Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Single stage vs progressive reloading presses

What kind of volume is needed for a progressive stage press to be worth the extra cost over a single stage? Some people say the single stage is a waste since a lot of people out grow them, but others say it's a good starting point.

Opinions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierHunter07 View Post
    What kind of volume is needed for a progressive stage press to be worth the extra cost over a single stage? Some people say the single stage is a waste since a lot of people out grow them, but others say it's a good starting point.

Opinions?
    Ive been loading for a lot of years. I guess I still havent gotten to the point I out grow my single stage. I have gotten to the point I added a progressive, but I still use my single stage as much or more than the progressive.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

User Info Menu

I'd look at the Lee turret press. My goal is to have a progressive press for 223 and 9mm and keep my turret press for low volume "hand loads".

User Info Menu

I use my single stage and turret presses way more than I ever used a progressive. Eventually sold the progressive. This is over several hundred thousand rounds loaded over the last 25-30 years.

If you are cranking out a lot of the same kind of ammo then a good progressive is worth the money (Dillon...). It's not a matter of outgrowing, it's a matter of what your mission is.

Personally, I enjoy reloading just as much as I do shooting.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Marksman

User Info Menu

How much time do you have to dedicate to reloading?
    It's not something you want to be in a rush doing, a progressive can put out more volume in a set amount of time vs single stage. I still use a single stage, but have plenty of time to put into it.

User Info Menu

I think it comes down to what I think you are asking: volume. If you shoot a lot, being able to load rounds faster is a benefit.

For me, I don't shoot 10's of thousands of rounds per year so a single stage is fine. I can easily find time here and there throughout the week to load up 100-300 rounds which is more than I shoot on a typical weekend.

Combine that with some downtime during winter months and more time to load in the winter, I have never run out of ammo or had to hastily sit down and load some up for the upcoming weekend.

If I was shooting like my brother, a couple times per week practice and a match every weekend pretty much throughout the year, I'd look at a progressive. He has a Dillon 550 I believe.

I don't think a single stage is a waste. If I ever got into long range rifle shooting for accuracy, I would prefer to load on a single stage.
    Anything is possible

Plinker

User Info Menu

I picked up a lee progressive on the cheap. Since I prefer to decap and prime seperately, I crank out 250-300 rounds an hour on both a turret and a progressive.

I guess if you're good doing it all with the stroke of a handle a progressive is worthwhile. I use my single stage the most by far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Started out on a 3 hole turret, went to 4 hole turret, then thought I needed a LNL Progressive just after they came out. When I downsized later after a move two 4 hole turrets are the only presses that remained, your needs may be different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    Ive been loading for a lot of years. I guess I still havent gotten to the point I out grow my single stage. I have gotten to the point I added a progressive, but I still use my single stage
    This, but edited. Volume loading on the progressive, but I use my single stage for deprimeing bottle neck cartridges, 223,308,30-06
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne
    INGO# 3207

User Info Menu

So far Iíve found bottle necked cases are a pain on progressives. Case prep being the reason. Straight wall cases once setup are a breeze. Had a turret and it was worn out so bought progressive. Still seriously thinking about buying a single or another turret press.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast