• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    So I recently got a Taurus 44 4", and I've just gotten set up to load for it. Problem is that with the current nonsense going on, the only powder suitable for it that I could find was AA 7.

I've got some 240 gr XTPs, and I'd like to work up a defensive load with more thump than 44 spl, but still controllable... possibly 1100fps-ish. That seems to be below most published starting loads that I can find for 44 mag, and finding 44 spl data for AA7 has been a challenge.

Has anyone tried AA 7 for "reduced" 44 mag loads? Any experience you can share? Thanks!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I would suggest that you never go lower than the manufacture suggest with slow burning powders. Bad things happen quickly with reduced slow burner loads.

AA has no listing online for 44 Special with #7

I would use the 44 mag data with 44 mag cases... of 240 HDY XTP 14.5 grains of #7 1,145 fps
    16.1 of # 7 1,302 fps 34,800 1.560

If you need a [powder you can't find locally give Brian a call at Brians Surplus in Greentown, and give him your choices and he will be more than glad to bring what you need to the next gun show hes doing up north.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    There are plenty of American Made Powders that will work and in stock as well. 2400, Blue Dot, Unique, Bullseye, Green Dot, 296, H110, etc

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    Yeah, "in stock" was the problem. I was all the way to my mom's place in St. Louis last weekend before I saw much powder in stock again, and even then it was H110 which doesn't reduce well.

Clay pigeon - thanks, that starting load is close to what I had in mind. I'll brew up a few and try them out.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    It’s hard to reduce a magnum with magnum grade powders...you get off into the weeds when suggesting others not in print.

Do some searches, I’ve managed to find 850-900 with other powders, but it was a long drawn out test, and a powder you wouldn’t think of using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    As some have stated, do not reduce charges of magnum, slow burning powders; especially 296/H110. For what you are looking for, AA#5 and Unique are good powders. I'm sure there are others, but I do not have experience with them. I would keep it in that burning rate range. I don't think fast powders (Bullseye, Clays, etc) would work well either. Most of my reduced 44 mag loads are with cast bullets, so I don't have any lower powder loads with jacketed bullets.

The load data Clay Pigeon gave looks like the way to go with AA#7. The loads he listed are right out of Accurate Arms' recent load data booklet. That data is for an 8 1/4" barrel, so the starting load should be around the velocity you are looking for. You may not need to look any further than that data and AA#7. Good luck. Sounds like a fun gun. If you want load data for cast bullet plinking loads, I've got a few great loads for that. L8R.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I recently got a Taurus 44 4", and I've just gotten set up to load for it. Problem is that with the current nonsense going on, the only powder suitable for it that I could find was AA 7.

I've got some 240 gr XTPs, and I'd like to work up a defensive load with more thump than 44 spl, but still controllable... possibly 1100fps-ish. That seems to be below most published starting loads that I can find for 44 mag, and finding 44 spl data for AA7 has been a challenge.

Has anyone tried AA 7 for "reduced" 44 mag loads? Any experience you can share? Thanks!

What you need to do is look up loads for the 44 special with 240gr bullets. Then look at the powders listed and grab a 1lb or more of it. AA#5 is pretty versatile power if you can find it.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    What you need to do is look up loads for the 44 special with 240gr bullets. Then look at the powders listed and grab a 1lb or more of it. AA#5 is pretty versatile power if you can find it.

That will not give him the load he is looking for. Here is 44 Special data with AA#5 from Western Powders' latest booklet.
    240 SIERRA JHC 5.8 640 fps 6.5 730 fps 14,000 1.485

The data for AA#7 (mentioned by Clay Pigeon earlier) is the way to go with the powder and bullet he has. The starting load mentioned should be just what mr_camera_man is looking for. I used to shoot a lot of 44 mag. I have 8 loads that I worked up, half of which are light, cast bullet loads. I have never used 44 special brass, only mag brass. Stick with the mag brass.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So he's looking for a light magnum load. Not anemic.

I've loaded 44 special type loads in 44mag brass for my father. He likes them much better. AA#5 was what I used for his loads. I went with 7gr it worked out perfect. The velocity was around 820 fps out of his 7.5" barrel.

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    So he's looking for a light magnum load. Not anemic.

I've loaded 44 special type loads in 44mag brass for my father. He likes them much better. AA#5 was what I used for his loads. I went with 7gr it worked out perfect. The velocity was around 820 fps out of his 7.5" barrel.

Yes. Here is what he is looking for, in his words:

I've got some 240 gr XTPs, and I'd like to work up a defensive load with more thump than 44 spl, but still controllable... possibly 1100fps-ish.

I've loaded fairly light loads with AA#5 like you. My pet load is 10.0gr of AA#5 w/ 240gr cast bullet @ 1050 fps. Great out of my 7.5" Redhawk for Field Pistol silhouette loads (out to 100 yards).

The 44 mag is the most versatile revolver round, I think. Years ago at a cowboy match, my wife won some 165gr cast 44 bullets. Cowboy shooters like their light bullets. I didn't know they made them that light. I worked up a load with 5gr of Clays. It is like a pellet gun out of the Redhawk. I also have some 300gr loads with hard cast bullets. That's a wide range of bullet weights.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting, I did not know anybody made a 165 grain 44 caliber bullet. 8 grains of unique has been my go to load for 240 grain cast in 44 magnum and 200 grain cast in 44-40.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    When looking for a 44+P defense handload, there are few things to consider. First, 44mag brass being longer makes a cylinder reload more challenging. Second, for 240 or 246 grain bullets Unique does a nice job with case volume and consistency. I have used 6 grains forever in this load. Third, the carbon ring that develops in the chamber by using Spcl brass is not a problem that routine maintenance can’t handle. Fourth, combat defense is a different application than IHMSA or hunting with 44magnum guns where POI varies depending on barrel length and velocity so the 4 inch defense will adhere better to trajectory changes.

Work up some loads and enjoy, if the OP wants I will give you a pound of Unique to try.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    check this link to MD SMITH
    Reloading .44 Special Page
    they have 240gr lead with & w/o gas ck data for AA7

BTW I think you are getting too hung up about 44mag vs 44 spl and maybe 4" barrel?

with the 240gr XTPs & AA7 just use starting load and shoot it.

you said that's the only powder you could find so shoot it.

I handload & shoot for 38/357 , 41mag, 44mag, & 500 S&W Mag.

the 357 & 500 are both 4 inch S&W revolvers

the 41 mag is 6 in S&W Revolver

the 44 mag is 7 1/2 inch Ruger Revolver.

I can load any if these to such mild loads just about any body can shoot them easily using cast OR jacketed bullets......
    so can you.

I ALSO do the same with my centerfire rifles with 10grs. of Unique in 300 wby 30-30 30/06 7mm rem mag 308 win 7mm-08 and works like a charm..... just be careful cause I use this combo in strong bolt/lever guns...... I have owned from new.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy loaded up some Specials so my ol lady could try my Old Model Superblackhawk.
    They were very light w a 255gr cast.
    Pop gun.

Crazy.

They hit high.

Unlike the 180 JHPs I had on 31.5 gr of WW296 ;)

Didn't really mess w the specials, or lighter .44 mag loads myself. Always ran 180, 200, 240 and 255 gr as fast as I could.
    Accuracy was exceptional. Blast was pretty bad, esp on the lighter bullets, plus a bit of flame cut.

They all zipped through deer though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    justynrhynesr
    Top Bottom