Picked a heck of a time to stop sniffing glue...I mean get into a new caliber !

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I know, buy ‘em cheap and stack ‘em deep.

I did that. I have sufficient food for all my guns, but what about that beautiful orphan sitting alone in the case?

It followed me home, and now there is ZERO 45acp in the cupboard.

Here’s to hoping one of the usual stores has SOMETHING in-stock. [raises glass]

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    atc.gif

I realize the thread is already 3 days old but someone has to do it. :D

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So why do people not like steel case ammunition?

Steel holds heat. Barrel makers like their barrels to be tight as possible for accuracy. Shoot a few rounds, the barrel gets really hot. The casing in the barrel throat gets hot and the small casing expands faster than the barrel. If it does eject, it's not good for the barrel throat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Steel holds heat. Barrel makers like their barrels to be tight as possible for accuracy. Shoot a few rounds, the barrel gets really hot. The casing in the barrel throat gets hot and the small casing expands faster than the barrel. If it does eject, it's not good for the barrel throat.

Actually I think it's the opposite problem. Steel doesn't expand as much as brass when it's fired, so it doesn't get a good seal and you get a lot of blowback of powder residue so your gun gets dirty faster, and that's what can start causing extraction issues. At least that's the way I've heard it explained to me.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I was wrong. What I was told is brass cools faster than steel. But you may be on to something. Still, I can't use it. :spend:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Rereading that, I think I said the same thing I did earlier, but in a different way. Or I said it in a different way, but the same.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The brass casing should expand faster, making a better seal. And cool faster. And being a softer metal, won't damage the barrel throat.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I would disagree it may extract easier. I had them stuck in a couple AR's. I haven't had a problem with brass.

That's one point I noticed he kind of contradicted himself. He admitted to having them stuck and having to drive it out with a steel cleaning rod at the range.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would say if your gun can shoot off a few mags of steel, go for it. I think brass will play nice to your barrel and keep the gun cleaner. If mine shot steel, I would have been shooting it. Now I won't buy steel because all the problems I had with it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    That's one point I noticed he kind of contradicted himself. He admitted to having them stuck and having to drive it out with a steel cleaning rod at the range.

I had to do that. One wouldn't budge and went to JR's. He said no more steel, it tears them up.

Top Bottom