Up is down, left is right - apparently my pre-WuFlu component selection sucked.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I mean...I have enough to get me by for a few years if need be, but I'm currently learning a lesson I never even imagined.

I'm a precision shooter...2,3 & 600yds is where I like to be with my iron sight war horses, slung up in a 1907 style piece of leather. HPBT's were basically my ONLY choice in my price range if I wanted accuracy at a decent price point. Turns out, buying mostly all target projectiles for precision/accuracy has me scratching my head as to WHY ON EARTH I NEVER EXPECTED TO ACTUALLY HAVE TO EVER USE MY RIFLES FOR SELF DEFENSE!?!?!?

I'm lucky we seem to have had the exact opposite issue during the Obama years, where precision bullets were some of the toughest to get...so I have a few polymer tip and soft point projectiles in the stash to load up for the seemingly inevitable emergency that's likely fast approaching.

Did ANYONE ever think that they'd see this kind of unrest in the US in their lives? Did your component selection reflect that?

My comfort is in my skill/level of equipment, that if it came down to it I might be able to get away with 'T-box' shots if all these protesters come to my street or turn into flesh eating zombies...but MAN oh man do I wish I bought more jacketed hollow point pistol projectiles and soft point/polymer tip rifle bullets before all this garbage.

What's YOUR situation?

Anything you would have done differently or bought more of?

I know enough is never actually enough...but where what would make you more comfortable right now if you were sitting on it (stash-wise)?

Me? ...I needed more 1680 and should have bought it when I had the chance, plus the above mentioned projectile discrepancy. Of course, everyone wishes they had more primers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. We have been watching this come for some time. That it dropped on us so fast was a surprise but yeah, we figured it would be here sooner than later. I/we are not re-loaders but or firearms selection reflects our beliefs as does the ammo.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I too am a percision shooter, irons and a 1907 type sling hitting s target at 600 is what I live for, but I agree with you,I need to stock preloaded ammo or self defense components.

So after coming to this , I bought up a bunch of 62 grain ammo, and did some trading for some 55 grain bullets .....now I take all my "plinking" or "throw away" brass and load it for just that emergency where I might need it.

My next thought is how much good are my rifles? My national match is ok , but my space gun is completely useless in an emergency situation.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I too am a percision shooter, irons and a 1907 type sling hitting s target at 600 is what I live for, but I agree with you,I need to stock preloaded ammo or self defense components.

So after coming to this , I bought up a bunch of 62 grain ammo, and did some trading for some 55 grain bullets .....now I take all my "plinking" or "throw away" brass and load it for just that emergency where I might need it.

My next thought is how much good are my rifles? My national match is ok , but my space gun is completely useless in an emergency situation.

lucky for both of us, you really can only shoot one at a time!

if SHTF, i hope I have enough time to line up all my ladies in a row with corresponding match grade ammo, lol.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    lucky for both of us, you really can only shoot one at a time!

if SHTF, i hope I have enough time to line up all my ladies in a row with corresponding match grade ammo, lol.

Somehow I got lucky....my national match & my space gun like the same load ....no need for 2 different loads.....

Are you an NRA guy or a CMP guy? What clubs do you shoot at?

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Somehow I got lucky....my national match & my space gun like the same load ....no need for 2 different loads.....

Are you an NRA guy or a CMP guy? What clubs do you shoot at?

Both...started with CMP but have been doing NRA matches since I moved to Indy last December. My club (Old Trails in Richmond) does 200/300yd matches through the year on 2nd and 4th Sundays every month.

This was supposed to be my first year going to nationals at Camp Perry, but we know what happened with that.

Have also been doing High Power at Camp Atterbury with CIHPRS out to 600yds to keep me sane, but I'm finding out that I'm not so competitive without an optic. I DID manage to buy a flat top upper and a 4.5x optic pre-Covid and have been breaking it in since the spring...but not quite ready to make the switch.

