• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    What kind of volume is needed for a progressive stage press to be worth the extra cost over a single stage? Some people say the single stage is a waste since a lot of people out grow them, but others say it's a good starting point.

Opinions?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What kind of volume is needed for a progressive stage press to be worth the extra cost over a single stage? Some people say the single stage is a waste since a lot of people out grow them, but others say it's a good starting point.

Opinions?

Ive been loading for a lot of years. I guess I still havent gotten to the point I out grow my single stage. I have gotten to the point I added a progressive, but I still use my single stage as much or more than the progressive.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd look at the Lee turret press. My goal is to have a progressive press for 223 and 9mm and keep my turret press for low volume "hand loads".

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use my single stage and turret presses way more than I ever used a progressive. Eventually sold the progressive. This is over several hundred thousand rounds loaded over the last 25-30 years.

If you are cranking out a lot of the same kind of ammo then a good progressive is worth the money (Dillon...). It's not a matter of outgrowing, it's a matter of what your mission is.

Personally, I enjoy reloading just as much as I do shooting.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    How much time do you have to dedicate to reloading?
    It's not something you want to be in a rush doing, a progressive can put out more volume in a set amount of time vs single stage. I still use a single stage, but have plenty of time to put into it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think it comes down to what I think you are asking: volume. If you shoot a lot, being able to load rounds faster is a benefit.

For me, I don't shoot 10's of thousands of rounds per year so a single stage is fine. I can easily find time here and there throughout the week to load up 100-300 rounds which is more than I shoot on a typical weekend.

Combine that with some downtime during winter months and more time to load in the winter, I have never run out of ammo or had to hastily sit down and load some up for the upcoming weekend.

If I was shooting like my brother, a couple times per week practice and a match every weekend pretty much throughout the year, I'd look at a progressive. He has a Dillon 550 I believe.

I don't think a single stage is a waste. If I ever got into long range rifle shooting for accuracy, I would prefer to load on a single stage.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    I picked up a lee progressive on the cheap. Since I prefer to decap and prime seperately, I crank out 250-300 rounds an hour on both a turret and a progressive.

I guess if you're good doing it all with the stroke of a handle a progressive is worthwhile. I use my single stage the most by far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Started out on a 3 hole turret, went to 4 hole turret, then thought I needed a LNL Progressive just after they came out. When I downsized later after a move two 4 hole turrets are the only presses that remained, your needs may be different.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Ive been loading for a lot of years. I guess I still havent gotten to the point I out grow my single stage. I have gotten to the point I added a progressive, but I still use my single stage

This, but edited. Volume loading on the progressive, but I use my single stage for deprimeing bottle neck cartridges, 223,308,30-06

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    So far I’ve found bottle necked cases are a pain on progressives. Case prep being the reason. Straight wall cases once setup are a breeze. Had a turret and it was worn out so bought progressive. Still seriously thinking about buying a single or another turret press.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still reload on the RCBS press I bought back in the 70s, I've got others that I use progressive and single, they all do a good job reloading ,making cases or sizing lead bullets.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    For plinking/volume/blaster ammo...progressive press. I use mine for 45 and 9 and receive a great deal of satisfaction being able to make 1000 rounds in a day.

Turret for everything else and "special" loads. I'm certain my precision loads have more run-out than other presses would provide, but I'm limiting myself to only two presses (mostly due to space). Until I was trying to keep up with shooting 9mm all the time, my turret was just fine.

For starting out most people will advise to start with a single stage or turret until you are experienced with the process.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I just started, but for pumping out 9mm I bought a cheap Lee Pro 4000 progressive. It's easy as can be, and I can crank out a couple hundred rounds in no time.

I plan to load 223/300 blackout in the future and I'll probably look at a turret or good single stage for that. I think they could both be done on my Pro 4000, but I'll ease into it with a single stage first.

9mm is where my shooting volume lays so loading it on progressive is a good return on investment for me.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Ive been loading for a lot of years. I guess I still havent gotten to the point I out grow my single stage. I have gotten to the point I added a progressive, but I still use my single stage as much or more than the progressive.

At one time I operated 7 Dillon Presses and 1 Rock Chucker. All Dillons were for pistol ammo and RCBS Single stage was for rifle. Being older now I streamlined to 3 new 550C’s and my old Rock Chucker.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use a turret press for fast reloading such as handgun rds or bulk 5.56mm, or 308 Win. When reloading the 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Remington Mag, 308 Win match grade, and 5.56mm match grade i use my single stage.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Single stage is a good starting point. When and if you decide to get a progressive there is always a use for the single stage.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Single stage is a good starting point. When and if you decide to get a progressive there is always a use for the single stage.

This seems to be the consensus. A lot of people move on to progressive, but theres always a need/reason to keep the single stage around.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    If you are cranking out a lot of the same kind of ammo then a good progressive is worth the money (Dillon...). It's not a matter of outgrowing, it's a matter of what your mission is.

This has me leaning towards the single stage. I plan to load 3 handgun rounds and possibly a couple rifle. A few hundred rounds of each would last me a bit.

Top Bottom