• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Took my new rifle out to the range to break it in today. It's a Bergara B 14 Ridge in 7mm-08. I had picked up some of the rifle line ammo from PPU to break it in. The first 4 rounds I tried to load would not let me close the bolt completely. The 5th round closed, but the bolt felt really tight. I put them all back in the box and grabbed the Winchester ammo I had instead and the gun ran beautifully. When I got home, I tried to chamber every round of the PPU I had and 37 out of 60 would not let me close the bolt. Anyone else ever have any problems with this ammo?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Grab a caliper start measuring the dimensions. Start with cartridge overall length first. Depending on the bullet and weight it should not be more than 2.800"

Max case length is 2.035" if longer it could cause problems.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Take a black sharpie and cover the bullet, neck and shoulder and then try to chamber and then you will see where the interference is happening.
    It will be the bullet length, neck length or rim to shoulder length.
    You also could drop both Win and PP cases in a case gauge and most likely you will see where the problem is. My bet is you have a tight chamber on your rifle and the PPU rounds are at the large end of that cartridges specs.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Bullets probably jamming into the lands. I had an old 308 that would do the same thing with any bullet over 180gr. Profile of the bullets were just enough to jam up. Don't attempt to fire them as it will probably blow out the back side of the case.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Bullets probably jamming into the lands. I had an old 308 that would do the same thing with any bullet over 180gr. Profile of the bullets were just enough to jam up. Don't attempt to fire them as it will probably blow out the back side of the case.

I'm going with this, especially if you're using 140 gr bullets. Bergara throats their barrels a little on the short side, and IIRC a lot of PPU bullets are fairly blunt. If this is the case, check the bullets and you'll see scratches in the jacket from the rifling.

Top Bottom