Needless to say I have plenty of 77's, 155's, 168's and 175's to get me through at least 4 years of a democrat should we be so unlucky this fall. But given THIS curve ball recently, I might be mag dumping with my match rifles, lol.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I was a little worried until I actually did a physical inventory last week. It is a good way to turn up stuff I had misplaced. Also Mrs. slonsteady did not bat en eyelash when I told her what we had. Still could balance the components out a little better with 2000 more SP primers. I can sit this one out until (maintaining my optimism) normal returns.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I was a little worried until I actually did a physical inventory last week. It is a good way to turn up stuff I had misplaced. Also Mrs. slonsteady did not bat en eyelash when I told her what we had. Still could balance the components out a little better with 2000 more SP primers. I can sit this one out until (maintaining my optimism) normal returns.

Better grab what you can when it's available. Normal may never return.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Makes us all understand the importance of across the board gun rights and not allowing infringements on mag capacity or other items that some may not think affect them directly (not saying anyone in this thread does/did that, just that we need to be vigilant on rights about even things that didn't seem like a concern in other times).

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm confused,
    Is this a political thread or reloading thread?

As for the political component, no comment.

History... was 8 years of "Obamers is cumin' fer yer guns!", All we did was gain right to carry in places we didn't before.
    Never seen any of this under Obama, or any other president back to Nixon with the anti-war protesters, and the criminal groups that formed to bomb each other back then, bombs often being the choice of the far right & far left, criminals, etc.

I'm sure a lot of guys scared now don't remember the 1,000 bombings a year and murders like crazy back then, and there are a LOT more people in the US than there was back then, so take population into consideration when googling your fingers off...

Homeland bough up every bullet in sight, so reloading got hot under Obama, it wasn't panic buying, it was simply the ammo manufacturers had licencing obligations to supply the government agencies first, and let's face it, the government was paying 2 to 3 times as much per round than we do.

As for BULLET SELECTION, anything that shoots in a pinch, there is a reason casting lead got real popular again, real fast a few years ago...

First round placement always wins while spray & pray is ineffective.
    According to the FBI stats (the last time I bothered to look),
    Most outdoor shootings in the US are under 47 yards, the distance from streets to buildings/building to building (see drive by shootings),
    Over 100 rounds are expended for each hit, over 1,000 for each fatility.

Police do a little better, but not all that much...

My suggestion would be to buy from a manufacturer, by weight, not piece count.
    I get a bulk bin in every once in a while, since we all shoot about the same thing and count/box our own up out of a bulk bin when it gets here.
    Ask about factory seconds, tarnished/discolored in particular.
    The sales guy will have to walk to the back and look to see what's there since it's not on inventory, but it's one heck of a deal! (Slightly over mixed metal scrap weight)

*IF* all they have is oversized (worn jacket dies) then invest in a plate roller to resize in volume.

Got any idea how many bullets come in a 4'×4'×3' deep bulk bin?
    Better have friends that want to shoot the same bullet or you won't get to the bottom in your lifetime.
    Also, have a strong fork truck available, the little ones won't lift it.
    It is, after all, 4,000-5,000 pounds of lead and copper when it arrives...

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I'm confused,
    Is this a political thread or reloading thread?

As for the political component, no comment.

History... was 8 years of "Obamers is cumin' fer yer guns!", All we did was gain right to carry in places we didn't before.
    Never seen any of this under Obama, or any other president back to Nixon with the anti-war protesters, and the criminal groups that formed to bomb each other back then, bombs often being the choice of the far right & far left, criminals, etc.

I'm sure a lot of guys scared now don't remember the 1,000 bombings a year and murders like crazy back then, and there are a LOT more people in the US than there was back then, so take population into consideration when googling your fingers off...

Homeland bough up every bullet in sight, so reloading got hot under Obama, it wasn't panic buying, it was simply the ammo manufacturers had licencing obligations to supply the government agencies first, and let's face it, the government was paying 2 to 3 times as much per round than we do.

As for BULLET SELECTION, anything that shoots in a pinch, there is a reason casting lead got real popular again, real fast a few years ago...

