• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's right in there with H335 and BLC2. Load data about the same as AA #2520.
    Will be using the CCI-450's because they're there for the using (but I like mag primers because of not having a need for less fire).

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It's right in there with H335 and BLC2. Load data about the same as AA #2520.
    Will be using the CCI-450's because they're there for the using (but I like mag primers because of not having a need for less fire).

Very good :yesway:, I have a bunch of pulldown WC 846 ( BLC2 ) WC 5010 and 4198 from when it was 64 bucks for 32 lbs picked up on the loading dock, I bought long ago in the metal one gallon paint thinner cans, that I use for blasting 223 ammo. I used to have a few gallons of 30 carbine primers that were punched from demilling at Talon that were gonna get dumped in oil and I mooched them when I was there one afternoon. I never thought about driving with a few gallons of primers that the anvil had been seated already.... All that stuff that was available and dirt cheap and everywhere back then. Talon just flooded the market with product...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    But stay away from 2520. Hard on throats, very temp sensitive.

Thats interesting, I have never used it, but I will read up. Thanks..

I have been running N550 with two 700's shooting 175's pushed HARD the last two summers and it looks like its a rebarrel this winter with trashed throats with both.. #sadface

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Still have some 2520. Should try it with heavy cast loads where the slow burning rate of the powder is used to whoosh the gooshy soft lead velocity higher without developing pressures high enough to put the bullet base into accuracy destructive deformation. I've got four 1990's era Accurate manuals around here and should maybe look through the data to make up loads for like .35 Remington, 9.3x74 and such.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Still have some 2520. Should try it with heavy cast loads where the slow burning rate of the powder is used to whoosh the gooshy soft lead velocity higher without developing pressures high enough to put the bullet base into accuracy destructive deformation. I've got four 1990's era Accurate manuals around here and should maybe look through the data to make up loads for like .35 Remington, 9.3x74 and such.

Its interesting that you mention running cast, I am involved with a active group buy on Cast Boolits with a 75 grain .224 multi cavity mold order.

ACTIVE - 223/556 NATO HEAVY 75g HP or Solid - AR15 Rifle round

I only have one old AA book and its from that time period also, its the thick red one. Maybe #1 book. Thats what I like about using the Quickload software.
    I can see whats going to happen before leaving the loading room. The fun never ends...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The flat base of the SMP seats about 3/4's of the way from the base of the neck to the base of the shoulder.
    Started out at 24 grains. In one 5.56 there's no significant pressure sign on the primer until 26.5 grains. And it looks like there's a ways yet to go.

Looks like the SRB-118 is certainly workable. The brief load table supplied by Accurate says 27 grains for .223 Remington, a 62 FMJBT, 3124FPS @ 48,700CUP. It doesn't call out any other characteristics of the load or the test gun.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What rifle are you shooting these out of please. My quickload does not have the 118 powder, I will ask around if someone else has it to load on my laptop.

And GI or commercial brass...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Right now I'm working a batch of several hundred once fired FC which were segregated out during processing in '17, which weigh the same as some GI brass and less than other GI brass (not all mil spec being created equal). At the time short necks were also grouped out for initial load development. There's not just one piece these will be used in.
    Why do you ask? Thinking about barrel length and twist?

I don't really care for the cartridge due to its limited utility with cast. My idea of smallbore is about 7/16" and going below that is micro miniaturization of components like with a 25-35. But yeah then again, this 118 powder might make 100 plus grains of wheel weights (with some babbitt mixed in:)) sit up and act right in the 25-35 as well.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    More curiosity than anything, twist and length can change a bunch or things.

Why do you think you will need to go harder than wheel weights? Have you ever just added copper to the wheel weights instead of going to babbitt?
    Do you know what babbitt you have? I have a bunch of #1 and heavy pressure babbitt I pulled out of large bearing caps eons ago.
    I have been amazed at how fast one can push putty 20-1, with good sizing and even more important enough good lube to make it down the bore without running out.
    I hve never played with cast smaller than .310 so when this new .224 75 grain AR bullet. I'll shoot it out of a 1-9 twist 700 before it heads to the AR's, it will be interesting to see how fast I can push it and how fast it looses yaw.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've got a couple of spools of #2 babbitt wire. Picked them up in Houston about ten years ago. They're either thirty or forty pounds each. I forget and haven't pulled them out from under the garage shelves since I went carpenter crazy last year. The chemistry is about 89% tin, 7 1/2% antimony and 3 1/2% copper. Can produce some different alloys when you're melting down scrap lead, chemical plant piping and the connections. When you hit the right tempo and get up and running it can produce good bullets, but the weirdo crystallization you get sometimes across a broad range of temperatures can make you work for it.
    :)

This 118 would probably be superduper in the .35 Remington.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Up to 27.1 grains now with a compressed charge and the spent primers are looking more like a typical 5.56 load. Not really square cornered as is so often the case but the CCI450's are a pretty tough cup. And, with as large of a percentage variation in volume as .223 cases so often have, I'd just as soon blow a little out the muzzle unburned as not. In this first coffee can of brass I've FC cases with big internal volume differences, big enough as to visually change the powder level in the case neck.

Thinking this powder is going to be great with heavier bullets.

Top Bottom