• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have been reloading 44 REM MAG for a while and no issues.

I am new to 45ACP and not sure if my thoughts are correct.
    I keep finding conflicting information and now I am very confused.

My components are: LPP Brass, CCI LPPrimers, Hodgdon CFE and Berry's 230Gr PRN @ .452. (First time using Berry's bullets)
    The Hodgdon site shows a max load of 6.2gr and a C.O.L. 1.200"
    My Hornady reloading manual shows a max load of 6.9gr and a C.O.L. of 1.210 @ .451 (jacketed). It does not have a CFE listing for LRN @ .452.

Should the Berry's plated be treated the same as a cast LRN since the plating is more thin than what a jacketed RN would be?
    IOW, I think since the Berry's are .452, I need to drop the CFE from my planned 6.6 grains down to 6.2(max) or lower?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I would use the 6.2 at 1.2OAL. Run some base tests for speed and performance.

then tweak from there. The plain cast lead cannot be pushed as fast as plated or jacketed. Hard cast lead is a bit different. I’d shoot for mid line and tweak.

Last edited:

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Frequently Asked Questions
    https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Where can I find load data for your bullets?

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

• The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
    • Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
      • Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
      • Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
    • Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
    Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.
    Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.
    For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.
    Here are websites with load data information:
    Hodgdon Reloading | Home
    Load Data « Accurate Powders
    Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

NOTE for the above links, Hodgdons list load data for berrys bullets. And remember to start low and work up your loads and be safe.

Load data varies with the pistol and bullet used, and you can use the OAL method below for "YOUR" pistol. You would not use this method if your bulk loading for several different type pistols.

How to determine Max OAL for a CZ Pistol

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Should the Berry's plated be treated the same as a cast LRN since the plating is more thin than what a jacketed RN would be?
    IOW, I think since the Berry's are .452, I need to drop the CFE from my planned 6.6 grains down to 6.2(max) or lower?

This advice is for .45ACP ONLY. I run plated bullets hotter than my cast. I wouldn't run them as hot as I do jacketed, but I've had them up there with no issue. The reason I say .45acp only is that bullets with higher velocities will have different leading issues and I treat them as I do cast in my 10mm.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I’ve always understood it to run plated bullets like cast So load to cast specs. Also 45acp and plated bullets require a light crimp. Just enough to put a Light ring on bullet has worked best for me.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I run plated bullets just like jacketed, only not Berrys. Power bond or Zero are fine. CFE Pistol does appear to burn cleaner at the upper end of the charge weight.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    This advice is for .45ACP ONLY. I run plated bullets hotter than my cast. I wouldn't run them as hot as I do jacketed, but I've had them up there with no issue. The reason I say .45acp only is that bullets with higher velocities will have different leading issues and I treat them as I do cast in my 10mm.

That makes sense. Hot for 45ACP is still well below most 10mm velocities.
    Thank you.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I’ve always understood it to run plated bullets like cast So load to cast specs. Also 45acp and plated bullets require a light crimp. Just enough to put a Light ring on bullet has worked best for me.

(I have seen the Berry's FAQ before.)

Thank you. This makes perfect sense. And I agree on the crimp. My crimp is very light and leaves only a slight mark on the bullet.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    In reality you can basically use either of those load data. For .45ACP I load 230gr TBB or plated over 6.2gr of CFE Pistol at 1.260" for a velocity of ~760fps with SD in the low 20s.

The whole spiel about not pushing them too hard doesn't really matter for .45ACP and a 230gr bullet. Berry's recommendations of not to exceed 1,250 or 1,500 depending on plating level just doesn't apply. The maximum velocity you're going to see at safe loading levels for that caliber and weight of bullet won't exceed 1,000fps. You're probably going to blow your gun up or blow a case head off before you reach velocities where you have to worry about leading in this caliber.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    In reality you can basically use either of those load data. For .45ACP I load 230gr TBB or plated over 6.2gr of CFE Pistol at 1.260" for a velocity of ~760fps with SD in the low 20s.

The whole spiel about not pushing them too hard doesn't really matter for .45ACP and a 230gr bullet. Berry's recommendations of not to exceed 1,250 or 1,500 depending on plating level just doesn't apply. The maximum velocity you're going to see at safe loading levels for that caliber and weight of bullet won't exceed 1,000fps. You're probably going to blow your gun up or blow a case head off before you reach velocities where you have to worry about leading in this caliber.
    +1
    Hornady bullets are more of a truncated cone shape and can be loaded a little longer than RN. I load to 1.200" for both the RN and JHP that are more of a rounded shoulder. Both seem to run fine. I run middle of the road as a charge weight, just because I'm cheap and don't want to use any more powder than I need to especially for target ammo. The 230gr HP's I push to the max with Longshot, they perform really well in all my 45's.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Just finished up another 350 .45 ACP. Load 6.8gr. in mixed cases. The higher charge seems to shrink my groups. YMMV
    Good luck

Top Bottom