First round placement always wins while spray & pray is ineffective.
    According to the FBI stats (the last time I bothered to look),
    Most outdoor shootings in the US are under 47 yards, the distance from streets to buildings/building to building (see drive by shootings),
    Over 100 rounds are expended for each hit, over 1,000 for each fatility.

Police do a little better, but not all that much...

My suggestion would be to buy from a manufacturer, by weight, not piece count.
    I get a bulk bin in every once in a while, since we all shoot about the same thing and count/box our own up out of a bulk bin when it gets here.
    Ask about factory seconds, tarnished/discolored in particular.
    The sales guy will have to walk to the back and look to see what's there since it's not on inventory, but it's one heck of a deal! (Slightly over mixed metal scrap weight)

*IF* all they have is oversized (worn jacket dies) then invest in a plate roller to resize in volume.

Got any idea how many bullets come in a 4'×4'×3' deep bulk bin?
    Better have friends that want to shoot the same bullet or you won't get to the bottom in your lifetime.
    Also, have a strong fork truck available, the little ones won't lift it.
    It is, after all, 4,000-5,000 pounds of lead and copper when it arrives...

need any new friends? i know someone who's looking :D

i started casting a few years back for pistol for the simple reason that I had an endless supply of lead. I worked at a junk yard with a used tire shop and we'd have so much damn lead at the end of a month, I couldn't even process it all. fast forward to last year and my move to Indy (from Massachusetts) and I just couldn't justify moving hundreds of pounds of unprocessed lead. so away most of it went.

well, there's more where that came from, I guess.

interesting statistics from the FBI, btw...i think i've read/heard all that before. it really seems unbelievable that all those rounds go to waste, but when you really think about it...it's not so far fetched.

not a political post at all...just some self reflection and lessons learned in public view so maybe someone else can avoid the same mistakes down the road.

one thing is true and i've been telling myself every day...I've NEVER even once regretted buying too much ammo.

stay stockpiled, my friends!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    There isn't any such thing as 'Too Many 'Friends'.
    The problem is with people that want something... See how many 'Friends' you suddenly have if you win the lottery....

I have no issues selling bullets, or even primers/powder to other reloaders, I consider it a 'Group Buy'.
    I've done the same thing with cartride brass, Solar Power equipment, furnaces & air conditioners, farming equipment, etc.
    With my business I just never knew when I was going to run into big deals, and I had the money to buy out big lots of overstock.
    Every manufacturer has a warehouse full of 'Scratch & Dent' they want to reclaim the space, and if you don't mind dents & scratches, or just last year's model, it's HUGE savings.

I don't mind last year's model (with full warranty) when I'm saving 75-80% of retail cost...
    You can't see the dent in the side of the cloths dryer when it's sitting up against the washer, and it was 80% off,
    The light yellow stain on the washing machine lid got me 75% off retail.

The dulling of copper jackets on bullets is a big issue for manufacturers, you can't polish bullets 30,000 pounds at a time (efficiency) because they deform each other...
    But 500-1,000 bullets at a time in a home tumbler doesn't deform them, and I have the time when I get premium .308 for 3¢ each...
    3¢ is more than they get for bullets as 'Mixed Metel' (Lead/Copper) at the salvage smelters...
    Since I travel in a bigger truck a lot, I simply pick them up and bring home, no shipping cost.
    The bins fit in a car trailer as well as they do in big delivery trucks that will charge you up to $4 per mile!

Now, primers/powder are a different story, they are Hazardous Materials, oxidizers & explosives in specific,
    You would need a properly licenced driver and marked/placards on the vehicle/trailer.
    I have those certifications, so it's not a huge deal for me, but other groups might have issues...
    Of course, I would help out some locals if they couldn't find their own guy, that's part of being friends/friendly.

If you did buy powder or primers in bulk, it would have to be packaged and disbursed in short order, like guys waiting for it to arrive.
    Storage of powder/primers have some very specific QUANTITY limits without very specific storage facilities. (Certified explosives bunkers)

Everyone should know that BULK is so very much cheaper than consumer packaged, but then again, there are so many that simply refuse to work with others no matter what the benefits.

Top Bottom