some Federal, but not all) used the SPP.

Besides Blazer and Federal, does anyone have list of 45 ACP brass that does/might use SPP?
    (It is easier to tell the kids what not to pick up at the range vs trying to explain SPP and LPP at this point.)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have seen Federal, CCI, Speer, and Blazer SPP in 45. If I understand correctly, they are all under Vista Outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's correct. Why I don't buy Federal and its sister company 45acp. I've got to many LPP 45acp and I had to do the same as STFU. It's a pain. I didn't break any primers. When I first noticed a problem I thought they had been crimped pockets. Then I looked it was a SPP. The joy of sorting out a few thousand pieces of brass is beyond measure. :nopity:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    It's funny you mention Speer as SPP too.
    In the batch I just went through:

• All of the Speer was LPP.
    • All of the Blazer was SPP
    • The Federal was a 50/50 mix

I do inspect evertything I pick up, but now I will really have to start looking at headstamps too.
    What a hassle to go through all of these.

(Yes, I am late to this conversation but, I have limited my pistol loading to 44Mag until now.)
    Never had to do this with 44Mag brass.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's funny you mention Speer as SPP too.
    In the batch I just went through:

• All of the Speer was LPP.
    • All of the Blazer was SPP
    • The Federal was a 50/50 mix

I do inspect evertything I pick up, but now I will really have to start looking at headstamps too.
    What a hassle to go through all of these.

(Yes, I am late to this conversation but, I have limited my pistol loading to 44Mag until now.)
    Never had to do this with 44Mag brass.

The good thing about the 44 magnum brass is you will never have to sort for SPP pockets lol.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The majority of 45ACP brass I get from departments is LPP. Sometimes it's mostly SPP. It depends on what they can get or what is cheaper. I separate the two to sell. Most people would rather pay more to have it separated than buying a mixed bag. I have kept a lot of the SPP for myself, but have also had a few customers ask for it. As far as headstamp, I think the SPP I usually see is either Speer or Federal. Since those brands also make LPP, you can't just separate by headstamp. It's not fun, but I will do a 5 gal bucket while watching TV.

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    My buddy loads all the LPP 45acp now and I get the SPP to load, Works out great. But it did suck when starting to reload getting those SPP 45s when trying to load with LPP.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    all my brass is range pickup.
    when I get back from a match I toss all the brass into a plastic colander, and sort out the non 45acp stuff.
    i'll separate LPP from SPP as it goes into the dirty brass tub. after it gets out of the tumbler/media separator, I sort again as it goes into the clean tub.
    I wont load the SPP ammo until I have 1000, then it's worth switching primer systems and reloading a batch

:cheers:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    all my brass is range pickup.
    when I get back from a match I toss all the brass into a plastic colander, and sort out the non 45acp stuff.
    i'll separate LPP from SPP as it goes into the dirty brass tub. after it gets out of the tumbler/media separator, I sort again as it goes into the clean tub.
    I wont load the SPP ammo until I have 1000, then it's worth switching primer systems and reloading a batch

:cheers:

Good idea. I've only got about 35 45acp brass with SPP now. But it was a mess to pick them out of 800 pieces. I threw them in a bag and set aside for now.

Top Bottom